Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Interesting battery issue

CrankyAl

Reaction score
Hi Folks,
I have an issue with my X-Star Premium. I am new to the forum and have not flown my drone yet. I do have an observation about powering up the drone itself. When I plug in the battery (batteryOFF) the drone goes thru the gimbal gyrations and the lights all come on and do their blinky stuff. Mind you the battery IS OFF.
I have watched oh so many Autel drone movies on YouTube and not one of the drones did this when the battery is first plugged in, not until the battery is actually tuned ON does the drone come alive. But mine comes on when I plug in a battery in the OFF mode. And folks I do know that the battery is off . AND the drones lights and stuff stay on after I turn the battery off.
What could be the problem? Should I go out and try to fly it or is there really a problem. I did buy another battery and it acts the same with the second battery.
Thanks

Reactions: Lewispeak
I'd be on the phone with Autel support before flying if it were me.

I'd be on the phone with Autel support before flying if it were me.
WildDoktor,
I did call support after your suggestion and they said take it back to Best Buy. I was a week past BB return time but they did
honor the return. I just did a swap for another Autel drone.. Thanks

Glad they took care of it. Do your homework on these batteries. They are not your average alkaline household battery. They require special care and if handled improperly they can be a huge fire risk. LiPo batteries are to be respected for sure. ;)

Here is a video that has some good info on them...

WildDoktor,
I did call support after your suggestion and they said take it back to Best Buy. I was a week past BB return time but they did
honor the return. I just did a swap for another Autel drone.. Thanks
Nice; glad they replaced it! How's the new one?

Nice; glad they replaced it! How's the new one?
The exchange drone checks out fine. Best Buy Geeks opened the box and checked out the drone and battery issue
before I left the store. Luckily the manager is a drone flyer and said I was right to bring it back and he honored the
over return date. Darn lucky on that one! High winds now so I still haven't been able to fly. BTW the store manager
offered to help me with my first flights! He has a pilots license "107" ? He fly's his commercially for real estate agents,
and other stuff.
My main reason to get a drone is to take pictures of trains from above. I am a railfan and ground pics are fine but go
on YouTube and look at some of the shots looking down on trains. Trains crossing trestles, trains coming out of tunnels,
trains going through canyons, and etc. Very different views and perspective than ground based views.
Thanks for the help folks.
Allan

Reactions: WildDoktor
Glad they took care of it. Do your homework on these batteries. They are not your average alkaline household battery. They require special care and if handled improperly they can be a huge fire risk. LiPo batteries are to be respected for sure. ;)

Here is a video that has some good info on them...

Thanks! I do know about LiPo dangers and do respect them a great deal. I used to be an aircraft mechanic in another lifetime and back in
the 60's and 70's we had trouble with Lithium based batteries way back then! Damn things would catch fire in the airplanes!! Not a great
thing to happen if you were flying at 35,000ft. But they were oh so much lighter that anything else available battery wise.
I saved the video to watch today, I noticed it has a lot to say about battery lifetime and how to get the best lifetime out of the battery unit.
Thank you for the heads up.
Allan

Thanks! I do know about LiPo dangers and do respect them a great deal. I used to be an aircraft mechanic in another lifetime and back in
the 60's and 70's we had trouble with Lithium based batteries way back then! Damn things would catch fire in the airplanes!! Not a great
thing to happen if you were flying at 35,000ft. But they were oh so much lighter that anything else available battery wise.
I saved the video to watch today, I noticed it has a lot to say about battery lifetime and how to get the best lifetime out of the battery unit.
Thank you for the heads up.
Allan
I like to practice the "10 & 10" method for my Lipo's. I run new Lipos for 10 minutes for the first 10 charges. After that I use them as normal. I feel it extends the life of them.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials