Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Evo in the cold weather is amazing

macoman

Reaction score
I have flew the Evo in a temperature of 11F and this beast of a drone flew stable without any issue. I went far away and back on with not problem at all. Very satisfied and happy with this drone so far.

I have flew the Evo in a temperature of 11F and this beast of a drone flew stable without any issue. I went far away and back on with not problem at all. Very satisfied and happy with this drone so far.

You have a bigger set than I do...LMAO! I flew mine today in 34 degree weather, but I kept it relatively close to observe how it would act. The batteries definitely don't last as long in the cold weather, but she flew well. I assume the fan runs constantly, regardless of temps outside. Not sure why the fan would need to be on in frigid weather, but then again I'm no electrical engineer either. LOL!

You have a bigger set than I do...LMAO! I flew mine today in 34 degree weather, but I kept it relatively close to observe how it would act. The batteries definitely don't last as long in the cold weather, but she flew well. I assume the fan runs constantly, regardless of temps outside. Not sure why the fan would need to be on in frigid weather, but then again I'm no electrical engineer either. LOL!

The fan is likely thermal-sensed variable-speed, and it's hard to imagine it would over-cool in-flight. Meanwhile, the hard-working battery, motors, and electronics will keep themselves warmer than ambient air by quite a bit. As long as you're in the air a few minutes after heading outdoors (and keep the drone warm after it lands) cold weather down to minus 10 F should be fine. In fact, it's much easier to overheat a drone than freeze it -- hot weather is where I worry (above 90 F).

Yeah, we were flying in the teens and it was fine. Wind gusts were in the high 30s too and there was no problem.

Reactions: mamanes and macoman
Good to know. I haven't flown mine in the cold yet. High of 11° today and fresh snow and sunshine. Think I'll be heading out in a couple of minutes for a bit....

After being out in the cold for a while I found that the batteries will not charge. They have to be brought up to a warmer temperature before the charging circuit will work. The charging error was indicated by the the second LED flashing on the battery while attempting to charge a cold battery. It took half an hour or so for it to finally start to charge but only after I held the battery button in for several seconds to force the battery monitor circuit off.

After being out in the cold for a while I found that the batteries will not charge. They have to be brought up to a warmer temperature before the charging circuit will work. The charging error was indicated by the the second LED flashing on the battery while attempting to charge a cold battery. It took half an hour or so for it to finally start to charge but only after I held the battery button in for several seconds to force the battery monitor circuit off.
Did the battery eventually recharge fully? No issues since then?

Yes. After forcing the battery monitor off and letting the battery warm up indoors for a little while it began to charge and went to full charge. I have since flown it with no problems.

Yeah, we were flying in the teens and it was fine. Wind gusts were in the high 30s too and there was no problem.
I have noticed that if the batteries are cold and you try to take off, it will not work because the batteries needs to get heat up. What I usually do is turn the motors on and let it run for 15 seconds. This will heat up the battery and will allow you to take off.

Reactions: Phillyjon

Interesting info! You positive you didn't remove the battery from the Evo without first turning the battery off? I only ask because I accidentally did that once and had the same symptoms. Mehhhh!

I flew my in Maryland when we had our first snow. It was beautiful. I was trying to load the video but it said it said it was too large for me to upload.

I flew my in Maryland when we had our first snow. It was beautiful. I was trying to load the video but it said it said it was too large for me to upload.
Did you tried to upload to youtube first?

Here is my First flight after a Maryland Winter storm. I went to a school nearby and put the Autel Evo to test. Amazing picture. no filters and I believe this camera is probably slightly better or if not better than my Yuneec Typhoon H pro.

Here is my First flight after a Maryland Winter storm. I went to a school nearby and put the Autel Evo to test. Amazing picture. no filters and I believe this camera is probably slightly better or if not better than my Yuneec Typhoon H pro.
Nice to see another person from MD that is active on the forums, in MD as well.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xander0791