Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Hello from Pittsburgh, PA

SnagsWolf

Reaction score
Pittsburgh is Steeler Country, but I'm more of a Penguin (hockey) fan. Was into model rocketry when I was younger, but I've been flying drones for a few years now. Started with a Syma helicopter, and moved up to the Syma X11 and Syma X8. First day I flew my X8 I got it stuck up in the top of a very tall tree. Tried everything to get it down, but it sat up there for 3 weeks. That's when my brother-in-law, who is on our town's city council, asked the fire department to help me out. They rolled up in their ladder truck and plucked it from the tree. It worked just fine, despite sitting exposed during a few thunderstorms.

Learned my lesson, and took it slow from that point. Used the X8 to take videos, but the quality was really lacking, between the poor quality camera, no gimbal, and all that jelly. Someday, I thought, I'll get a serious drone.

That day is now. Been researching for the past six months, trying to find the right drone. Started out coveting a Phantom, then considered a Mavic. But as I watched and waited, DJI's geo-fencing just turned me off. If it just kept you from flying where you shouldn't, I wouldn't have that much of a problem with it. But it seems they go way beyond that. And I saw first-hand how their customer support treated people. Enough people were raving about the Evo, so I decided it was time.

Looking forward to using the new drone, and making some quality video. They're building a new section of the PA Turnpike near my house, so I'm hoping to get some nice aerial shots of the progress. And there's the trip to Longboat Key Florida next month, so I'm expecting a chance for some spectacular beach and water shots. Might even start a Youtube channel.

A bit nervous about having a $1,000 bird in the air, but then again, I was nervous about having the $80 X8 in the air.

Looking forward to having some good conversation here. I'll be mostly asking questions at first, but hope to contribute as much as I can. I'm a software developer and a self-published author, so if anyone has questions about that, I might be able to help. And once I get flying with confidence, if anyone in the Pittsburgh area wants to get together and fly a little, I'm up for that too.

Shawn

Welcome to the Forum. I think you will enjoy your membership. There are many other members happy to provide assistance for any issues you may have, and those that may need information you bring. A lot of good information is already stored in existing threads.

Couple easy things:
1.) The search Icon is your friend. It's the magnifying glass near the upper right of the screen when you scroll all the way up. It can find many answers you will never find by yourself.
2.) Be aware that you won't always get a quick response. There are times when many other members are on line, and sometimes only a few. A response may not show up until the right person sees it.
3.) Be aware the forum is Global. If you are exchanging with a member on the other side of the world, response can get delayed and out of sequence due to a difference in local time.
4.) Although the Forum is global, the language is English. It is customary to translate other languages to English. Many members also include the original language post to help alleviate translation errors.
5.) Review the forum rules (on the bottom right). There are not too many, but it is important they are followed to keep the Forum a useful and happy place for everyone.

Welcome from Texas! I am originally from PA however and will be visiting the Lycoming County area in a couple of months. I still have property on the Susquehanna there.

Looking forward to having some good conversation here. I'll be mostly asking questions at first, but hope to contribute as much as I can. I'm a software developer and a self-published author, so if anyone has questions about that, I might be able to help. And once I get flying with confidence, if anyone in the Pittsburgh area wants to get together and fly a little, I'm up for that too.

Shawn

Welcome from NY, Shawn! I am travelling in and out of the PGH area for a bit, and look forward to bringing my Evo along (once I get more familiar with it) to capture some footage.

Pittsburgh is Steeler Country, but I'm more of a Penguin (hockey) fan. Was into model rocketry when I was younger, but I've been flying drones for a few years now. Started with a Syma helicopter, and moved up to the Syma X11 and Syma X8. First day I flew my X8 I got it stuck up in the top of a very tall tree. Tried everything to get it down, but it sat up there for 3 weeks. That's when my brother-in-law, who is on our town's city council, asked the fire department to help me out. They rolled up in their ladder truck and plucked it from the tree. It worked just fine, despite sitting exposed during a few thunderstorms.

Learned my lesson, and took it slow from that point. Used the X8 to take videos, but the quality was really lacking, between the poor quality camera, no gimbal, and all that jelly. Someday, I thought, I'll get a serious drone.

That day is now. Been researching for the past six months, trying to find the right drone. Started out coveting a Phantom, then considered a Mavic. But as I watched and waited, DJI's geo-fencing just turned me off. If it just kept you from flying where you shouldn't, I wouldn't have that much of a problem with it. But it seems they go way beyond that. And I saw first-hand how their customer support treated people. Enough people were raving about the Evo, so I decided it was time.

Looking forward to using the new drone, and making some quality video. They're building a new section of the PA Turnpike near my house, so I'm hoping to get some nice aerial shots of the progress. And there's the trip to Longboat Key Florida next month, so I'm expecting a chance for some spectacular beach and water shots. Might even start a Youtube channel.

A bit nervous about having a $1,000 bird in the air, but then again, I was nervous about having the $80 X8 in the air.

Shawn
What’s up buddy, I started with the syma’s as well then flying my buddies Magic’s. I am from about an hour south of Pittsburgh and about 6 months ago bought the autel evo! I absolutely love it besides a few forward control problems I keep having.. I learned the hard way and had to find the few do’s and don’t put about this Byrd however now that I have I love it. On a side note autels service department has been top notch as well.. there is a few flaws with the evo but over all ya save a few hunnie over the dji’s and it’s a blast buddy!

Thanks for all the welcomes. I'm enjoying the positive attitudes on this forum.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials