Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

E2P (Probally also all Evo IIs) Possible OA Blind or Weak Spot

gschulzuio

Reaction score
Noticed something today while manually stick landing an E2P with Obstacle Avoidance (OA) on. Close to landing the E2P was not quite lined up with landing pad, however as I was standing close, it would not back towards me (probably a good thing), rotate 90 degrees tried to adjust and side sensor intervened (probably a good thing), rotate 180 same thing, rotate 90 same thing. Then on a whim rotated 45 degree and was able to crab in towards myself. Figured what the heck, make a few more adjustments, and low and behold, when sensors are perpendicular, they do what they are supposed to. However if at a 45, the OA may or may not interfere with landing adjustments. The bad news is that there could be a partial weak (Im not convinced blind side) spot for OA, the good news is if trying to land and OA is preventing adjustments to what you need, try rotating 45 degrees, it may or may not work. Give it a try and see what you experience. Safe and fun flying...

Noticed something today while manually stick landing an E2P with Obstacle Avoidance (OA) on. Close to landing the E2P was not quite lined up with landing pad, however as I was standing close, it would not back towards me (probably a good thing), rotate 90 degrees tried to adjust and side sensor intervened (probably a good thing), rotate 180 same thing, rotate 90 same thing. Then on a whim rotated 45 degree and was able to crab in towards myself. Figured what the heck, make a few more adjustments, and low and behold, when sensors are perpendicular, they do what they are supposed to. However if at a 45, the OA may or may not interfere with landing adjustments. The bad news is that there could be a partial weak (Im not convinced blind side) spot for OA, the good news is if trying to land and OA is preventing adjustments to what you need, try rotating 45 degrees, it may or may not work. Give it a try and see what you experience. Safe and fun flying...

OA is kind of like automatic cruise control; nice to have in an emergency (sometimes) but no way would I ever deliberately put the drone in a situation where my only way out is depending on OA. They all have blind spots and false positives. I've found over the years that OA is usually more a nuisance than anything; especially when landing or performing precision flying for certain projects. But I leave it on anyway and only turn it off when it is preventing me from performing a specific maneuver.

DJI's OA on all of the drones that I have flown is far inferior to what I've seen with the EVO II. The downside is that the EVO II seems to have a lot more false positives which can really disrupt a perfectly good maneuver when it comes to a screeching halt. I will probably need to preemptively turn it off when shooting projects where I only get one chance to film a critical shot in an event such as the finish line at a race.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials