Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Explorer app update and loss of VR video

gasquetmike

Reaction score
I noticed the last 3 flights that i took using VR goggles that my elevation wasn't showing on my heads up display. I called Autel and asked Derik if by uninstalling and then reinstalling the phone app on my samsung S7 if it might fix the elevation issue. He thought it was a good place to start. He warned me that the newest "drone" update was having issues with not showing VR video so I said i wouldn't do the "drone" update , only the phone app. I came home and saw that the explorer app actually had an update available so i did that. As it was loading i thought to myself, ahhh crap...i hope that wasn't part of the "no VR video"issue. Well...it was...now i have no video when i hit the VR mode in the app. I told Autel before i bought my EVO that I fly 99% of the time using VR goggles and if that wasn't available id have to shop elsewhere. they assured me that the EVO was VR capable and the video quality through the goggle was excellent! Well it was till today.....now what do i do? i sure hope they fix this FAST!

Autel never was one to let us uninstall an update, and go back. Guess you're going to have to fly without the goggles. Look at the bright side... at least now you'll be flying legal.

It's not just Autel. Very few companies allow firmware downgrades.

Last edited:
I think the problem is that it's a "phone" explorer app. Maybe a tablet would be different, or, if he had the explorer app downloaded on a PC, and was able to install it on the phone from the PC. But, unless someone is a IT whiz on instructions on how to undo that update on the phone...I dunno. It's my experience that it's kinda hard to reverse a phone app update. Unless he can find the old apk file. Doesn't a update from Google play store over write all the old stuff? Admittedly, I'm no expert on this stuff.

The app is easy to uninstall and go to an older version. Doesn't matter if it's a phone or tablet. The app will be the same on either or. His problem is he updated the firmware which is not reversible so he'll have to wait for the next update to fix it.

The app is easy to uninstall and go to an older version. Doesn't matter if it's a phone or tablet. The app will be the same on either or. His problem is he updated the firmware which is not reversible so he'll have to wait for the next update to fix it.
Hmm. Well, I'll need to explore that option myself. I've had several times an app update ruined my experience. I'd love to return to the older version. Never knew how to do that.

You just uninstall it and install an older version.
What I sometimes do is keep all the apk's in a folder as they come out. I did that with Starlink. I don't see any older versions of Exlorer out there but maybe someone in the forum has kept the older apk's and can give you a copy.

Last edited:
I wonder though with the current firmware release installed whether there is going to be a conflict with an earlier version of Explorer. Might produce some unexpected conflicts. IDK. But if you have not upgraded to the latest FW release that won't be an issue since you should still have a 'match'.

My new goggles are still in the box waiting on the fix. I have the telemetry overlay but no video throughput.

There won't be any conflicts. You just might not have all the options in the software is all.

I keep rereading @gasquetmike's post and he doesn't talk about firmware update, just app update.
He says DRONE update and PHONE update. I'm assuming DRONE update is firmware and phone is software. That's how I understood it all and what it looks like to me.

He says DRONE update and PHONE update. I'm assuming DRONE update is firmware and phone is software. That's how I understood it all and what it looks like to me.
It's a confusing post.

From what I understood autel told him not to do drone update. He did app update and got screwed.

Re-reading it, I think you're right. But, Autel said the drone/firmware update would cause the issue so i'm not sure why the app update did it. If he can find an older version of the app it should fix it then. I couldn't find an older version but as I said in a previous post if someone has saved an older version maybe they could share it with him.
Also if they said the firmware would cause it, I would definately not update that at this point till he knows it's fixed in a new update.

Reactions: Ansia
You just uninstall it and install an older version.
What I sometimes do is keep all the apk's in a folder as they come out. I did that with Starlink. I don't see any older versions of Exlorer out there but maybe someone in the forum has kept the older apk's and can give you a copy.
I'm still on the fence about purchasing an Evo, so, don't need it. But, thanks for the consideration. My XSP does everything I need. The reduced form factor of the Evo is really all I'd be considering, at this point. Maybe if someone was interested in my second XSP package...that might pursuade me to do an impulse purchase. Motorcycle season is about over here. That would be my only reason for consideration of the Evo, at this point.

Reactions: Tufargon
Just saw where i have some replys to my post...1st...flying with VR goggles is NOT illegal..2nd...it was the phone explorer app that i updated...not the evo update...and 3rd...thank god...i had downloaded the old explorer app on another old phone so i can use that to fly VR untill they fix the problem...

Reactions: Tufargon
Just saw where i have some replys to my post...1st...flying with VR goggles is NOT illegal..2nd...it was the phone explorer app that i updated...not the evo update...and 3rd...thank god...i had downloaded the old explorer app on another old phone so i can use that to fly VR untill they fix the problem...

My bad...I was assuming that you weren't always flying with a visual observer, and not beyond the capabilities of either of you to still be able to see the drone with nothing more than corrective lenses, at all times.

Glad you were able to get back to the old software, for the explorer app. Losing functionality, due to an update, is infuriating...most of us here can relate. Especially those of us who flew the old XSP platform.

Welcome to the Autel growing pains experience. Cross your fingers that your Evo platform doesn't get abandoned, out of the clear blue, in the not too distant future.

Last edited:
Reactions: gasquetmike

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigmaxsg