Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Flying over neighborhoods

SnagsWolf

Reaction score
The FAA rules say don't fly over groups of people, public events, or stadiums full of people. And I've seen tons of videos of people flying their drones over houses. So, something like this is Kosher, right?

BridgevilleNeighborhood.JPG

Page 271 of the Preamble to Part 107 : "the term "over" refers to the flight of the small unmanned aircraft directly over any part of a person. For example, a small UAS that hovers directly over a person's head, shoulders, or extended arms or legs would be an operation over people. Similarly, if a person is lying down, for example at a beach, an operation over that person's torso or toes would also constitute an operation over people. An operation during which a small uAS flies over any part of a person, regardless of the dwell time, if any, over the person, would be an operation over people. The remote pilot needs to take into account the small unmanned aircraft's course, speed, and trajectory, including the possibility of a catastrophic failure, to determine if the small unmanned aircraft would go over or strike a person not directly involved in the flight operation (non-participant.) "

The rule that is referring to:

Section 107.39 Operation over human beings.
No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft over a human being unless that human being is:

(a) Directly participating in the operation of the small unmanned aircraft; or

(b) Located under a covered structure or inside a stationary vehicle that can provide reasonable protection from a falling small unmanned aircraft.

So does that mean this guy fly his drone legally in downtown Philly... People are covered under their cars and buildings...

I included the next line to make clear that it's not just whether you're over someone or next to them, the rules still require a risk assessment under 107.19 to ensure no undue risk to persons, etc. in the event of a loss of control. And the rules also prohibit careless or reckless operations that endanger persons or property. The FAA left these rules "flexible" so that pilots could make safety risk decisions based on the size, weight, speed, etc of their UAS and the location, population and other characteristics of the flight environment

So if the pilot made his or her risk assessment and was OK with it then yes the flight was just fine.

Reactions: mixchief
The reason I posted this is because there doesn't seem to be a clear-cut rule against it. And we've all seen videos of people flying over neighborhoods.

Augustine, one of the things that stood out in what you posted was the word 'trajectory'. That pretty much means that if there's anyone in the area of where I'm flying (or there could be someone there), there's the possibility that a catastrophic failure could happen, and the drone's trajectory could injure the person. If we do have to take that into account, that's going to severely limit where we can fly.

I took this video of my hometown with the purpose of posting it to the town's Facebook group. But then I got a little nervous about my legal standing if someone would complain about me flying over their house.

I'm friends with the police chief in town, so I may show it to him first to see if there's going to be a problem. There's also the possibility of re-shooting the flight using waypoints to keep the drone over wooded areas, while panning to get shots of the neighborhood.

The reason I posted this is because there doesn't seem to be a clear-cut rule against it. And we've all seen videos of people flying over neighborhoods.

Augustine, one of the things that stood out in what you posted was the word 'trajectory'. That pretty much means that if there's anyone in the area of where I'm flying (or there could be someone there), there's the possibility that a catastrophic failure could happen, and the drone's trajectory could injure the person. If we do have to take that into account, that's going to severely limit where we can fly.

I took this video of my hometown with the purpose of posting it to the town's Facebook group. But then I got a little nervous about my legal standing if someone would complain about me flying over their house.

I'm friends with the police chief in town, so I may show it to him first to see if there's going to be a problem. There's also the possibility of re-shooting the flight using waypoints to keep the drone over wooded areas, while panning to get shots of the neighborhood.
I don't thinl 5-0 will know the rules, unlesd he's a pilot too. You can fly in your neighborhood, as long as it's high enough not to bother neighbors and don't fly over people or moving cars.

When I do fly over neighborhoods, I do so at 200’+. I’ve broken that rule accidentally, flying up steep hills in AZ. Rules in Scottsdale & Carefree require houses to blend-in with the environment (house colors/exterior designs require approval). They can be really hard to see when your flying a mile out, up a mountaintop—until you’re practically over the rooftop at 50’!

If you live in a neighborhood like that it should be completely fine to fly. The problem is what your neighbors will think and say if you keep flying over their property. Most people do not care since they have nothing to hide and\or they know you. In the picture you are not over anything but a public road. As long you do not live in a NFZ, just follow the rules when it to comes altitude and VLOS.

What saddens me is that none of your neighbors know what cool pool can do for you in a hot summer day.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigmaxsg