Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Flight home with obstacle

Jockel2000

Reaction score
I have the following question , how reagiuer the EvoNanoplus in the following situation :
The drone is about 500 meters away. I initiate the return flight (home button) Now there is exactly between me and the drone eg a tree.
The drone flies in my direction and detects the tree.
What does it do ? Does it stop in front of the tree in the air and waits for new signals from me or would it avoid the tree and then continue the return flight.

Has anyone ever had such a situation ?

This is just to give an example, sure , I could set the drone to first climb to an altitude of 100 meters still above and then fly to me. But I would be interested in what happens on the return flight with an obstacle

Thanks

I have the following question , how reagiuer the EvoNanoplus in the following situation :
The drone is about 500 meters away. I initiate the return flight (home button) Now there is exactly between me and the drone eg a tree.
The drone flies in my direction and detects the tree.
What does it do ? Does it stop in front of the tree in the air and waits for new signals from me or would it avoid the tree and then continue the return flight.

Has anyone ever had such a situation ?

This is just to give an example, sure , I could set the drone to first climb to an altitude of 100 meters still above and then fly to me. But I would be interested in what happens on the return flight with an obstacle

Thanks

I believe it would increase altitude to attempt to fly over the obstacle, but I am not certain. I have seen mixed reports depending on drone model/maker and depending on what is supposed to happen vs what actually happens. I have seen some say it will increase to your RTH preset altitude but no higher, some have said it will just stop and hover, some have said it will increase the altitude all the way up to the maximum altitude for the drone if needed, some hav said it will attempt to navigate around the obstacle, etc.

Personally, in my 10+ yrs of flying various things, I have never had this problem. I have my RTH altitude set to 400' unless I am in a restricted flight area with a lower ceiling, I watch my signal carefully and do everything I can to minimize the chances of signal loss, and when filming tall buildings I never let the building get fully between myself and the drone. If you treat flying a drone with every bit of attention as you treat driving a car your drone will reward you with many years of reliable service (bad FW aside). The problem is most people consider drones little more than toys and treat them with the same lack of respect.

Despite all of my care and planning of course I have experienced signal loss just like everyone else, but with my RTH altitude set so high I quickly regain control due to the increase in altitude before it ever even attempts to head back to the home point. Typically somewhere around the 200ft AGL mark I will regain control. To me, by the time you are depending on OA to keep you out of trouble you are already in trouble. There are many things OA cannot detect such as power lines and tree branches, so to me it is far safer for the drone to fly straight up vs trying to return home at a lower altitude.

I think my RTH altitude is 90 metres and that was the default.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckster58