Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

DJI pilot looking at EVO

MPdroner

Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Hello all,

New to EVO and this forum. Looks like a fine group. I have been flying DJI and Yuneec drones for almost 3 years now. Have over 400 flights and 150 hours in them combined. I favor the Mavic and have most of my time in that model.

This past week I was given an EVO for testing and evaluation. I must say I was pleasantly surprised and found it a great little machine to fly. I had put about 2 hours on the EVO when I decided to test the Ludicrous mode. Obviously I did not have the skills to complete that maneuver. I kind of knew there might be some altitude loss (Mavic suffers from this .... small amount). So before I attempted the L-mode i made sure I had 25-30 foot clearance of the trees I would be flying over. So I blasted off and after a few seconds (flying visually) I noticed the EVO seemed to be losing altitude. I made the cardinal mistake of keeping my stick forward while evaluating what was going on. One look down and a quick look up and it was over. EVO and a tree had become close friends. Heartbreaking...my first crash in two years. And a new drone to boot. Lesson learned about L-mode.

Just because I was curious I checked the data on my ill fated flight. The flight lasted 7seconds, covered 110 meters and lost over 9 meters of altitude. It was a warm day with less than 3 knots of wind. I have attached the specifics of the flight to this note.

On a positive note, checking the coordinates I received at the time of the crash, I did find the drone beneath the tree it ran into. Considering it hit the tree at a fast clip and fell nearly 21 meters to the ground, it was surprisingly intact. Of course the gimbal was whacked. But all arms and props were fine. The right corner of the case was scraped. The EVO fired up fine and appeared to be fully functional except for the camera. Apparently it is quite the beast and I was pleasantly surprised at its crash survivability.

Since this was an eval unit, I was able to send it back to Autel and another unit is on the way back. So, in less than a couple days and 2 hours of flight time I have experienced a great flying machine with comparable (to DJI) photo abilities and superior video abilities. Good flight characteristics and a great survivability. Not to mention great and prompt customer service from Autel. I cant wait to get my new unit to complete my testing.

I look forward to conversations on this board and any helpful tips you offer as I venture into the new world of Autel.

Attachments

• C32B5A47-4CF9-4941-98EA-E121634187F1.jpeg
    C32B5A47-4CF9-4941-98EA-E121634187F1.jpeg
    265.8 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: SD_PIlot
Welcome to the forums!

I hope you enjoy your time with us.?

If you have any questions, please use the search option before posting, in case someone else already has and someone gave the solution.

Please make sure to read the community rules in the link in my signature and to have fun!

Welcome to the site MPdroner, no worries it happens. L-mode is something to watch out when in operation. Check this thread I created based on the L-mode or I call it B-Mode for Beast ! lol

I also have few years of experience with multiple drones, i.e. DJI crafts but also bought the Evo about 4 months ago. Superb craft for sure.

Again welcome and enjoy the Evo again upon arrival.

I Too have been flying for 3 years with my DJI MP. It is my baby , goto reliable bird. Never has let me down. Now that i have purchased the EP2 6k I am so impressed with this bird. Totally love flying it. Learning how to maneuver it is my challenge, lol. Its still jerky after setting all the parameters to the way i have the mavic. Few more flights and ill get the hang of it. The Sony camera is amazing. Just trying to set up the camera setting for some night flying. Any suggestions for best settings that you all have used and proved to get great pics and video. I have watched youtube videos on this but would like to hear your thoughts. TIA.... Happy flying !!!

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sky3d