Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Drone Insurance (State Farm) Question

IMHO..I feel a police report is part of the documentation of the event.
Its easier to prove what happened if the report is filed.
Like Dfly said, "steering the OP away from this is doing him a disservice"
Also if the offender is located, maybe the police (or FAA) can educate her.

Reactions: Dfly
Presumably this is in response to me. I’m curious why you are so certain of this. Personal experience?

I think steering the OP away from this is doing him a disservice, and the rest of us who pay insurance premiums. If the offender is identified, a judge can order (at least some) restitution. If not, the insurance co can go after her if she’s identified. You may be right that it could just end up being for naught, with nothing developed.
not responding to anyone specifically. just speaking from personal experience in dealing with these types of things including a sf claim. trust me, there is no upside and whole bunch of downside unless sf requires you to file a police report. don't do it; let me know if you want to know why not.

to answer the questions in this post directly, there is zero effect on the rest of us who pay insurance premiums, there is no restitution to be paid, the insurance company is not going after anyone. sf will cut you a check, cancel your policy, you no longer need to get your drone back or get paid to replace it, buy a new evo 2, lessons learned, people don't like us and our drone, next time be ready.

IMHO..I feel a police report is part of the documentation of the event.
Its easier to prove what happened if the report is filed.
Like Dfly said, "steering the OP away from this is doing him a disservice"
Also if the offender is located, maybe the police (or FAA) can educate her.
again, unless sf requires it, then it's not part of the documentation. now is not a good time to insert us and our drones into the legal system or into civil litigation processes. my advice to the op is learn to take yes for an answer, take the sf check and move on. we fly, we aren't in the business to educate criminals who shoot at our drones because we know that doesn't work, we're not protecting the next drone flyer because there are plenty of angry people out there, she's not the only "problem." I disagree, the faa is exactly who you don't want to get involved.

My drones are part of my photography coverage, cameras, lens, lights, stands, remotes, and 2 laptops. $20K worth of replacement coverage. $134 every 6 months.
State Farm covers our homes, vehicles, water toys, and anything else we have insured.
People have been paying $50-$75 yr for one drone, depending where they live.
So all of these drone insurance companies are more of a scam then since they want about double the price and I should go to my regular insurance company, correct?

So all of these drone insurance companies are more of a scam then since they want about double the price and I should go to my regular insurance company, correct?
Not all home insurance companies cover drones, but it doesn't hurt to ask
You may have to put your drone in a personal properties coverage
also not every part of the country have the same rates.

For what it’s worth, I called my SF agent and asked about commercial drone coverage. They checked with the underwriters and said they aren’t taking any business customers. So, on to the other providers, it is.

• Sad
Reactions: GunnerBAC
I have a policy with State Farm for my EVO 1 and was curious if anyone else on here has one. Here's the situation... I was flying at a local outdoor event at civil twighlight and there was an irate person who obviously did not like the idea of me flying and taking pictures. I was unaware of this and when I was descending to take a video she started chasing my drone with a pole and before I could ascend out of her reach she struck my drone causing it to go out of control. My first priority was to make sure it didn't hit anyone so I was concentrating on trying to control the drone which ended up flying away anyway never to be seen again. As far as I can tell it is either in the river or in a tree somewhere, I went looking for it to no avail. I do not know who woman was and nobody seems to know who she is either or is willing to admit it.
So, What do I have to do to submit this claim? Is it even worth it? Is it covered as a fly away? What do they require me to give them to show it was actually lost. I was not filming at the time so I have no video of this.
I have read other posts that said State Farm drops you after 1 claim and does not pay for flyaways just stolen equipment. I lost my drone and my lights and ND filter so the claim would be approx $1000.
Any assistance or advise would be appreciated !
I would of caved he head in. Should of had he locked up.

For what it’s worth, I called my SF agent and asked about commercial drone coverage. They checked with the underwriters and said they aren’t taking any business customers. So, on to the other providers, it is.
Where do you live?
State Farm has insurance for photographers, Its in their website
Photographer Insurance - State Farm®
That is what my part time business coverage is in. I have Commercial Articles insurance to cover my cameras lenses and equipment, and my drones are part of my equipment,
and the General Liability to cover injuries.
Maybe you asked your agent for the wrong coverage, You should check into the Photographers Insurance Coverage, not just Commercial Drone Coverage.
I think if you want just the Drone Insurance, you should look under aviation coverage.

Where do you live?
State Farm has insurance for photographers, Its in their website
Photographer Insurance - State Farm®
That is what my part time business coverage is in. I have Commercial Articles insurance to cover my cameras lenses and equipment, and my drones are part of my equipment,
and the General Liability to cover injuries.
Maybe you asked your agent for the wrong coverage, You should check into the Photographers Insurance Coverage, not just Commercial Drone Coverage.
I think if you want just the Drone Insurance, you should look under aviation coverage.
I’m in MN. I’ll take a look into that option as well, thanks for the pointer.

I know I'm late to this thread, but I had State Farm. They paid two claims for lost drones. I had to submit a receipt for the drones, but they didn't require anything else...they just took my word that the drones were lost. They paid both claims, but after the second incident, they dropped me.

Reactions: edgardcafe
Can you blame them?
I would have preferred they raised the rate on the renewal, I could have done $100/yr.

this was awhile back and if I had known they would drop you and never ever renew you again? then I probably wouldn't have burned it on a Mavic 2 zoom that got destroyed.

they renewed me with a new drone but 3 months in, got the drop notice.

maybe it's not a big deal since I always go for the autel care/care refresh for first year but stfarm was cheap and solid insurance.

Reactions: davshev
Got dropped after first claim. Took my word it malfunctioned. Just had to show a receipt like others have said. Sounds like your malfunctioned.

I have a policy with State Farm for my EVO 1 and was curious if anyone else on here has one. Here's the situation... I was flying at a local outdoor event at civil twighlight and there was an irate person who obviously did not like the idea of me flying and taking pictures. I was unaware of this and when I was descending to take a video she started chasing my drone with a pole and before I could ascend out of her reach she struck my drone causing it to go out of control. My first priority was to make sure it didn't hit anyone so I was concentrating on trying to control the drone which ended up flying away anyway never to be seen again. As far as I can tell it is either in the river or in a tree somewhere, I went looking for it to no avail. I do not know who woman was and nobody seems to know who she is either or is willing to admit it.
So, What do I have to do to submit this claim? Is it even worth it? Is it covered as a fly away? What do they require me to give them to show it was actually lost. I was not filming at the time so I have no video of this.
I have read other posts that said State Farm drops you after 1 claim and does not pay for flyaways just stolen equipment. I lost my drone and my lights and ND filter so the claim would be approx $1000.
Any assistance or advise would be appreciated !
Some things are cover under your home owners insurance..you may want to check with them. Hope this helps

Some things are cover under your home owners insurance..you may want to check with them. Hope this helps
From my experience with State Farm, I simply called my agent when my drone was lost and submitted a claim. They did not ask for proof that it was physically lost. They took a statement from me and reviewed the invoice I gave them for the cost of the drone. The payment was fairly quick. I made two claims and they paid both with no proof of having lost the drone. However, after the second claim was paid, they dropped me.

How much State Farm drone insurance cost?

It all depends on what you paid for your drone. But according to the reports of Drone pilots, it’s around $2.75 per $100 insured, sometimes with a $60 mininum. Read the complete article to get complete knowledge about State Farm drone insurance.

Read Full Article State Farm drone insurance.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials