Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

I wont do it but what if

Peter Goldwing

Reaction score
I build 2-3 houses per year and Id like to make a good video of the one on the market. Id like to orbit around it then enter the garage and inside the house show around ,exit, gain altitude and then terminate the video.
But what happens when the Evo enters the house and loses satellite connection? will it shoot straight for the ceiling? How about woking it backwards, start in ATTI mode then exit the house? where will return home be?
Too many questions so I wont do it for the fear of damaging or losing the drone. But what if?

Last edited:
don't have link, but there's a YT with a guy flying down a hallway, into a room.
not for me, i'll just carry it around inside like go-pro stick

Yup not worth the trouble flying inside. Almost anything can happen. Thats why they have hand held gimbles for cameras. Take your shots\videos outside You can merge videos so it actually looks like you flew inside the house. Come up to the front door with the drone. Have someone inside open the door but not be seen. Fly right up to the entrance and stop. Use the hand held gimble from there. Merging the two inside and out side videos. Seen it done many times. Looks great.

I think it was .11 that introduced an Indoor Mode in the Flight Control settings. RTH settings would rely upon a GPS connection but does Indoor Mode completely disable RTH height/position? Who the hell knows. No matter, make sure you're using prop guards indoors just to be on the safe side.

Video aspect and presentation wise, doing a property and house orbit and then flying into the garage, or the front door in a seamless shot sounds like it would provide a rather interesting video. It's worth a go. As a test run and to get a feel of what would happen, you could break up the run into two parts; orbit and into and through the house. That would give you a good idea of what sort of battery usage you're looking at for what you are wanting to do. Doing that would give you a good idea if breaking it up with a transition is best or if doing a seamless run would be easy to pull off.

Good luck. Sounds like a fun project.

Yup not worth the trouble flying inside. Almost anything can happen.

Using features provided by the manufacturer, Indoor Mode, and making sure everything is on the safe side shouldn't stop people from using those features. Indoor Mode was created and provided for a reason.

I have these guards but have never used them; you could try them per the video:

or just get a Skydio 2. ;)

Haven't seen that yet, thanks for posting. That's a good point about Skydio but it says a lot when an entire state in the US gets a waiver for BVLOS for a specific manu/model for inspection services.

The over saturation of alerts, shown in that video, need to be sorted out. My experience indoors and in "altitude limited" airspaces, the video you posted and the video posted here is great examples of why this needs to be revamped. Alerting in general really. The Gimbal Not Ready alert is a good example of where Autel realized that they were a bit over the top.

That's the one,
I'll pass, there's just to much outdoors to fly indoors ;)

I build 2-3 houses per year and Id like to make a good video of the one on the market. Id like to orbit around it then enter the garage and inside the house show around ,exit, gain altitude and then terminate the video.
But what happens when the Evo enters the house and loses satellite connection? will it shoot straight for the ceiling? How about woking it backwards, start in ATTI mode then exit the house? where will return home be?
Too many questions so I wont do it for the fear of damaging or losing the drone. But what if?
If your drone goes inside the house, it will go into ATTI, therefore losing GPS and will not try to RTH, because it does not know where home is anymore.

You can also start the recording while holding the drone and take off at the end.

Another way is recording 2 different videos and stitching them together.

Buy propeller guards before you try it. When you go in the house follow the drone closely. You may have to turn off the anticollision sensors. If you don't the drone may refuse to fly through narrow areas.

Would I with the EVO? Simple answer is no. Do I fly indoors... Yes, but not with the EVO. I use my DJI Tello instead. One, it's a pocket drone and 2 it's easy to maneuver indoors and it has FPV as well. One time I flew it down the hall and into the bedroom where my wife was snoozing on the bed. Hovering above her, she woke up and needless to say, she was not happy. Dinner came from a cereal box that evening.........

In my view, the EVO is too big for tight places. The Tello isn't.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hakles