Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Exposure Level Indicator?

RJ_Make

Reaction score
I can't seem to find any Exposure Level Indicator display?

Thanks, but I don't see any feedback to know when I'm at the correct exposure.

Example of a traditional indicator:

session-1-introduction-basic-photography-44-638.jpg

I know the common thought is the histogram is better, and to just ditch the meter. However I've learned, while they are complimentary to each other, they have very specific differences. I think this is why good camera's typically have both.

Perhaps you're fixating too much on a graphic that you're used to and not the actual numbers on the XSP that Uavdude directed you to. The scale goes from -3.0 to 0 to +3.0 with steps of 0.3 & 0.7. Can be changed in the app or by the wheel. Same thing, no graphic.

Perhaps, and maybe I'm missing how to use that as an indicator of where my exposure is, not how to change it???

I know how to change it, that has never been the problem.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

I see what you're looking for then, but pardon my continued confusion as changing the exposure compensation does change the shutter speed as I've exampled in this quick vid, so I'm not sure why you're not seeing the effective changes to exposure value while I am. Am I on the same page now? "Correct exposure" is judged by your eye over what the cam sensors are placing, so when you feel the need to adjust, it is because your eyes say so and I still don't know what other feedback besides your eyes you want the cam to give you that it doesn't. Sure hope by your "good" camera comment that you weren't expecting some type of DSLR on our bird with 'priorities' on how the compensation is placed, would be great, but at the price point, can't expect. We have a decent point&shoot, but with video and a bit extra on board. How can they sell us that cam upgrade that you know we're all going to buy when they break out the big modular upgrade guns if they already gave it to us in the beginning :).

In general talk, a 1.0 move on EV is equivalent to a full stop.

I see what you're looking for then, but pardon my continued confusion as changing the exposure compensation does change the shutter speed as I've exampled in this quick vid, so I'm not sure why you're not seeing the effective changes to exposure value while I am. Am I on the same page now? "Correct exposure" is judged by your eye over what the cam sensors are placing, so when you feel the need to adjust, it is because your eyes say so and I still don't know what other feedback besides your eyes you want the cam to give you that it doesn't. Sure hope by your "good" camera comment that you weren't expecting some type of DSLR on our bird with 'priorities' on how the compensation is placed, would be great, but at the price point, can't expect. We have a decent point&shoot, but with video and a bit extra on board. How can they sell us that cam upgrade that you know we're all going to buy when they break out the big modular upgrade guns if they already gave it to us in the beginning :).

In general talk, a 1.0 move on EV is equivalent to a full stop.

Thanks for putting up that video, but No you are still not on my page.. :p IMO correct exposure is NOT judge by your eyes alone, if that were the case there would be no reason for histograms and meters on camera's. You should rely on your equipment. First for correct exposure and then fine tune with your eyes in post with a calibrated monitor/equipment. I'm not say you can't use your eyes, but like most photographers we use these tools to aid in getting the best exposure possible, it results in less work in post.

Well I don't know; dji understands the need, as it's incorporated in their app from the P3S up. So yes, no need for a dslr feature list, but when you are working with a platform that is centered around photography I would think it's expected that a simple exposure level meter is incorporated.

Are there any 4k camera's that don't have one??

I know the common thought is the histogram is better, and to just ditch the meter. However I've learned, while they are complimentary to each other, they have very specific differences. I think this is why good camera's typically have both.
I'm not following you either. What does a meter do that you're missing?

Thanks for putting up that video, but No you are still not on my page.. :p IMO correct exposure is NOT judge by your eyes alone, if that were the case there would be no reason for histograms and meters on camera's.

Really RJ, :p and NOT, maybe I was a bit brash with the use of "perhaps", but you reciprocated in kind and you didn't see me going all 2nd grader on you. Disturbing reading comprehension how you can see the following sentence, pull out a few words and insinuate I suggested eyes alone are the only judge. Try reading again, note that the underline parts refer to feedback like settings and histogram, the use of your eyes are simply a corrective aspect to the sensors and something the cam doesn't provide.

"Correct exposure" is judged by your eye over what the cam sensors are placing, so when you feel the need to adjust, it is because your eyes say so and I still don't know what other feedback besides your eyes you want the cam to give you that it doesn't.

Well I don't know; dji understands the need, as it's incorporated in their app from the P3S up. So yes, no need for a dslr feature list, but when you are working with a platform that is centered around photography I would think it's expected that a simple exposure level meter is incorporated.

Are there any 4k camera's that don't have one??

I watched a P4 camera video a couple months back during research and I don't see a thing there that the XSP doesn't have, what "simple exposure level meter" is incorporated. At around the 18:30 mark he goes to lower his shutter speed in the interest of motion and it raises the exposure from 0 to +2 and then talks about ND filters to compensate for the overexposure, is that what you're talking about? You expect that to happen on the XSP, so adjusting settings and not seeing the EV change on it's own is what's missing for you? If so, how does that "Thanks, but I don't see any feedback to know when I'm at the correct exposure." tell you you're at the "correct" exposure, over your eyes and histogram?
If not, I'm certainly done with trying to figure out wth your complaint is because you have not explained it. How about you show us in a video exactly what you want and expect to be there on one of the DJI's you speak of, if you can't find it on a DJI, how about any 4K cam that explains what you're missing.

Really RJ, :p and NOT, maybe I was a bit brash with the use of "perhaps", but you reciprocated in kind and you didn't see me going all 2nd grader on you. Disturbing reading comprehension how you can see the following sentence, pull out a few words and insinuate I suggested eyes alone are the only judge. Try reading again, note that the underline parts refer to feedback like settings and histogram, the use of your eyes are simply a corrective aspect to the sensors and something the cam doesn't provide.

"Correct exposure" is judged by your eye over what the cam sensors are placing, so when you feel the need to adjust, it is because your eyes say so and I still don't know what other feedback besides your eyes you want the cam to give you that it doesn't.

I watched a P4 camera video a couple months back during research and I don't see a thing there that the XSP doesn't have, what "simple exposure level meter" is incorporated. At around the 18:30 mark he goes to lower his shutter speed in the interest of motion and it raises the exposure from 0 to +2 and then talks about ND filters to compensate for the overexposure, is that what you're talking about? You expect that to happen on the XSP, so adjusting settings and not seeing the EV change on it's own is what's missing for you? If so, how does that "Thanks, but I don't see any feedback to know when I'm at the correct exposure." tell you you're at the "correct" exposure, over your eyes and histogram?
If not, I'm certainly done with trying to figure out wth your complaint is because you have not explained it. How about you show us in a video exactly what you want and expect to be there on one of the DJI's you speak of, if you can't find it on a DJI, how about any 4K cam that explains what you're missing.

Whoa, I meant absolutely no disrespect in my comments. My statement was supposed to be a playful answer to your question "Am I on the same page now?" hence the reason for the :p. I'm sorry it came across as derogatory, that certainly was not my intention. You are correct, I didn't read your comment carefully, and In the interested of peace, I will end our discussion.

Thank you for trying to help understand what I'm looking for.

I'll try and put up a couple of pictures from the go app, and hopefully a better explanation of what I'm looking for later today.

Ok, so hopefully this will explain what I'm looking for a little better. (I've put the video's on my Onedrive)

In the first video, you can see the Dji app has an active meter under the shutter speed selection.

In the second video, you can see the Autel app has no meter, and the EV is not active. I may have also found a bug I didn't notice before. Toward the end of the video, you can see me changing the ISO/Shutter selection, however pushing the right RC wheel button does not visually change the ISO/Shutter selection until the wheel is moved.

Dji
https://1drv.ms/v/s!Au3gzKAQDK0wgZQvfM7MiEln-86zBw

Autel
https://1drv.ms/v/s!Au3gzKAQDK0wgZQuGSxlEH1w4Edbpw

Whoa, I meant absolutely no disrespect in my comments. My statement was supposed to be a playful answer to your question "Am I on the same page now?" hence the reason for the :p. I'm sorry it came across as derogatory, that certainly was not my intention. You are correct, I didn't read your comment carefully, and In the interested of peace, I will end our discussion.

Thank you for trying to help understand what I'm looking for.

Understood, my bad, I have been sensitive on forums lately. In fairness to human history, peace was never made by one party abruptly choosing to end the conversation. Thank you for filling us in on what we may have been missing, at least I finally nailed exactly what you were looking for in my previous post. May I suggest you update the OP with your video links so other Autel owners or decision makers know what they could be missing without scrolling through the drama.

Can you please explain (if interested) in what that simple light meter ("active EV") does for your shot planning vs. say the histogram, and how you utilize it to make exposure decisions? Thanks.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials