Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Evo 2, Photos blurred to the edges

troya

Reaction score
Hello,
I compared the image quality of my "old" DJI Mini 2 vs. Evo 2 640t and it looks like the image of the Evo is going blurred to the edges of the photo. In the center it looks more clear.
Can somebody confirm this or do I have a bad lense or something?

Vergleich Evo - Mini 2, Center.jpg
Vergleich Evo - Mini 2, Edge.jpg

Attachments

• Evo2.JPG
    Evo2.JPG
    8.7 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Nearly as I can tell, my Evo 2 lens is not very sharp at the edges at a wider aperture than about f/5.6. All the way down to f/11 it is acceptable sharp edge to edge. It is a characteristic of a less than high quality lens, and is seen across the lens spectrum of all cameras. On traditional cameras, all lenses have an optimum aperture, wherein the image is acceptably sharp edge to edge. Only when one uses the very expensive Zeiss or Nikon or Canon, etc., lenses do we see this type of lens aberration minimized. At least one model of DJI drone uses a Zeiss/Hasselblad lens and camera combination. What was your aperture setting for the photo?

Reactions: herein2021
Hello,
I compared the image quality of my "old" DJI Mini 2 vs. Evo 2 640t and it looks like the image of the Evo is going blurred to the edges of the photo. In the center it looks more clear.
Can somebody confirm this or do I have a bad lense or something?

View attachment 14748
View attachment 14749

As @trainflyer mentioned, with variable aperture cameras the aperture will affect the sharpness. With the EVO II, the sharpest aperture is right around F5.6. Below and above that aperture, the image will be softer especially at the edges.

Of course if you really want to pixel peep, you can try going up and down a few stops to see if your particular lens is slightly sharper a little over or under, but if you go to either of the edges it will be softer.

I have camera lenses where just the lens cost more than the whole EVO II and every one of them still has a "sweet spot" for sharpness. For most FF lenses that's around F8, for most drone and smaller lenses that's around F5.6.

I do go more into how I use the lens distortion at F11 to my advantage when shooting video in this thread: Why I NEVER use ND Filters with Drone Cameras.

Thank you both!
But the "problem" is that I've the Evo 2 640t which has a fixed aperture of f/1.8 😕

Do you have some tips nevertheless?

Last edited:

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coastaldrone