Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Hello from Alaska!

Alaska

Reaction score
New to real drones after flying a toy Syma for a while. First flight today, 14 degrees and 12" snow. Hope to learn some good stuff here!MAX_0043.JPG

You're off to a good start in a couple of ways: Alaska's scenery & this forum.
If you haven't already looked, know that there is cold weather flying conversations archived in our old posts.
Welcome.

WELCOME WELCOME WELCOME!! happy flyin and keep her straight and true. cant wait to see some Alaska footage, what a beautiful state!!!!

Welcome, I also started with a Syma. You are certainly in a prime area for drone flying.
Stay warm.

Welcome! I started out with a Syma also, what are you flying now? XSP or Evo?

The Evo. So far so good, it lasts longer than my fingers in the cold. Can't find my touch screen gloves. Flew 3 times yesterday, sunrise, high sun and sunset. 14 degrees and 20 degrees. Doesn't seem to bother it. It is about 8 degrees now and will get colder before the sun comes up around 9:30-10 so I might not get any more practice till later in the day.
It does seem the collision avoidance it a bit hyperactive. It won't get within 30 feet of anything and instead of going around it just won't go at all. Not sure if this is normal. Maybe all the snow is an issue, lots of white. Even away from stuff it is slow (only in forward), and it isn't in the novice mode.
I took off and landed from a frost covered gray picnic table and the first two times it wouldn't land in auto, but the 3rd time it landed right where it took off from. Not much contrast there in the brighter part of the day. MAX_0033.JPG

Make sure to warm up batteries before you take off cold batteries lead to unfortunate mishaps.

The OA IS hyperactive, and very susceptible to light frankly it needs a lot of tweeking, I wish the app had a control for this

Make sure to warm up batteries before you take off cold batteries lead to unfortunate mishaps.

I go straight from the house to flying in the yard so battery is warm (previous pics are from the yard). I have been getting pretty good time on the battery. I am going out this morning at 5 degrees to see how it goes. Missed the sunrise due to phone battery being low, but the sun still isn't above the trees.

I go straight from the house to flying in the yard so battery is warm (previous pics are from the yard). I have been getting pretty good time on the battery. I am going out this morning at 5 degrees to see how it goes. Missed the sunrise due to phone battery being low, but the sun still isn't above the trees.
No need to wait on your phone to capture lovely pictures with an EVO

True, but I am still wanting to try out and play with all the features. Need the app for that.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy