Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Follow Me Mode

TheAviator

Reaction score
I'm having trouble finding resources on how the "follow" mode works. I'm trying to take videos of cyclists in action. Other drones allow you to lock onto a subject in the field of view and then it tracks that subject but I've had no luck with that. Does the X-star premium require that you have the remote in order to follow you? If that's the case, I'm extremely disappointed. They can't possibly expect us to shove the remote in our pocket while riding a bike or doing other action sports.

Autel Robotics tutorial: Follow autelrobotics YouTube videos with Natalie

Autel Robotics tutorial: Follow autelrobotics YouTube videos with Natalie

Thanks. I just watched. What a huge disappointment. The whole point of a follow mode is to get videos of action sports. With a 22mph max and the fact that you have to have the remote with you renders this thing useless for any type of true follow.

Thanks. I just watched. What a huge disappointment. The whole point of a follow mode is to get videos of action sports. With a 22mph max and the fact that you have to have the remote with you renders this thing useless for any type of true follow.

Top speed is 33mph and I'm not sure that Autel ever claimed the X-Star could do Follow Me without the controller. All the videos I watched before purchasing showed the aircraft following the controller.

Reactions: cokeaddict
One of those videos that Autel recently posted during CES 2017 showed a new mode that works just like the Phantoms do where you draw a box on an object on the screen and then the bird follows it.

I'm not sure if it was demonstrating a new feature of the soon to be released firmware upgrade or if it was a feature of that prototype bird that they were demonstrating.

Cheers,

Dan K.

Reactions: Mr $panky
My follow me mode works, but it only seems to follow me from behind. Is there a way to get it to follow you from the side? Like if I'm in a boat.

I called Autel and they told me it would work, as long as it's at least 10 meters away, but I can't figure it out so far.

My follow me mode works, but it only seems to follow me from behind. Is there a way to get it to follow you from the side? Like if I'm in a boat.

I called Autel and they told me it would work, as long as it's at least 10 meters away, but I can't figure it out so far.

You can use the controller sticks to move the craft around, check out Follow Me section in the user manual.

Maybe it's just me but anytime I'm spending over $500 for anything I do the research to find the product that fits what I'm looking for. That way there's no surprises :rolleyes:

Reactions: cokeaddict
One of those videos that Autel recently posted during CES 2017 showed a new mode that works just like the Phantoms do where you draw a box on an object on the screen and then the bird follows it.

I'm not sure if it was demonstrating a new feature of the soon to be released firmware upgrade or if it was a feature of that prototype bird that they were demonstrating.

Cheers,

Dan K.
Man O' Man I hope that is a firmware update! I've looked at the ability to do this with drones in general. It'd be a GREAT feature!!!!!
Greg

Man O' Man I hope that is a firmware update! I've looked at the ability to do this with drones in general. It'd be a GREAT feature!!!!!
Greg
DJI aircraft use a technology to track subjects by tapping on them on screen or the subject can start it by hand gestures. It is not perfect but it is pretty decent. If you move to quickly it can lose sight of you. You can find youtube videos showing it in action. Yuneec uses a sort of "tiny" remote called a Wizard to accomplish a solid tracking without a large TX. It is more like a Nintendo Wii controller.

Is it even possible with the X star to have follow me mode like the dji phantom 4 does, like just tapping on the subject you want to follow on your screen? If it does have that capability that's great news, I kind of assumed this is how the follow me mode on our current X star will work. I know it doesn't currently do it but does anyone know if its possible with just a firmware update and not having to purchase the new X star whenever it's released?

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ranga