Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

FPV goggles

bentnail

Reaction score
Is there a way to connect my XSP to FPV goggles?
I know nothing about FPV goggles but it looks like a fun way to fly.
The impression I have is you can't but maybe someone and figured out a work around.

Oops I guess I should have used the search first.

Thanks
Guy

Last edited:
I just tested out a FPV goggle solution: I just mated a 4.7" 1080p cell android phone (HTC One) to the end of a Quanum V2 goggle with Velcro and it works very well. The only real problem is finding a 3' USB cable of sufficient quality to reliably carry the signal, my shorter cable works fine and I've ordered some 3' HQ cables that should do the job. Haven't flown with this setup yet - last I checked it was -25F, but should warm up later this week. The 1080p is vastly superior to the 800x400 5" screen that comes with the goggles.

Jan 30 update: So, you might ask how would I enter inputs on the phone touch screen if the phone is mounted on the Quanum 2 goggles? Solution: Vr Box Bluetooth Remote Controller, which I ordered from Amazon for about ten bucks. This device has a mouse mode and gives me a mouse pointer on the screen which allows me all of the touch screen options. It works! The sponge surrounds were taken from a cheep pair of motorcycle goggles found on eBay. The view into the goggles pictured here does not do the view justice, with the goggles on you just see the screen in great detail and clarity.
Incidentally, these goggles allow me to comfortably wear my reading glasses.

Attachments

• IMG_20170123_084815[1].jpg
    IMG_20170123_084815[1].jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20170130_083902[1].jpg
    IMG_20170130_083902[1].jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20170130_083927[1].jpg
    IMG_20170130_083927[1].jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20170130_084012[1].jpg
    IMG_20170130_084012[1].jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 41
Last edited:
If you are using a Nvidia Shield you can hook up the goggles to the HDMI connector on the shield.
I've read about the shield and the positive results people have had with it but was wondering if there was a stand alone goggle option. Video Link Frequency on the X-Star Premium is 902 MHz~928 MHz at 720 res? Is the a decent pair of goggles that will receive that frequency?

Those goggles would have to have a receiver and that receiver would have to have an antenna which would be HUGE! For example, look at the size of 5.GHz circular polarized antenna compared to a 2.4GHz CP antenna, now a 900MHz would show a proportional increase in size to say around 4' in diameter. Also, you would need some way of programing the receiver to identify the broadcast SSID of the X-Star. But who knows, keep looking maybe someone has already whacked out a solution.

Those goggles would have to have a receiver and that receiver would have to have an antenna which would be HUGE! For example, look at the size of 5.GHz circular polarized antenna compared to a 2.4GHz CP antenna, now a 900MHz would show a proportional increase in size to say around 4' in diameter. Also, you would need some way of programing the receiver to identify the broadcast SSID of the X-Star. But who knows, keep looking maybe someone has already whacked out a solution.
Thanks for the reply. Sounds like a lot of tech hurdles overcome. I'm more of a photographer than a pilot and prefer a viewfinder over a screen. I may eventually go the Nvidia route if Autel doesn't come out with something.

Reactions: CtrlAltDel
Just curious. For those Apple folks out there... Has anyone tried using a Lightning to HDMI digital AV adapter to FPV goggles? Not sure if there would be a huge latency problem or not.
IMG_0999.JPG

I have one of those from Apple, but have not tried it, As I don't have FPV goggles....yet.
Waiting for my Walkera F210 to come in and will be in the hunt for FPV

I know that the Nvidia shield k1 hdmi out is 1080p resolution. What fpv goggles will accept this? Also, after spending what I did for the quad and tablet, I ma looking for the least expensive solution. Thanks.

johnf

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy