Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Drone for disability one hand only

MichelleDelly

Reaction score
Hi, I want to buy a drone for my Dad who can only use right hand due to left hand paralysis - any suggestions?? Thanks in advance Michelle

Hi, I want to buy a drone for my Dad who can only use right hand due to left hand paralysis - any suggestions?? Thanks in advance Michelle
Hey Michelle, that's awesome of you. I have two recommendations for you. The 1st is to look into the FT Aviator controller from Fluidity (FT Aviator Drone Controller for DJI Drones by Fluidity Tech). It's compatible with a number of popular drones. The 2nd is to look into the DJI FPV drone with the motion controller add on.

I hope that helps!

You could use almost any of the rec drones available by mounting the controller on a tripod or similar . A neck strap might work but I don't think it would be as easy to use.
Basic movements would be easy enough and he could work on complex manoeuvres single handed.

DJI FPV....but check if he really wants some like this, it will not be a nice thing to pack and unpack the drone...

Michelle,
I had a stroke in 2013, had the same fears but a visit to my DJI dealer took it all away. I now fly for my fire dept. (a huge DJI M600) with ease. Modern drones have accelerometers and GPS all integrated so they are stable and easy to maneuver with one hand.

For a first recreational drone I'd recommend a DJI Mavic, DJI Phantom, or Autel EVO. Any entry level drone will be good for your dad. Ensure you get a neck lanyard.

They are easy to fly with a disabled left hand/arm; I'm living proof.

Reactions: SARty
Michelle or any of the others interested,

Haven’t used the FT Aviator in a while with the Mavic 2 Pro, when I did use it actually was usable with one hand operation most of the flight because of how it was mounted. Originally, had the FT Aviator controller mounted to side of foldable picnic chair with Mavic Pro Controller and iPad mounted onto a tripod. Sat comfortable with right hand controlling Aviator controller, didn’t need the other hand unless was strolling the gimbal or pressing the picture button. FT Aviator was secure with lock bolt, Was a neat relaxing setup.

Always wanted a decent control station, And with FT Aviator shutting it’s doors figured might as well put good use to the FT Aviator Controller to the carrying case. Pass two days mounted the FT Aviator onto the carrying case, it quickly disassembles for break down and figured out a way to use the LiftThor mount and it too breaks down. The LiftThor swivel ball mount is mounted permanent and positioned to not damage the center drone or battery, when closing the hatch the metal ball swivel mount slides between rear Evo 2 and center battery.

The FT Aviator mounts directly in same slot as Mavic 2 controller, the mount is same size as slot with a tight fit. Everything works, FT Aviator app still connects to controller, Mavic 2 Pro and iPad, will take her out this late afternoon for a base station maiden flight.

Will report with an update, should do well and I’ll fly with one hand only and report how that went.

Paul

4CDFA2D4-3036-44FF-A1E9-1C2A38984E39.jpeg5CDE85D2-4289-46F6-9A2C-E4893421724D.jpeg43EA8AFD-5B12-4481-8F13-AFADB9F9F1C7.jpeg002ACEA0-718E-4135-85EC-7715FD0EE194.jpeg

An update using one hand to control and navigate the Mavic 2 Pro, using the FT Aviator hand controller. The location, an area rich with oak trees and wild foliage. Property owner allows me to fly both my drones and RC planes, and metal detect. The historical (1850) area is our first settlement, first county seat and off the main trail many pioneers including Kit Carson and John Fremont journeyed on.

Haven’t used the FT Aviator since late 2019, took me a while to figure out how to connect and that was due to using the wrong Mavic 2 controller port, to successfully connect the bottom port between the Mavic 2 controller handles is the correct port to connect to the iPad or iPhone with using the FT Aviator app, The Mavie 2 controller side port didn’t work. Fortunately, the app is still available on the internet so I uploaded the app to my iPad 7 two nights ago.

Used up two batteries, each flight with one hand operation. To take pictures, had to stop and hover while taking screenshots or pressing the camera button on FT Aviator hand controller. Then, presumed flight moving along. Aviator hand controller has several speed settings, to fly in areas with obstacles (trees, foliage, etc) selected the speed above turtle mode. Turtle mode is too slow so I flew with 2 or 3 speed setting, that’s plenty fast in areas with obstacles to maneuver.

So it’s very doable flying with one hand using FT Aviator, as long as the Aviator hand controller is secured to a base with no chance of moving. Was a fun two flights, very relaxing maybe next time I’ll mount the controller to lawn chair again and place the base station in front of the lawn chair.

Before I forget, the only cabled connections are between iPad and Mavic 2 controller. Using Bluetooth, FT Aviator is connected wireless to both iPad and Mavic 2 controller. The hand controller is completely wireless, which is neat and can be mounted onto a lawn chair or in this case the top of my Autel carrying case.

Paul921A0A0D-BB04-461F-BAEC-8942E0277EFD.jpeg86704DDA-69FD-441A-93E9-D7B357377083.pngDDF980A2-C3B2-49FF-AE32-BC6DD537EE9B.jpeg7A67A435-BB5C-4F75-A227-54DAC4781550.jpegF718C81F-D65F-40EC-89FD-78E3467F4070.jpeg37DF0F1D-A3D9-4A3D-A2EE-5CBBE948AEBE.jpegC04C961F-81BB-4C43-8A3B-50C92879CE4A.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials