Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Evo - cracked antennas

My personal experience, and yours, too! It is my belief that the cracks are more cosmetic than detrimental. Had I not been having also having disconnects without FPV restoration which were not fixed or resolved by replacing the antennas, I would have accepted the cracks and not wasted 3 weeks of use sending in the RC to repair them under warranty, which is what I recommended in my post above. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Cosmetic cracks that don't affect the performance are just that.
My Evo went to warranty for a problem with the barometer, not the antennas. I took advantage and got my antennas replaced, since they started showing cracks. My complaint with them is lack of communication and turn around time. The Evo will perform even if the antenna was hanging from the controller, since what sends and receives signal is the wire inside.

I have not sent it again.

My Evo went to warranty for a problem with the barometer, not the antennas. I took advantage and got my antennas replaced, since they started showing cracks. My complaint with them is lack of communication and turn around time. The Evo will perform even if the antenna was hanging from the controller, since what sends and receives signal is the wire inside.

I have not sent it again.
That was my point, too. The antenna cracks are cosmetic, and unless they are affecting performance, don't waste your time sending them in for replacement. The replacement antennas are the same, and will likely crack, too.

That was my point, too. The antenna cracks are cosmetic, and unless they are affecting performance, don't waste your time sending them in for replacement. The replacement antennas are the same, and will likely crack, too.
Have you considered installing after market antennas?

Have you considered installing after market antennas?
I have, but I like having the option of the compact stock RC size, which installing after market antennas would sacrifice. Maybe a second controller is the solution. In the mean time, I purchased the LifThor EVO mount, which also protects the fragile stock antennas, but my initial range results using it were worse than without the LifThor. LifThor says their mount cannot interfere with signal. Still trying to determine if the problem is an app issue with Android or my Android tablet, as the LifThor tablet mount presses on the power button of my Android tablet, because of a weird location of the mount arm. Unfortunately, the LifThor mount is too large for my iPhone, to test it on the LifThor, and the LifThor ball mount is larger than others, so my many phone holders won't fit on it to test it. However, I just found a phone holder I bought for my ebike that does, in fact, fit, even if it weighs a ton as it all metal. I also updated my Mini 4 to iOS 12 and it will now allow me to synch my EVO flights, so I have some testing to do with the iPhone, the Mini 4, and another Android tablet. Ideally, the Mini 4 will be the solution, as it has a compass, and is far better than the Android devices that I only got because the iOS Explorer couldn't record flight logs at the time. I'm going to solve the problem one way or another! Have you modded your RC yet?

If you install aftermarket antennas and have an issue with the Evo or controller your warranty is voided. Just a heads up.

If you install aftermarket antennas and have an issue with the Evo or controller your warranty is voided. Just a heads up.
How would they know, if you purchase a second stock EVO controller for the mod, or after there is an EVO issue?

Anybody with a 3D printer care to take a crack at creating an antenna protector for when we put the RC in a case?

LP

Maybe you can find a case like one of those gaming controller cases or what the Parrat Anafi guys use to protect their RC from damage.

Opera Snapshot_2019-07-28_095154_www.amazon.ca.png

Maybe you can find a case like one of those gaming controller cases or what the Parrat Anafi guys use to protect there RC from damage.

View attachment 4831

That would only work if it prevented the controller from sliding around inside and having the antennas hit the side of the case. The whole idea of a snap on protector would be to prevent anything from touching the antennas...

LP

Ya you are correct so you would have to measure it up to see if it would fit tight in a case. All though a protector might help but I think the design of the antenna where it goes into the RC is bad and will over time crack no matter how careful you are.

I too had problems with antennas, and I solved the problem!
I procured a second controller for portability and I replaced the antennas of my original controller by:
Now I have 2 controllers, one for long range and the other with standard antennas for portability
Very happy with my setup.

Reactions: G_G
Autel replaced both of mine without question under warranty.

Good.

They offered to replace mine and I was prepared to drive the 30 mins to Bothell, WA to drop off the drone... then I remembered I was a BB elite plus member and checked my purchase history and saw I still had 5 days left in my 45 day return period and went back to the store. After the CSR saw the cracks they swapped it for a new one.

I also made sure I returned my most used battery (I have 6) with the drone since I was getting a new one of those as well. :)

I am going to be extra careful with the drone antennas just to make sure I don't do any accidental damage myself.

I have, but I like having the option of the compact stock RC size, which installing after market antennas would sacrifice. Maybe a second controller is the solution. In the mean time, I purchased the LifThor EVO mount, which also protects the fragile stock antennas, but my initial range results using it were worse than without the LifThor. LifThor says their mount cannot interfere with signal. Still trying to determine if the problem is an app issue with Android or my Android tablet, as the LifThor tablet mount presses on the power button of my Android tablet, because of a weird location of the mount arm. Unfortunately, the LifThor mount is too large for my iPhone, to test it on the LifThor, and the LifThor ball mount is larger than others, so my many phone holders won't fit on it to test it. However, I just found a phone holder I bought for my ebike that does, in fact, fit, even if it weighs a ton as it all metal. I also updated my Mini 4 to iOS 12 and it will now allow me to synch my EVO flights, so I have some testing to do with the iPhone, the Mini 4, and another Android tablet. Ideally, the Mini 4 will be the solution, as it has a compass, and is far better than the Android devices that I only got because the iOS Explorer couldn't record flight logs at the time. I'm going to solve the problem one way or another! Have you modded your RC yet?
I did mod it, but broke the coaxial cable in the process, so had to go back to stock antennas. I ordered a new kit, but have yet to try again. Others have been successful and gotten better range with that kit.

I too had problems with antennas, and I solved the problem!
I procured a second controller for portability and I replaced the antennas of my original controller by:
Now I have 2 controllers, one for long range and the other with standard antennas for portability
Very happy with my setup.
Cool! That's the definitely the direction I was already leaning in!
Why limit yourself to either/or when you can have both! Linking to another controller is easy and fast.

Reactions: MD Automation
I did mod it, but broke the coaxial cable in the process, so had to go back to stock antennas. I ordered a new kit, but have yet to try again. Others have been successful and gotten better range with that kit.
Sorry it didn't go well. I will likely pay a professional, who has successfully done it many times before, to do the antenna mod for me, for a small labor fee. Best not to learn all the pitfalls of the install on your own equipment! I know my limitations! I have no doubt the DBS-02 antenna improves range, as it did with all my "other" equipment, before Occusync.

Reactions: Ansia and TravisPNW
Sorry it didn't go well. I will likely pay a professional, who has successfully done it many times before, to do the antenna mod for me, for a small labor fee. Best not to learn all the pitfalls of the install on your own equipment! I know my limitations! I have no doubt the DBS-02 antenna improves range, as it did with all my "other" equipment, before Occusync.

I'd most likely do the same. I'm somewhat tech savvy... I did take apart my $600 graphics card on my PC to remove the air cooling system and install a liquid cooling system and I could probably do the RC as well... but I'd rather pay someone else if possible.

Hopefully won't have to go that route. Given I'm with a new Evo with new antennas I will be babying them ever so gently every time I touch them.

Not disappointed with the range... I've had the Evo a mile away on the edge of LOS and no problems.. and I'm in Washington state with a lot of hills and trees.

C
I'd most likely do the same. I'm somewhat tech savvy... I did take apart my $600 graphics card on my PC to remove the air cooling system and install a liquid cooling system and I could probably do the RC as well... but I'd rather pay someone else if possible.

Hopefully won't have to go that route. Given I'm with a new Evo with new antennas I will be babying them ever so gently every time I touch them.

Not disappointed with the range... I've had the Evo a mile away on the edge of LOS and no problems.. and I'm in Washington state with a lot of hills and trees.
Completely stock, the EVO is rock solid out to a mile, which is the range within which it excels. Labor to do the antenna mod is $99 at maxxuav.com if you send them the EVO controller you want modded to accept external antennas.

Reactions: TravisPNW
You can always do the mod yourself. It is really easy. All it requires are the right tools and a bit of patience.

I wonder if wind surfers help any.

Completely stock, the EVO is rock solid out to a mile, which is the range within which it excels.

I agree....unless there are heavy trees or foliage in the way. That's where I see it failing. I've had it out a mile and a half over water (with strobes) with no problems with video signal.

LP

I agree....unless there are heavy trees or foliage in the way. That's where I see it failing. I've had it out a mile and a half over water (with strobes) with no problems with video signal.

LP
I've successfully had it out to 3 miles, with clear LOS, with no problems, and, then, each time, suddenly, for no apparent reason, on the return trip, when even closer, with no intervening obstructions, signal will drop, FPV goes to black and white and freezes, RTH engages, and FPV is not restored until half a mile away, even though signal is restored soon after the RTH, allowing RTH cancelation and control, but no FPV. Autel could find no problems during antenna replacement, but the issue remains. Weird.

• Wow

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dajofa