Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Dealing with Autel

Has anyone ever had a similar wreck and what was the cause.

• Yes, this was the cause

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, Never heard of anything like this

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Try to contact some one in R. & M. that checked out the drone

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Mac Hedges

Reaction score
I don't know where this should be listed but I'd like for all of Autel Pilots readers to know about my recent experience with Autel's Customer Service department and the Repair and Maintenance section.

I'm 78 years old and until last January I had never seen a drone close-up. Because I'm in the first stages of Parkinson's Disease my doctor suggested I find a hobby that would give me a lot of hand-and-eye coordination exercise. He gave me a list of things that he thought might help. Flying a drone was NOT one of them. It was one of my grandsons who suggested that I ask the doctor about it. The doctor was more than surprised, he was even excited about the idea. It turned out later that he was also a weekend drone pilot.

After hours of watching internet videos, I finally settled on an Autel EVO II 8K Rugged Bundle package, Looking back I can see now that I should have started with a simple kids' toy drone. However, if I had done that I would have missed out on meeting Alejandro Velasquez and his crew in EVO II Customer Service. Over the next couple of months, they spent a great deal of time just teaching me what the drone-related words in the operator's manual meant. I found that once you have some idea what the manual is talking about it becomes ten times easier to understand.

However, that's not the reason for writing this; One evening three weeks ago I went out to use my EVO II to check some cattle in a field behind our house. After a routine preflight check, I raised the drone to 400 feet. Much to my surprise, the controller's screen suddenly became blurry. A few seconds later the drone came crashing down, landing 8-10 feet from the spot it had taken off from. I was shocked and sick at what I saw! The impact left the drone in half a dozen pieces. Because I had never had a moment of mechanical problems with it I assumed that the wreck was a case of "Pilot Error", but I had no idea what I had done wrong.

This happened in the late afternoon so it was the next day before I got in contact with Customer Service. After a short description of what had taken place, I was e-mailed an accident report form and told to e-mail a copy of my proof of purchase. A day later I was sent (by e-mail) directions on how to ship the drone to Autel's Repair and Maintenance section for an examination of the drone and the flight log.

It was suggested that I ship it in the Rugged Bundle box to prevent further damage. That was a joke. The only way I could have done more damage was to have run over it with a truck.

A Personal Side Note:
I was sure that this was the point where Autel was going to tell me that the warranty did not cover the cause of the accident

To make this story a lot shorter, five days after I shipped the six pieces of what was left of the drone to Autel I received (by FedEx Priority Overnight Shipment) a brand new, EVO II and a short letter of apology.

There was no explanation of what had caused the drone to fall out of the sky, and I was still not sure that it had not been my fault so I called and Alejandro. I asked if there was something that I could have done that caused the accident. He told me that he would check with the people in R & M and see what they had found. Later that day I got a call from Evan Applegate saying that as near as the people in Maintenance could tell, some internal component had failed. He spent another five minutes apologizing for the delay and inconvenience. All I could think of was, " WHAT delay and inconvenience.".

I can't speak for anyone else but all of my dealings with Autel's Customer Service Dept and the Repair and Maintenance section have been incredible! The people are fantastically knowledgeable, courteous beyond belief and have the patients of a saint. Autel's staff has made dealing with the company an enjoyable and educational experience. I feel very lucky that I chose them over the larger and less expensive company.

Have any Autel Pilot readers had a similar problem? And how common is this?

I don't know where this should be listed but I'd like for all of Autel Pilots readers to know about my recent experience with Autel's Customer Service department and the Repair and Maintenance section.

I'm 78 years old and until last January I had never seen a drone close-up. Because I'm in the first stages of Parkinson's Disease my doctor suggested I find a hobby that would give me a lot of hand-and-eye coordination exercise. He gave me a list of things that he thought might help. Flying a drone was NOT one of them. It was one of my grandsons who suggested that I ask the doctor about it. The doctor was more than surprised, he was even excited about the idea. It turned out later that he was also a weekend drone pilot.

After hours of watching internet videos, I finally settled on an Autel EVO II 8K Rugged Bundle package, Looking back I can see now that I should have started with a simple kids' toy drone. However, if I had done that I would have missed out on meeting Alejandro Velasquez and his crew in EVO II Customer Service. Over the next couple of months, they spent a great deal of time just teaching me what the drone-related words in the operator's manual meant. I found that once you have some idea what the manual is talking about it becomes ten times easier to understand.

However, that's not the reason for writing this; One evening three weeks ago I went out to use my EVO II to check some cattle in a field behind our house. After a routine preflight check, I raised the drone to 400 feet. Much to my surprise, the controller's screen suddenly became blurry. A few seconds later the drone came crashing down, landing 8-10 feet from the spot it had taken off from. I was shocked and sick at what I saw! The impact left the drone in half a dozen pieces. Because I had never had a moment of mechanical problems with it I assumed that the wreck was a case of "Pilot Error", but I had no idea what I had done wrong.

This happened in the late afternoon so it was the next day before I got in contact with Customer Service. After a short description of what had taken place, I was e-mailed an accident report form and told to e-mail a copy of my proof of purchase. A day later I was sent (by e-mail) directions on how to ship the drone to Autel's Repair and Maintenance section for an examination of the drone and the flight log.

It was suggested that I ship it in the Rugged Bundle box to prevent further damage. That was a joke. The only way I could have done more damage was to have run over it with a truck.

A Personal Side Note: I was sure that this was the point where Autel was going to tell me that the warranty did not cover the cause of the accident

To make this story a lot shorter, five days after I shipped the six pieces of what was left of the drone to Autel I received (by FedEx Priority Overnight Shipment) a brand new, EVO II and a short letter of apology.

There was no explanation of what had caused the drone to fall out of the sky, and I was still not sure that it had not been my fault so I called and Alejandro. I asked if there was something that I could have done that caused the accident. He told me that he would check with the people in R & M and see what they had found. Later that day I got a call from Evan Applegate saying that as near as the people in Maintenance could tell, some internal component had failed. He spent another five minutes apologizing for the delay and inconvenience. All I could think of was, " WHAT delay and inconvenience.".

I can't speak for anyone else but all of my dealings with Autel's Customer Service Dept and the Repair and Maintenance section have been incredible! The people are fantastically knowledgeable, courteous beyond belief and have the patients of a saint. Autel's staff has made dealing with the company an enjoyable and educational experience. I feel very lucky that I chose them over the larger and less expensive company.

Hi Mac,

This is an interesting story. I'm sure your heart sunk when the drone fell out of the sky, but you must have been and still be elated to get the outstanding level of service that you did from Autel. Reading this makes me happy that I recently added an Evo II Pro to my many drones.

I get some therapeutic benefit as flying takes my mind off the pain I deal with from two back injuries I sustained (takes my mind off work as well); I had a great time whitewater river boarding and skiing and then I didn't (one doctor got a Maserati from surgery #1 and the other a Tesla from surgery #2) - flying is much more fun.

I'm glad you're back in the air. Enjoy your replacement in the best of health; I'm glad you got the level of support you did and thanks for sharing your experience.

Regards,
Marc

You're not alone. This happened to me, and this is when I learned that you have to always, always, always record the app screen:

Seconds after launch, my 8k dropped out of the air, and I heard the startup sound as if the software had the equivalent of a blue screen or kernel panic and rebooted itself mid-flight. Fortunately, my drone was only hovering a few feet up over a bouncy wooden boardwalk, and didn't take any damage beyond cosmetic. My logs showed a sudden loss of telemetry in the air and a sudden restoration on the ground.

I shipped my drone off to autel, on the basis that they needed to use their proprietary tools to pull the proprietary log files off of the drone itself. I was told they had nothing found, nothing to share and could not substantiate my report, which I find unlikely - it would be pretty bad for their reputation if such a serious glitch existed and could be triggered under unknown conditions.

I have had my drone back for many months now, did many hover tests with it before allowing it to move again, eventually building confidence back up to overwater flight. No issues. But it's always in the back of my mind that I have zero explanation for the failure or what to avoid to prevent it from happening. I love this drone, and want Autel to win in the marketplace, but we really do need this one explained and confirmation its fixed. Someone may get hurt, which no one wants and also hurts the entire community once it ends up in the news.

Needless to say, it (and me) are insured.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: mshmovie
I recently had mine drop out of the sky. Its currently in at the workshop for whatever they do at the workshop. Normally I do surf video so it could have been quite terminal but on this day I was over a rock on the beach. Thankfully the height was not great and other than a few scratches it did not sustain major damage. However, its the lack of confidence and I hope that whatever caused this can be found and fixed. I have to say that the response from Autel was swift and my favourite toy was on its way to the surgery very quickly.

A Personal Side Note: I was sure that this was the point where Autel was going to tell me that the warranty did not cover the cause of the accident

Evan has helped me. He’s very good.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy