Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Evo Max 4T review

Solidhouse

Reaction score
I received the Evo Max 4T last week and have flown it several times. I’ll compare it to my Mavic 3 Thermal.

First, the thermal cameras are about the same. The thermal camera on the Mavic 3T may have a slight bit more detail. Although it may be due to the Autel smart controller V3 having a much larger screen compared to the DJI RC Pro enterprise controller. Perhaps a little bit of detail is lost with the larger screen size.

Second, for the flight time, it seems to be about the same between the Evo Max 4T and the Mavic 3T. I get about 27 minutes while landing it at 15% battery. The battery life may get better after I have a few more charge cycles on it.

Third, I am able to turn the altitude limit off on the Evo Max 4T and fly it up to about 810m. It would definitely go higher. How much higher, I do not know. The Mavic 3T is limited to 500m.

Fourth, the signal strength on the Evo Max 4T is much stronger and more robust. I did a test going out to 2.5 miles with both drones. The Evo max 4T is able to keep full bar signal strength at 119m altitude while the Mavic 3T needs to be at 260m. I’m definitely able to fly the Evo Max 4T much farther at a lower altitude.

Fourth, the zoom function is much better on the Evo Max 4T. The wide and zoom cameras on the Evo Max 4T seems to be much better compared to the Mavic 3T. The picture on the Evo Max 4T seems to have more detail and the video is crisp.

In summary, the Evo Max 4T beats the Mavic 3T in almost every category. I’m happy with my purchase and would definitely purchase it again.

Thank you for your review. Not many people will have access to a thermal drone, much less two!

Specifically on the set up you used. Do you know the price of each set up that you specifically used?

Thanks.

The Mavic 3 thermal cost $5400 and the Evo Max 4T was $7800 (pre-order special price)

Reactions: Liver
Thanks. Percentage, that’s a significant difference in price. That’s 45% more.

Thanks for the review.

Last edited:
Current Evo Max 4T software is still very much an "alpha/beta" quality I would say. Some functions don't work or are buggy. Advertised battery hot-swapping does not work (or does not exist?). Software quality has been an issue also before with Evo II series - hopefully upcoming firmware versions are getting better.

Current Evo Max 4T software is still very much an "alpha/beta" quality I would say. Some functions don't work or are buggy. Advertised battery hot-swapping does not work (or does not exist?). Software quality has been an issue also before with Evo II series - hopefully upcoming firmware versions are getting better.
Hopefully, these will be some things that are fixed with firmware updates.
Autel claims that a 4G dongle is coming which will allow 4G control. I asked Autel if this will be available in the US. Their response was that they will enable it in all supported regions.

Here's a hidden maybe-common-sense cache that can be useful. Tripod works only when you take off. Evidently the aircraft thinks it's in flight when the propellers are spinning. So if you take the propellers off!!!!!!, power on the Transmitter and Aircraft, start the motors spinning, you will be able to engage Tripod and AI_Recog for objects without having to actually take-off in airspace (Take off the propellers first).

We should ask Autel where is the offline map functionality with Max 4T. When competing with M3T and M30T offline map is actually important.

Reactions: Techneek
We should ask Autel where is the offline map functionality with Max 4T. When competing with M3T and M30T offline map is actually important.
..with so many items missing that were promised that will make the drone 100% complete.. maybe it is easier to tally up those items and just monitor by percentage. 50%, 70%, 88%, 91%, 98%, 100% towards completion, etc.

Reactions: Ezone23
..with so many items missing that were promised that will make the drone 100% complete.. maybe it is easier to tally up those items and just monitor by percentage. 50%, 70%, 88%, 91%, 98%, 100% towards completion, etc.
Huh? @Florida Drone Supply makes the bold statement that the Max is great now, and compares it to the M30.

What straight-line-from-the-transmitter distances are people getting out of the max?

Here's a hidden maybe-common-sense cache that can be useful. Tripod works only when you take off. Evidently the aircraft thinks it's in flight when the propellers are spinning. So if you take the propellers off!!!!!!, power on the Transmitter and Aircraft, start the motors spinning, you will be able to engage Tripod and AI_Recog for objects without having to actually take-off in airspace (Take off the propellers first).
I don’t understand the reference to Tripod.

Tripod (Autonomy menu item) will move the camera to where the subject moved

Yeah, I'm in the skeptic camp at this point. I needed to have the mapping capability for the Agricultural angle of my business...taking a series of pictures and hoping to stick them together in order is a little more rudimentary and time consuming that what I saw in the ads. Also, No RAW and only 12MP at this point that I can see.

Since they NEVER have finished (as of 7/12/2023) the software for the Evo II v3 release (1.25 years), I would not be too optimistic re: when this will improve. They consistently release hardware and the software is not ready. Then they release something else, focus on that, and the current products are ignored/never finished. Apparently, a road map that provides direction for the developers and the products they support, does not exist

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials