Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Horrible artifacts...

Reaction score
Website
www.gaborbakos.com
Hi, I am a rookie in the Autel EVO II 8K universe and I have a question right away:

When I take a simple picture (8000x6000, ISO100, 1/500sec etc) then I get lot of weird artifacts (moire?) on pics.

I have attached two pictures. One of without any modification:

ae2p1.png

and the secound one with a simple sharpening in Lightroom (Just for the better illustration):

ae2p2.png

These artifacts completely kill the fine details, and this is visible on a large print. Is this the normal operation?

Thanks in advance,

Gabor

Last edited:
Hi Gabor,

the files you posted are DNG files, that means a RAW-format. First you have to develope the RAW-files before sharpening.

Michael

Its sounds like 8K version photo,I have compare 6k and 8k version , 8k version photo get more guess color at photo detail ,Im not sure is't a reason for this photo ?

Gabor, was the surface completely flat or there were some irregularities that cast small shadows? Maybe I'm wrong but light/dark areas of the artifacts are in line with sun direction when I compare to the big subjects.

How the image looks like after noise reduction applied? There is some luma and chroma noise visible. Was it really ISO 100 when you took the picture? I have 6K model and in early firmware version I noticed that ISO value in EXIF was not correct, it was fixed later on.

Gabor, was the surface completely flat or there were some irregularities that cast small shadows? Maybe I'm wrong but light/dark areas of the artifacts are in line with sun direction when I compare to the big subjects.

How the image looks like after noise reduction applied? There is some luma and chroma noise visible. Was it really ISO 100 when you took the picture? I have 6K model and in early firmware version I noticed that ISO value in EXIF was not correct, it was fixed later on.

Hi Andrzej,

Yes, the surface (water) is completely flat. I don't think it's noise. It's moire. It is sharper than the subject and is equally in the dark and light areas.

This is the original DNG file:

http://gaborbakos.com/download/GBA_200906_0717_AUTELE2_0152.dng

Gabor

It looks that very strong noise reduction is required for this photo. Was it really ISO 100?
1599548169909.png

I compared to my raw photo, but this is 6K camera model, 16MP photo, different sensor, it would be better to compare to another 8K instead.
Here EXIF says ISO 39 but in fact it was 400. Without noise reduction, zoom 600%:
1599548763303.png
With noise reduction - as strong as applied to your photo:
1599548793401.png
And the same with real ISO 100 (in EXIF ISO 9) without noise reduction:
1599549029916.png

It's difficult to conclude. Can you experiment with lower resolution and make sure about ISO? Maybe noise artifacts are somehow amplified for 48MP.

It looks that very strong noise reduction is required for this photo. Was it really ISO 100?
View attachment 8412

I compared to my raw photo, but this is 6K camera model, 16MP photo, different sensor, it would be better to compare to another 8K instead.
Here EXIF says ISO 39 but in fact it was 400. Without noise reduction, zoom 600%:
View attachment 8413
View attachment 8414
View attachment 8415

It's difficult to conclude. Can you experiment with lower resolution and make sure about ISO? Maybe noise artifacts are somehow amplified for 48MP.

Hi,

Yes, this is iso100! And the strong noise cancellation helps, but it also ruins useful details. Unfortunately, this is not noise. This is moire!

Hi,

Yes, this is iso100! And the strong noise cancellation helps, but it also ruins useful details. Unfortunately, this is not noise. This is moire!
IMHO moire can occur for a pattern existing in the subject of a photo, that should not be the case for flat surface, unless there were small waves on the water. If you think it's moire you can try try to reduce it, but you will get details lost similar way as in noise reduction case.

IMHO moire can occur for a pattern existing in the subject of a photo, that should not be the case for flat surface, unless there were small waves on the water. If you think it's moire you can try try to reduce it, but you will get details lost similar way as in noise reduction case.
I think this is geometric moire because the pattern is repetitive and can be found evenly on all surfaces.

Hi guy , just buy one evo 2 pro 6k , the images video or photo are many moire effect and the images result flat . In video that effect are many bad

View attachment 8412

View attachment 8413
View attachment 8414
View attachment 8415

Hi guy i buy yestarday an 6k pro and have the same problem in video and photo. Maire effects , flat , no detail , and de noise present.
Are very plastic effects. I have contact the support and if not resolve the problem i think sell it .

I think it may be an excess of sharpness present

These are tiny sensors and any image if you zoom in to 600% like the OP will reveal issues. Instead of pixel peeping what does the image look like at 100%? I have no complaints with what I am getting out of the EVO II 6K but also my expectations are realistic. Keep in mind the average image will be viewed at 640x480 on a cell phone for a few seconds before the viewer swipes NEXT......anything out of any modern drone is good enough for that.

Also, for the OP 8K out of a tiny 1/2.3 sensor is really nothing but bragging rights; cell phones have the same sensor. The EVO II 6K will definitely yield better results. But if you want wall prints that you can view from 2' away you will need to get a Matrice drone and a 50MP+ DSLR or mirrorless camera and hoist it into the air. I do know that I have building sized prints hanging downtown right now for commercial projects and they were shot with the 1" sensor of the P4....and no complaints from the client.

I think it may be an excess of sharpness present
Most people suggest reducing the sharpening in-camera. I've seen settings of -2 suggested.

Regarding OP's problem... 8k out of a 1/2.3" sensor was never going to be more than a gimmick, which is why I went 1" 6k.

Most people suggest reducing the sharpening in-camera. I've seen settings of -2 suggested.

Regarding OP's problem... 8k out of a 1/2.3" sensor was never going to be more than a gimmick, which is why I went 1" 6k.

I shoot video with -2 sharpness and -1 contrast in ALOG. But for RAW images sharpness settings have no affect on the RAW image...the settings only apply to JPGs and I believe the OP was shooting RAW.

8K was definitely a gimmick, to me 6K out of the 1" sensor is way more impressive than 8K out of the 1/2.3" sensor.

Reactions: hoyazot
Hi Guys, today other tests with my evo 2 6k. Of course, the transition from mavic 2 was not exactly painless and for this reason I may have expressed a too hasty judgment. I set the camera in 4K 25Fps (10bit 4.2.0) the only mode where you get the maximum color rendering (same as mavic 2) Profile LOG, profile style custom -2-1-1 manual exposure, autofous. Exceptional night shooting result, very very satisfied I came to set the camera at 3200 ISO and in post I worked the file, surprising the noise reduced to a minimum without loss of details. What did not satisfy me were the daytime shots and comparing with those of the mavic 2 I came up with the idea of abolishing the autofocus and calibrating the camera in manual focus at half of its scale, the result was very satisfactory with softer images and a better three-dimensional effect. In the meantime I am continuing to test the various settings and to master the application. The only negative note but this is very personal for me who have a pulpit guide is the ergonomics of the remote controller which when I position my phone is very unbalanced with premature fatigue of the fingers that support and manage the drone. Another thing I noticed that the camera does not have the Smooth setting, this is a lack that penalizes the perfect shooting movement, but at the time of writing I am trying the various exp settings to adapt everything to my shooting style. Grandiosa Autel Congratulations on a great product. Sorry for any mistakes but I don't speak English well See you in the next updates.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lmccaskill