Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Flying without the camera.

spencer451

Reaction score
Besides not having a view when flying without the camera attached, what would be other disadvantages? Reason I'm asking is I'm just learning and would prefer if I make a mistake I don't damage it.

Besides not having a view when flying without the camera attached, what would be other disadvantages? Reason I'm asking is I'm just learning and would prefer if I make a mistake I don't damage it.
I've asked the same question to Autel's support and the answer was: it is possible but not recommended, because you will lost the video link if gimbal is disconnected from the aircraft.
Regards

Reactions: Flying skymaster
I can't properly answer your question, because I don't know for sure if the camera is used by the flight computer, but if I were to guess I would say that it is not. I'd say that there wouldn't - from the drone's perspective - be any disadvantages. Originally I thought that I would be doing the same thing, but so far I've not removed the camera. This is my first drone with a live video feed, and while I'm confident flying it, the camera feed adds a new perspective. For me, it feels like there is more to learn camera-wise than there is to learn flight-wise. Good luck!

I have a Xiro Xplorer which also has a removable camera. They advise flying without the camera for the first flights.

The balance is different without the camera, but I doubt that it would cause any problems to fly without it. On the other hand, the X-Star is very easy to fly so you are very unlikely to crash if you learn to fly on open areas and are conservative with the controls. The only real advantage IMO would be longer flight times. I suspect that 25 minute flight time may be w/o the camera.

Unlike the Xiro Xplorer, the gimbal/camera appears to be pretty durable. There are many X-Star crashes on YouTube that resulted in no damage.

Reactions: Tommy Molnar
Thanks for the replies. I'm not an expert but removing the camera shouldn't affect any of the navigation functions like positioning or return home? I just don't want to do something stupid while learning and have to replace a camera.

Wow Tom, I hope this guy considers removing that vid from youtube. It's that kind of ill-conceived piloting and planning that will have all of us banned from landmark filming.

I was beside my self knowing what was going to happen when he said he already met the max altitude and said he panicked and hit RTH, of course my thought was, RTH won't take you higher and we don't have obstacle avoidance, sure enough...

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy