Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

EVO ESC Experience?

waverider

Reaction score
At start-up of EVO 1 this a.m., three motors spooled up normally. However, the right rear motor (looking forward from the battery) stuttered, faltered then stopped completely. At the same time, a teensy puff of smoke came from somewhere. I was standing several feet away and on the opposite side so I couldn't tell, but the smoke could have come out of the vent on that side of the body of the drone .... or from that failing motor. Wherever smoke came from, it's probably NOT a good sign! The other 3 motors were unaffected and remained running normally.

Obviously, I discontinued plans to take off. Shut the whole thing down. It would not re-start. One light on the battery (far right light) was now illuminated and continuously flashing slowly. I know it's a good battery, only 36 charges and fully charged with 4 lights before start-up. When I removed the battery, all 4 lights lit up again normally. After I got home, I tried start-up with another verified good battery and got the same result: No start-up + one light on this second battery also continuously flashing just like the first battery.

Previous events with other drones suggests to me that this is probably related to either (a) a defective ESC or (b) a defective motor which then also smoked the ESC.

All I want to know is: Does anyone have experience with how Autel handles this? Are the ESCs integrated into the main flight control board? Do you have to replace the whole board? Will they replace just one motor if that's all it needs? Trying to decide whether it will be worth getting it fixed because it is long since out of warranty.
Thanks

At start-up of EVO 1 this a.m., three motors spooled up normally. However, the right rear motor (looking forward from the battery) stuttered, faltered then stopped completely. At the same time, a teensy puff of smoke came from somewhere. I was standing several feet away and on the opposite side so I couldn't tell, but the smoke could have come out of the vent on that side of the body of the drone .... or from that failing motor. Wherever smoke came from, it's probably NOT a good sign! The other 3 motors were unaffected and remained running normally.

Obviously, I discontinued plans to take off. Shut the whole thing down. It would not re-start. One light on the battery (far right light) was now illuminated and continuously flashing slowly. I know it's a good battery, only 36 charges and fully charged with 4 lights before start-up. When I removed the battery, all 4 lights lit up again normally. After I got home, I tried start-up with another verified good battery and got the same result: No start-up + one light on this second battery also continuously flashing just like the first battery.

Previous events with other drones suggests to me that this is probably related to either (a) a defective ESC or (b) a defective motor which then also smoked the ESC.

All I want to know is: Does anyone have experience with how Autel handles this? Are the ESCs integrated into the main flight control board? Do you have to replace the whole board? Will they replace just one motor if that's all it needs? Trying to decide whether it will be worth getting it fixed because it is long since out of warranty.
Thanks

I don't know how Autel handles the repair but I can confirm that the ESCs are integrated into the main board. Also, if you search for it, you can purchase the main board separately on eBay.

So the final verdict is: Autel informed me today that they no longer replace this Evo 1 main board by itself at any price. The alternative options offered to me were a $700 refurbished Evo 1 or 10% off a new EVO 2.
I'm getting it sent back and instead ordered the main board from ebay (dronebits) where its still available + a replacement motor for the one associated with the bad ESC, just to be safe.

So the end of this escapade is: I got the new power control/ESC board + right rear replacement motor. Installed new board including soldering 24 power wires and LED wires to board. Multiple test flights were uneventful and everything functions normal. Total cost for board + motor = $90.

When I removed the dead motor + strut during the repair I found something interesting. Insulation on the three power wires leading to that motor was melted into a big glob inside the strut and one wire—the black one—was burned in half! I don't know whether it was the board failure (ESC) that melted the wires or the wires somehow shorted and blew the board. Just glad it didn't happen while flying over the lake! Upshot: I'm back in the air again for a lot less than the $700 deal Autel offered me for a refurbished Evo 1.

So the end of this escapade is: I got the new power control/ESC board + right rear replacement motor. Installed new board including soldering 24 power wires and LED wires to board. Multiple test flights were uneventful and everything functions normal. Total cost for board + motor = $90.

When I removed the dead motor + strut during the repair I found something interesting. Insulation on the three power wires leading to that motor was melted into a big glob inside the strut and one wire—the black one—was burned in half! I don't know whether it was the board failure (ESC) that melted the wires or the wires somehow shorted and blew the board. Just glad it didn't happen while flying over the lake! Upshot: I'm back in the air again for a lot less than the $700 deal Autel offered me for a refurbished Evo 1.
Thank you for the update and story what happened. The same exact thing happened to my EVO1. I was on vacation and flew many times during the trip. On the last day, I prepared to take off (like every other time), and 3 of the motors started and the 4th just shook, without fully spinning. And a puff of smoke came out the side of the drone. I haven't fixed it yet, but at least I know it's possible. I did go out and buy a new EVO1, so I'm not grounded. On a side note, I went into my insurance company and tried to make a claim for the non-operational drone. Big mistake. They wouldn't give me anything for it, since it's still in one piece. I think if it would've fell and broke into pieces or fell in the lake, I could've gotten insurance money. But, I was truthful and told them it just wouldn't start. Thanks again for the story.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy