Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Does the EVO RC USB PORT accept power charging?

The Guy In The Helmet

Reaction score
The micro port is getting worn out! So, unless there's a way to fix this, I wonder if I can use a normal USB-to-USB for charging AS WELL AS USB-to-C for tethering phone as second monitor.

Anyone experience with this?

I don't know about the charging part, but yes, you can use the USB-A port to connect your phone and you will get a live feed.

The USB-A to USB-C to the phone is a whole lot more secured than the micro port! I don't know why I haven't thought of doing that already!

I just now need to find a USB-A to USB-A cable to see if that will charge the Remote Control from the charging brick!

Ideally, I would like to avoid the (ultra weak) micro ports altogether...

Still, if anyone has experience they've done any of this, please chime in!

Thanks!

The USB-A to USB-C to the phone is a whole lot more secured than the micro port! I don't know why I haven't thought of doing that already!

I just now need to find a USB-A to USB-A cable to see if that will charge the Remote Control from the charging brick!

Ideally, I would like to avoid the (ultra weak) micro ports altogether...

Still, if anyone has experience they've done any of this, please chime in!

Thanks!
If you have an android device, all likely you can try it out. When you connect the controller, just drop down the menu and switch from media play/transfer option of the port settings to charge the other device. If it starts charging, then you know it works.

Usually it is not the female end ports that wear out. It is the male end of the cable that gets worn down and a replacement cable solves the problem.

Okay... Here's part of the conclusion...

I found one of the cables that works I needed to 'try' things out in the regard mentioned above:

Theory:
1) I found an USB 3 A-to-A... plugged one end into the charging block and the other into the Remote.
2) I found an USB 2 to USB C... plugged one end of the USB 2 into Remotes USB-A female port and the USB C into my Android device. (I know USB 2 because it does not have that USB3 blue)

Result:
For 1): No sign of charging on the RC. To make sure, I plugged in the cable that came with the drone, and the 'original' cable works and RC charging.
For 2): Both phone and RC worked flawlessly.

Verdict:
For 1): I wonder if this did not work is due to USB3 and not USB2 cable?
For 2): I will now see about acquiring an 1-ft cable instead of using the remnant mentioned above. Though, this leads me to think, if I can get a long enough cable and is USB2 (male) to HMDI (male), then I can plug it up to a TV/Monitor... OR... I can get USB2 (male) to USB2 (male) and plug it to TV for display (maybe this option wouldn't work due to wrong protocol).

Question:
Do you think, getting an "USB2" cable would then solve the 'charging issue' aforementioned? (link: Amazon.com: Monoprice USB-A to USB-A 2.0 Cable - 28/24AWG, Gold Plated, Black, 1.5ft: Gateway )

Bonus Question:
What is that black block or cylindrical block on one end of the (oem) USB2 cable that comes with the drone. Same question applies to the cable link provided by Ansia.

Bonus Question:
What is that black block or cylindrical block on one end of the (oem) USB2 cable that comes with the drone. Same question applies to the cable link provided by Ansia.
That is a toroid, which serves to keep spurious RF from using the cable as a highway into the RC or Phone/Tablet.

Well, thank you for that... Augustine. Would you then help me find the specifics related to specifically what I am attempting to determine? Which is... while my usb3 a2a can't charge the remote from the charging brick, would the usb2 a2a work? If so, which one of the usb2 would work - one with the toroid or without?

My impression of the toroid is to help stop RF noise which really is not a problem when charging. I have used many with and without and it makes no difference that I have noticed.

Manual, don't need no stinkin manual! :rolleyes:

Seriously, I did not get a manual with my Evo. Only two little black pamplets, a quick guide and a disclaimer/safety instructions.:cool:

butch

Its amazing what you will find in a manual if you actually take the time to read it :)

Cost saving from most companies now a days that they do not include a manual. They should at least provide a piece of paper with a link to the manual from their web site. When I bought my Anafi there was a very small but very thick book that told me absolutely nothing about the UAV in 20 different languages. :)

Here's the manual -- I seen a Quick Start Guide also -- if that was in my box, I missed that! LoL I guess they think everyone automatically thinks or knows to download manuals now -- so they do not have to print them and have a cost for including them.

What I find strange is the filename from Autel's site suggest this was updated March 27, 2019 (my birthday!)

I do not see much difference yet -- to know if anything major changed... I do see it still listed with 900 MHz ... lol

EVO User Manual English 3/27/2019

Here's the manual -- I seen a Quick Start Guide also -- if that was in my box, I missed that! LoL I guess they think everyone automatically thinks or knows to download manuals now -- so they do not have to print them and have a cost for including them.

What I find strange is the filename from Autel's site suggest this was updated March 27, 2019 (my birthday!)

I do not see much difference yet -- to know if anything major changed... I do see it still listed with 900 MHz ... lol

EVO User Manual English 3/27/2019
Thanks for the link to the manual thomasr :)

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xander0791