Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

FPV DJI

I bought a FPV DJI for kicks and grins. Wasn't sure if I was even going to like it. But to be honest, it's so much fun that I haven't flown my EVO 2 in a couple of months. Anyone else have one of these?
i bought my dji fpv in november during a sale that i couldn't miss but twas winter so i didn't start flying until just a few months ago. haven't flown the evo 2 since (but still flying the skydio). dji fpv is so much fun but im still in normal/sport mode, haven't yet switched to manual mode. the experience thru the goggles is surreal and the 60+ mph instant speed is only eclipsed by the awesome sound from the motors. it's gonna take time to get good so i'll also keep practicing on the simulator.

ive taken the nano up a couple of times and after flying fpv, you have a new appreciation for distance and maneuverability. turns out i am flying way too cautious with the camera drone...it will actually go a lot of far away places now that i see what a drone can really do that has "reach." doesn't take much time for the dji fpv to go far away places and with your head down strictly in the goggles (with a spotter of course), you quickly find out you gotta trust what you see and just let it rip. not going to abandon the gps drone but i gotta say, im glad i didn't miss out on the fpv experience even if it's just a beginner for me. glad you are having fun as well.

i bought my dji fpv in november during a sale that i couldn't miss but twas winter so i didn't start flying until just a few months ago. haven't flown the evo 2 since (but still flying the skydio). dji fpv is so much fun but im still in normal/sport mode, haven't yet switched to manual mode. the experience thru the goggles is surreal and the 60+ mph instant speed is only eclipsed by the awesome sound from the motors. it's gonna take time to get good so i'll also keep practicing on the simulator.
I haven't had much luck with the simulator as it keeps freezing up. Actually, I think it's the goggles that are freezing up, but either way, it's not working well for me. So I just jumped in and started flying it.

I live in a very wooded area, so unless I go up higher, I get a lot of practice flying around and in between trees. I'm eons away from being proficient, but I feeling pretty good about flying it none-the-less.

Took it out the other day and flew up to a couple hundred feet, and then back over our RV park. It's a blast to make a banked turn and then level it out. I haven't flown a plane before, but I bet it's about the same feeling.

i would say try to get the simulator working for you, it really helps with building the confidence when you fly down low, in and around obstacles at faster speeds. give it 6 month and you'll be comfortable in sport mode but i agree, manual is going to take some time.

Reactions: Waldo Pepper
I had serious issues in the DJI simulator with motion sickness🤢. When I actually flew it no issues. Anyone tried using the DJI goggles with the v2 smart controller?

I had serious issues in the DJI simulator with motion sickness🤢. When I actually flew it no issues. Anyone tried using the DJI goggles with the v2 smart controller?
Is this even possible? I would love to fly my Autel pro utilizing the FPV googles. I like the FPV experience so much that I haven't flown the Evo pro since I got the DJI.

I bought a FPV DJI for kicks and grins. Wasn't sure if I was even going to like it. But to be honest, it's so much fun that I haven't flown my EVO 2 in a couple of months. Anyone else have one of these?
FPV DJI will probably be my next flying contraption, Glad to hear you are enjoying yours so much, looks likep fun.

Was seriously looking at the Mini 3 Pro, Pre-ordered twice and canceled twice, no regrets there. The FPV DJI appears to fit my type of flying, always wanted to try FPV this new DJI model is it. Fly both RC planes and drones, I feel FPV is in-between the two.

Appreciate you sharing your first FPV experience, can't wait to maiden my first FPV adventure.

Paul

Wait and see what the avata has to offer.
I have the dji fpv and love it for a bit of fun flying. The avata may be better
Thank you! I'll do that and wait, hopefully Avata has the FPV headset as a combo setup that would be great.

Looking so forward to experiencing FPV drone flying, another area I'd like to venture into is FPV RC plane flying, already have the RC planes just need to get the minor needed equipment to install into a cockpit. I'd like to install it into an big P-38 Lightning, or a few other Warbirds I fly.

I've seen videos of RC flier's mounting a camera to fly FPV, it's so realistic. Some even Mount the camera into the airplane pilots head able to manuver side to side. So realistic, right down to the goggles. Take off and land an RC plane using FPV, that would be fun.

Thanks for mentioning the Avata, looks great so far!
Paul

unless there is some sort of major promo or breakthru with avata, i think i'm going to wait until next year. in the meantime, i'm still learning on dji fpv (original) and i haven't yet mastered manual mode so i have a ways to go. not easy to fly around here in the winter so it doesn't make sense to step up to the next level in september. i anticipate the dji avata prices will drop substantially (just like dji fpv) so i'll try to take advantage next spring/summer. i kick myself because i should have entered the fpv arena much earlier and i would be ready now and i wouldnt own all these other gps drones that i rarely fly now. oh well, lessons learned.

Avata info drops today.
If you already have the FPV prob no major reason to grab the avata (although I usually can’t help myself). But if considering one or the other, perhaps the avata will be better. I guess this time tomorrow we will know more

I don't see a controller in any of the Avata kits, I see the handheld is a neat way of controlling the Avata, I'd like to get a controller in the mix when if it's possible.

As a first time FPV flying, that's how I'd like to start with controller and handheld.

Reactions: kenautelevo2pro
I don't see a controller in any of the Avata kits, I see the handheld is a neat way of controlling the Avata, I'd like to get a controller in the mix when if it's possible.

As a first time FPV flying, that's how I'd like to start with controller and handheld.
agreed; i think it is a mistake not to at least have one package with the rc. i've tried using the handheld and i still dont get it; maybe mine is not precisely calibrated. new flyers coming from a gps drone will want to start with the rc.

In my case this issue turned out not to be an issue. Seattle WA sales tax is over 10% but because i bought my Avata package from B&H the ensemble is tax free and free shipping. The cost savings effectively paid for the traditional style controller in full

In my case this issue turned out not to be an issue. Seattle WA sales tax is over 10% but because i bought my Avata package from B&H the ensemble is tax free and free shipping. The cost savings effectively paid for the traditional style controller in full
You certainly paid for the controller from tax savings, with your transaction all will work out from tax savings.

Quite honestly, Do want new DJI FPV hand controller as it appears to be more advanced than my FT Avatar for my Mavic 2 Pro. The FT Avatar was my first experience with using a hand controller to control flight, Actually takes both hands one to hold other hand to control.

FT Avatar has it's pros and cons, overall once getting comfortable after learning curve it's a neat way of flying. Ended up mounting to lawn chair or carrying case, to fly one hand control which was neat.

Already made up my mind, will definitely get the Avata in near future. Hopefully, by then traditional controller will be available in Avata kit form with hand controller as I would prefer getting both from start.

Enjoy the Avata, definitely a neat safe direction to go especially for beginners.

Paul

IMG_20220830_101727~2.jpg

FPV DJI will probably be my next flying contraption, Glad to hear you are enjoying yours so much, looks likep fun.

Was seriously looking at the Mini 3 Pro, Pre-ordered twice and canceled twice, no regrets there. The FPV DJI appears to fit my type of flying, always wanted to try FPV this new DJI model is it. Fly both RC planes and drones, I feel FPV is in-between the two.

Appreciate you sharing your first FPV experience, can't wait to maiden my first FPV adventure.

Paul
Yep, it's a blast. I wasn't all warm-n-fuzy with the motion controller but figured I better give it a chance before writing it off. Shot this video using it yesterday. It's fun, but I think the standard controller wilt allow me to do much more. But at my stage of development, it's fun and adaquate.

Yep, it's a blast. I wasn't awith the motion controller but figured I better give it a chance
ore writing it off. Shot this video using it yesterday. It's fun, but I think the standard controller wilt allow me to do much more. But at my stage of development, it's fun and adeq

Very nice, excellent flying in beautiful terrain with using motion controller.

In time, I'll probably order the Avata with motion controller setup only and if possible get the standard controller. Was hesatating because of the montion controller, now Im seeing (from other users) the montion controller as a great way of flying.

Whats stopping me are two reasons, both due to eye vision. If anyone can chime in, appreciate your input especially from FPV users.

First, Only have vision in one eye. Can I still get full view of screen using FPV googles? It's the left eye I can't see from, that was due to an accidental many years ago due to optical nerve damage. I'm thinking due to my limited vision condition, If possible connect an analog screen (Triplet 8) to the new Avata headset and fly with using the Triplet 8 screen instead?

Is this possible? Fly the Avata with Triplet 8 Pro tablet connected to headset? Naturally, I would use a tripod to mount headset and Tablet flying with montion controller or standard controller wireless.

Appreciate the information, that's what is holding me back from ordering the Avata, poor vision may not go well with using the FPV headset.

Paul

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials