Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

How close can the EVO follow you?

SwingNinja

Reaction score
I am thinking about shooting a video of me riding a bicycle, but there are trees in my area. So can EVO just follow me from behind (and about 6-8 feet high)?

I will not recommend if there are trees around. The Evo only have sensors in front and back... Not on the sides.

I am thinking about shooting a video of me riding a bicycle, but there are trees in my area. So can EVO just follow me from behind (and about 6-8 feet high)?
AS above, the Follow Me/tracking on any of the drones is going to be sketchy around trees. And will probably run right into them...I suggest finding an open spot (without trees, etc) to see how it does at the heights you want before attempting that in a tree-filled location

Reactions: Drgnfli

Much would depend on the type of trail you are riding on. If its a paved bike path with vegetation at the sides it is probably well 'groomed' and so there are no low-hanging overhead branches that would be a hazard providing you set the altitude of the craft at your head level or slightly higher. Of course you don't want the bird to be a safety hazard to any others using that path too. If you are bushwacking on a boondock trail that is unimproved it would be best to do a few dry runs to assess the potential for obstacles at your tracking level. And lastly the speed at which you are moving will affect the reaction time of the aircraft and software to adjust to changes in direction. A slow "ride thru" with the craft following is always an option, then in post just speed up the video frames a bit to represent the actual speed you want the viewers to perceive. Its called artistic license. :)

As a new owner pilot of an EVO I have only run through 6 batteries of flight time so far. My initial activities involved exploring the control systems and doing preliminary advanced flight modes testing, one of which was checking the accuracy and response of the Follow Me function. My practice field was a mowed hay field so there was no concern for obstacles. My filming 'needs' are based more on an earthbound observation perspective so my efforts were setting the aircraft at my eye level. All went well. And in fact I put the bird in backwards follow me from the front at head level just 8 feet in front of me and walking around in gradual course changes it performed perfectly. An effect I intend to use as I track hikers and climbers using all three follow me options, i.e. from rear, front, and side/parallel. There may be times I'll need to take the helm and fly the craft manually if terrain or physical barriers may produce negative results but I learned to fly with no GPS, no sensors, no FPV cameras....just fly by the seat of my pants with a battery, frame and four props. So attempting manual flight comes natural and very easy with these new sophisticated birds.

Reactions: SwingNinja

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy