Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

How many of us have lost their Autel drones?

AnchorageAk

Reaction score
I lost my pro because when I put in lud mode, That's what I call it. I didn't check that the speed was 45. Still can't put the new one in that mode and get the 45. Winds aloft where more that 22. At times it was doing 0, to 5 to 6 miles per hour on the way home.If it could have done the 45, I believe it would have made it. It was lost at 900 feet from home point. The slow speed make this drone very damgerous to fly in any sort of high wind. The problem being is you don't know what the winds aloft are. In DJI there is sport mode. Most of us know why we use that setting.

Sorry to hear about the loss of your craft.

I also have a Mavic Mini that can’t handle winds as well as the Autel, and I’ve received high wind warnings on the Mini more than a few times.

First, I use a UAV weather app that gives a better idea of winds aloft. Usually, the higher you go...the worse the wind.

The first thing I do in the event of a wind warning is to lower the altitude of the craft. You’ll likely encounter less wind there.

While I wasn’t aware of the ability to set the top speed in ludicrous mode...that is the mo de that I would consider comparable to DJI Sport mode.

I have a good friend with an old Plymouth Road Runner, who often writes on social media that we all should “stay cool, beep beep”. The first time I got a high wind warning, I head to repeat to myself...stay cool...beep beep. Think, stay calm...lower altitude, check the map.

I know this is all too late for the OP, and I’m sorry they had this happen.

Reactions: Ram and Rubik3x
Sorry to hear of your loss, I’ve never lost an Autel but have loss a few Parrot Bebop. Use a tracker now, that’s helped me recover a few disconnects.

You mentioned the Evo 2 was flying 0, 5 to 6 MPH before landing 900 ft short. Was that due to the new 2.5.0 Firmware update issues many of us are having using the RTH feature?

With the new update, my Evo 2 will have weird flight speed behavior such as yours with using RTH. When this occurs, I’ll cancel RTH and fly it back manually.

Maybe Autel will replace your Evo 2 Pro, if loss is due to the 2.5.0 firmware update.

Have you checked your logs on last flight? This may show its last location.

Keep us posted,
Paul

Reactions: konoplya
Sorry for your loss, but.. for new pilots: search for "lost my drone". There are many stories, and most of them look alike. Hardware failures are rare, mostly pilots errors. Most popular are wind underestimation, not switching to the right mode, checking the max range without the skill to bring it back, flying on low battery, panicking while drone is still saveable..

Reactions: claudius62
Found the problem. It's the Ipad, or the software on it. I had forgot that I could not register, and bind the drone. Also, I could not set the speed to 45. I used the CS this morning and all those problems where solved. I had 22 minutes showing when it started home. That's a lot time for the distance it was at. Took 12 minutes to get there at 32 mph. Had a friend with me, we compared notes. That's how we came up with the numbers and time. i have five drones, been flying since the P4 came out. Almost all are amped. I sure it my fault, always is with the PIC. Not overly worried about that. Just wanted to know the "why".

Found the problem. It's the Ipad, or the software on it. I had forgot that I could not register, and bind the drone. Also, I could not set the speed to 45. I used the CS this morning and all those problems where solved. I had 22 minutes showing when it started home. That's a lot time for the distance it was at. Took 12 minutes to get there at 32 mph. Had a friend with me, we compared notes. That's how we came up with the numbers and time. i have five drones, been flying since the P4 came out. Almost all are amped. I sure it my fault, always is with the PIC. Not overly worried about that. Just wanted to know the "why".

At 32 MPH, looks like a six mile flight as crow flies. Evo 2 can’t go this distance with a safe return to launch pad, even though controller was showing 22 minutes battery life left when you started RTH. Probably had a tailwind which explains the 22 minutes of flight left, flying back against the wind went against you.

Maximum is 5.5 as crow flies at best with a safe return, even this is pushing the envelope. More like 5 to 5.25 miles as crow flies, going beyond is pushing the envelope.

I hope you find it, 900 feet isn’t that far. Still hope, don’t give up she’ll eventually surface.

Good luck,
Paul

Interesting. It was showing about two miles. It was not in a straight line. I was looking for a creek that flowed into the Beluga river. Very remote area. Did go down trying to find slower winds on the way back. Got all the way up to 12 mph. It was the Ipad, and not being about to go over 22mph, I think. On the P4, and Mavic, I would have gone to "S" mode, to punch throught the wind. I read on here where some one else had a problem getting the 45. He called Autel, and had him go back to a different version on firmware. I will look at the different versions on the IPAD, and compare them to the CS.

Yes! Great app, also available for iOS.

The only problem with such an app is where it gets the numbers from? Wild guess is the only way. Based on rudimentary high grain info from weather sites. In other words it's a scientific looking BS.

The only problem with such an app is where it gets the numbers from? Wild guess is the only way. Based on rudimentary high grain info from weather sites. In other words it's a scientific looking BS.

Based on an N=1 for me, today it worked well. Winds were gusting >25mph as a local airport and this app (correctly) advised against flight. YMMV of course. Best to use all available data, then make a go/no go decision.

I came close trice; both invoved LR. I did learn that Ludicrous mode is not something to be toyed with. I also learned that testing distance with the stock antennas (or any antennas, though ironically this was to get a "baseline" before the antenna upgrade) is not neccessary. I also learned that using L mode and those speeds is something to be reserved for very specific and appropriate reasons/shots, only within complete line of sight, and you shouldn't be able to see a tree or building without binoculars (or better yet, a telescope). The problem is you can go fast and far — and if you miscalculated winds, or somehow lose the ability to keep that speed on the return, the chance of loss is high.

I was glad to get in early on these: The AirBolt®: GPS - Global Tracking Like it Was Meant to Be

which tracker do you use if you don't mind sharing?
Dont mind sharing at all konoplya,

Trackimo Guardian, tracks worldwide. Use it for my top end drones, and soon with my larger RC airplanes especially my electric glider.

No regrets, been using Trackimo for three years now. Already recovered several drones, never fly without it.

Gold luck
Paul

Reactions: konoplya
Dont mind sharing at all konoplya,

Trackimo Guardian, tracks worldwide. Use it for my top end drones, and soon with my larger RC airplanes especially my electric glider.

No regrets, been using Trackimo for three years now. Already recovered several drones, never fly without it.

Gold luck
Paul

thanks buddy. any specific model from them? i'm looking at their site. are there subscription fees?

How about jut flying when weather is nice no wind or little wind Line of sight...That may help ever think of that..geezzz

thanks buddy. any specific model from them? i'm looking at their site. are there subscription fees?
Hello konoplya,

Sorry it took so long to answer, just now noticed you needed additional tracking information.

I’m using the Guardian model, from TRACKIMO. Subscription fees, first year are free with purchase of tracker. Afterwards, I pay $60 per year. Works out to $5 bucks per month, paying the $60 yearly fee. You’ll never loose another drone with trackimo, providing you’re not above water or in extremely rough terrain not assessable by foot.

Here are a few pictures, including a screen shot of trackimo app on my phone with tracker about 950 feet away. The blue circle dot is my phones location, the blue teardrop is the trackers location.

Good luck,
Paul

B489249B-6C22-4109-8807-F374F864FF23.jpegB489249B-6C22-4109-8807-F374F864FF23.jpeg97282683-6E46-4E74-A75D-5C72341C4F78.jpeg4B38C659-F0BC-42AE-86D2-05EE45FF0D92.jpeg5118E560-B3C4-43EB-93B3-1CD206F1B677.jpeg

Hello konoplya,

Sorry it took so long to answer, just now noticed you needed additional tracking information.

I’m using the Guardian model, from TRACKIMO. Subscription fees, first year are free with purchase of tracker. Afterwards, I pay $60 per year. Works out to $5 bucks per month, paying the $60 yearly fee. You’ll never loose another drone with trackimo, providing you’re not above water or in extremely rough terrain not assessable by foot.

Here are a few pictures, including a screen shot of trackimo app on my phone with tracker about 950 feet away. The blue circle dot is my phones location, the blue teardrop is the trackers location.

Good luck,
Paul

awesome, brother. thank you so much!

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials