Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

EVO ll Issues Thread

I am at a disadvantage having never seen a drone, so I worry. I do not own a mobile device and intend to hack flying alone in Covid isolation. I pre-ordered EVO PRO for no geo fencing, avoidance sensors, and 1" camera. I am in a dangerous environment with tall forest trees. So I worry. How fickle is GPS?
GPS is not flickle at all if you are flying in an open area. If you fly surrounded by trees, then you will have trouble with GPS.

Then I must adapt, avoid RTH and be prepared for ATTI. Is it possible to turn GPS off?

Then I must adapt, avoid RTH and be prepared for ATTI. Is it possible to turn GPS off?
No. Flying in ATTI is harder than you might believe. Specially if you have never flown a drone. I suggest you buy a cheap drone and learn to fly that.

No. Flying in ATTI is harder than you might believe. Specially if you have never flown a drone. I suggest you buy a cheap drone and learn to fly that.
Thanks. Sounds like sound advice. Any suggestions?

So if this is not a wind up..... You've never seen a Drone....?? however you have bought the top of the range, most expensive for it's type drone... yeaaaa. please keep recording everything you do on first flight, I'm certain a lot of us would like to see it... all I can say is good luck and ask here for some helpful tips, but starting off with How Fickle is GPS and you have never seen a Drone is a big worry... good luck though..

Cheers

Let me start with one "none issue" that is a bit of an annoyance. So far at three different take off locations and for all my 8 flights so far, I get a GPS warning to pay attention when returning home as location may not be accurate. This is a bit anxiety producing on a new and expensive drone, but each time I did have the green "Safe to Fly" banner on my phone. Each time the EVO II returned accurately to home. When I spoke to Support I was told it just means the number of satellites locked onto is not the desired maximum, and if the Safe to Fly banner was present, not to worry. Well my other drones either give me satellite lock achieved or not achieved notices and have never had a problem at these locations. So, if it is Safe to Fly, why notify me? As I said so far the RTH landings are accurate. How many satellite locks are really needed? It is kind of unnerving, I will try other locations to see if I can achieve reception good enough to not trigger the GPS warning but so far it is three for three different locations. It makes me feel the GPS reception is not so good which is unlikely. Maybe it can be tweaked to more accurately reflect when RTH accuracy will actually be impaired, as I said no problems in that respect. This is my first Autel product so it makes sense there will be different design philosophy's.
Actually not a new issue, the EVO did that to me a couple of times, I generally don't use RTH so don't know how accurate that was in those instances, but the flight was always fine and in control.

So if this is not a wind up..... You've never seen a Drone....?? however you have bought the top of the range, most expensive for it's type drone... yeaaaa. please keep recording everything you do on first flight, I'm certain a lot of us would like to see it... all I can say is good luck and ask here for some helpful tips, but starting off with How Fickle is GPS and you have never seen a Drone is a big worry... good luck though..

Cheers

Thanks, I will be extremely careful, very small baby steps, and the camera will be on at 1080p the whole time. I would like to practice ATTI with a disposable cheap drone, no GPS. I will not fly my camera without solid GPS. I am a photo journalist. I have wanted to fly a drone camera for a long time. Covid isolation has given me the time to pursue that dream.

There is a battle in Seattle...

Thanks. Sounds like sound advice. Any suggestions?
Any toy drone will meet the requirements to learn ATTI mode, but here is one:

Reactions: sunflower

Cheers

Your logic is the opposite of what you would want someone to do.

I am not suggesting everyone run and buy the most expensive drone that they can, however, the more you spend the more auto-pilot features you also get. So it is logical for someone with little drone experience who will stick with the hobby, to get something that makes it a LOT easier to learn to fly a drone.

The Evo 2 is the first drone that I have owned with auto-pilot features and honestly, I wish I would have learned on this drone first and the got progressively more manual as my skill increased.

Think of it like training wheels. Yes its an expensive hobby/toy if your not using it professionally, but what is not? Its a hell of a lot cheaper then my X3M (44.5 times cheaper and thats me factoring in extra batteries (2)) or my Prusa with MMU.

Stop being so negative, teach, seek to understand.

Edit: No coffee this morning yet, spelling

Evo 2 Owners:

If you buy this done, do a firmware upgrade before you even get it in the air. Your propellers will thank me. Any of the V1.X firmware pull to one side with autopilot and when it tries to auto land it will come down straight and then jerk to one side (possibly hitting obstacles as it lands or just dropping from the air like a no power situation). This was corrected in 2.2.

I think COVID has caused massive issue with their launch and not all drones are updated with new firmware (mine had a beta version)

Reactions: House Forasken
I thought it might be useful for owners to have one thread for discussing issues with the new series EVO drones. I have seen comments all over the place as these are being delivered and it is difficult to follow them all. As Autel reads the forum it may make it easier for them to become aware of what owners perceive as glitches, real or imagined, and incorporate into future firmware updates where possible. It is also a great way to have owner devised work arounds, in one place.

1- 10 bit color video issue shooting Log in 4k. So far people are only seeing 8k bit depth in their metadata files. This is a HUGE issue but Autel informed me they are well aware and working to understand and remedy the problem. As M2P offers 10 bit with an earlier series of this chipset we know the capability is there in the hardware.

2- Ditto the "5.5k@60fps" listed on P24 of the aircraft manual, that is a typo according to AutelSupport which we knew, as it would exceed bandwidth. This is not an issue, typos happen, but people should be made aware.

3-Reported drift to left in Ludicrous Mode while flying into a headwind (Youtube Rant). This seems to be improved in the latest firmware upgrade by a couple accounts, and as few people shoot video at top speed in a headwind, does not seem to me to be a real issue but YMMV.

As any new product like this will be improved as time goes on let's try to keep it practical and appreciative of the fact we have this drone platform with interchangeable cameras, and a company one can actually call and speak with. If we can keep it useful hopefully the thread will not become locked.
great idea i just got my first EVO2 Pro today and i did watch videos iv read alot about my new bird prior to even flying today of course its raining , so now im looking for all the flaws or perhaps the no no i will ready them all thanks for all your info i rather learn from others then me sharing the bad, iv always had Yuneec and Dji soon i will have another EVO2 as a back up with thermal .

anyways thanks everyone for all your great info , fly safe and watch the other Birds

Are there any EVO 2 owners with a gimbal that doesn't go out of level while panning at anything but the lowest speed?

I have yet to see a video with panning at speed that doesn't show the tilted horizon.

I would never pan at speed so can’t tell you. Although perhaps I misunderstood what speed “at speed” is.

I would never pan at speed so can’t tell you. Although perhaps I misunderstood what speed “at speed” is.
Normal cinematic panning speed, not turtle slow where you can hardly tell it is panning.

Watching the videos posted it seems you see that either the pans are being cut out or that there is a tilted horizon. Graceful transitions in pitch an yaw can be very cinematic, a tilted horizon not so much. Once noticed I find it very distracting.

I'm also getting GPS warning EVERY SINGLE TIME, even when I have 15 satellites. Thy have to to fix this!

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ranga