Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Evo boat mode tutorial

Glad Alejandro got some freshair time for the video. He couldn't give me an ETA on when they would deliver but apparently the group put a high priority on "setting the record straight" on how to deploy and use this feature. The original beta testers (on YT) were sorely ill-advised in their perception of how the function should be used.

I want to mention an important issue that really was not discussed or emphasized in the video due to its abbreviated duration. The boat mode is really not designed to land on a boat surface that is under power, i.e. in forward progress more than at a very slow drifting speed at the most. The drone is designed to HOVER in its programming before lowering the remaining 3 feet to the landing surface as we all know. And its telemetry and attitude orientation confirms it's in a static hover before landing. If a boat is under power and the pilot must FLY the drone to remain over the boat's landing surface before landing, the orientation of the aircraft will be in a flight mode and telemetry will tell the drone it is flying. It will also be in a forward pitch orientation also confirming the bird is not perfectly level in static hover and ready for landing. =>>It's 100% different when taking off from a moving boat under power as the aircraft immediately goes into static hover mode as soon as it lifts off the launch pad so no threat of an accident (unless the water skier at the end of the tow rope smacks the bird before you go to altitude).

Although I have not confirmed it I assume the flight safeguards probably won't allow the aircraft to be "commanded" to land if it senses its flying in a forward direction, otherwise that would allow a pilot to literally fly the bird into the ground. Or in boat mode, fly it right into the boat cockpit (below launch altitude) where arms, legs, and bodies are present in close quarters.

I believe the references to "a moving boat" is in regard to a rocking or bouncing boat as a result of water conditions, i.e. waves, swells, chop, wakes, wind drift, etc. And not an inference that the boat can actually be under power and still perform a successful landing.

It will be interesting to see who has the cojones to give it a try landing on a boat deck/platform while under boat motor power. And whether or not it can be done.

Just imagine your bird is flying stationary over the back of the boat landing zone while the boat is under power and the pilot drops the stick to land, the bird immediately goes into static hover, the boat 'drives' away out from under the aircraft and the bird drops in the drink! Ouch. Pilots beware.

P.S. SDXC cards are waterproof! So if you somehow recover your drone be sure to post the video for the rest of us. I'd like to see how waterproof the camera is. ?

If you plan on using your drone while the boat is sailing, I discourage you from using the Evo. The XSP is better suited for that job. You will have to hand launch and land. There is no such thing as landing or taking off a moving object.

If you try to do so, you will soon realize that your drone will flip, crash, or dive.

I have flown from a sailing boat. I crashed into the backstay. After that experience hand everything from the boat.

Reactions: Trox
Not being able to get out of the office in forever. Do you think Alejandro was singing this in his mind?
Clean version ^^^^^^^^^^^^ lol

Alejandro probably rolls more like this though

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Ansia
Hmmm, I thought the dunce cap lol.

EDIT: Alejandro, if you are watching. I'm just kidding!! lol

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Ansia

Latest threads

Members online