Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Fun flight and question about VLOS

Good luck on this one, not going to happen
Fly a UAS over a person/people

There are a few that have been approved but like I said good luck. Lots of making sure all your T's are crossed and i's dotted when filling out the waiver :oops:

Page 271 and 272 of the FAA's clean signed Part 107 announcement: "The term “over” refers to the flight of the small unmanned aircraft directly over any part of a person. For example, a small UAS that hovers directly over a person’s head, shoulders, or extended arms or legs would be an operation over people. Similarly, if a person is lying down, for example at a beach, an operation over that person’s torso or toes would also constitute an operation over people. An operation during which a small UAS flies over any part of any person, regardless of the dwell time, if any, over the person, would be an operation over people. The remote pilot needs to take into account the small unmanned aircraft’s course, speed, and trajectory, including the possibility of a catastrophic failure, to determine if the small unmanned aircraft would go over or strike a person not directly involved in the flight operation (non-participant). In addition, the remote pilot must take steps using a safety risk-based approach to ensure that: (1) the small unmanned aircraft does not operate over non-participants who are not under a covered structure or in a stationary covered vehicle; (2) the small unmanned aircraft will pose no undue hazard to other aircraft, people, or property in the event of a loss of control of the aircraft for any reason (§ 107.19); and (3) the small UAS is not operated in a careless or reckless manner so as to endanger the life or property of another (§ 107.23). If the remote pilot cannot comply with these requirements, then the flight must not take place or the flight must be immediately and safely terminated."

Last edited:
The problem with your theory is you do not own the air space above your property. Its called the NAS for a reason. You still have to abide by the rules and regulations that the FAA has set out.
This may be true, however you don't own the airspace even when when you fly VLOS either.
The OP only asked for opinions, not what is legal.
In some cases the VOLS is outmoded, (IMHO) because in my situation if my drone falls from the sky the only damage besides is to a cow or some other critter. If it were to fly away to say downtown, well that would be bad, but would be equally as bad if it flies away and you were flying VLOS. ?
butch ?‍?

That last question reminded me of what I wanted to practice, so I said, "Let's see," and started towards the other side of the park. Flew over two (empty) baseball fields, and finally ended up over the last picnic pavilion. At that point it was about 300 feet in altitude, and a little over 2,000 feet away. Between looking at the sky and the screen, I'd lost visual sight of it.
"Can you see it?" I asked the boys, and one of them replied, "Yeah, I still see it. It's turning."
He was right, I was in the process of turning it around for the flight back. But as much as I squinted, I couldn't locate it. And that far away, I couldn't hear it either. Maybe if I'd followed it the entire way, without looking at the screen, I might've had a chance to pick up the tiny speck.*****

The kids eyes are probably better (acuity and focusing ability). Looking into blue sky is tough, your eyes don't know what distance to focus on. If there are clouds in the background your eyes will focus on that, and you will not see the speck that is your drone even, if looking right at it, or if there are object in the foreground they will focus on that and you will not see the speck. When trying to find your drone in the blue sky or with clouds in the background, it may help to look at an object on the ground that you think may be about the same distance away as your done, your eye will focus at that distance, then look where you think the drone should be. I learned this trying to spot traffic pointed out to me by ATC while flying my airplane. Sometimes it works. Give it a try next time.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckster58