Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Do you think a Drone could never fall from the sky and hit someone? Guess again......

Ansia

Reaction score
I stole this annecdote from a sister site. I've read a few times that people think drones can't fall from the sky and that is human error. Here is proof it isn't always the case.

"I received the following information in an email at work this week.

Title: Drone Event

Date: 9/23/2019
Summary
A Duke Energy contractor was struck by a falling drone at the former Duke Energy Miami Fort (OH) Power Station. Duke contractors were performing exterior asbestos preparation work in an area adjacent to the generating plant which is now operated by a peer utility
The peer utility had contracted with a company to take aerial pictures of the coal adjacent to the Duke work area. The drone was to fly a pre-programmed route of the coal yard staying a minimum of 200 feet west of the stack where Duke contractors were working. The drone was pre-programmed with GPS coordinates. The pilot realized that the drone was off course and went to his truck to locate it. At that point, the drone contacted the stack 340 feet above the ground. The drone then lost power and descended rapidly to strike a Duke contract worker who was standing on the ground near the base of the stack. He was treated for minor injuries to the chest and shoulder. The drone weighed 3 pounds and was 12 inches in diameter.

Lessons Learned

Note that this was not a Duke Energy drone operation. If unwanted drones are spotted, contact Duke Energy Aviation Services immediately.

Duke Energy personnel shall follow these work practices:
All Duke Energy drone operations must be approved and coordinated through Duke Energy Aviation Services.
Federal regulations prohibit flight over people.
Contact Aviation Services immediately for the following:
All questions about drone operations.
If operational, near miss, or injury incidents occur.
The pictures that were included in the original email show that the Drone in this accident was a Phantom 4 Pro. Duke will be following up with a formal investigation into this incident. When that becomes available I will post the detailed findings.

I am not posting this to be an alarmist or to start a debate. Just trying to point out to those folks that think certain things won't happen actually do happen - even when trying to fly safely. It is the reason why Regulations exist and why Safety and Situational Awareness are important. Obviously Regulations alone do not prevent accidents like this. But they do help bring to the forefront why safety is of the utmost importance. And I feel they help make folks aware that these "toys" need to be flown responsibly."

Anecdote belongs to bdooley.

This is why of the reasons I never fly over people or a crowded city or neighborhood. I always fly in an empty park or over a lake or river. If the drone fail, the only lost will be the drone itself and no worry about been sue because I hit someone's car or a human.

Reactions: Tufargon
This is why of the reasons I never fly over people or a crowded city or neighborhood. I always fly in an empty park or over a lake or river. If the drone fail, the only lost will be the drone itself and no worry about been sue because I hit someone's car or a human.
Perhaps the guy who is selling the banged up drone withoutcontroller or charger, found his Evo on a barge, over at Philly. ?

Reactions: macoman

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScottD