Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Cape Cod, need help interpreting airspace

superflyguy

Reaction score
A friend asked me for a couple of drone jpegs of his garden from no more than 20'AGL. Prior to arriving, I checked the address on both my BOS TAC and NY Sectionals, and other than the R-4101 restricted zone and the Cape Cod CGAS (FMH,) I appeared to be safe to fly. When I got there, I consulted Airmap and even though I was not in the Delta, I was warned of the no fly status of the area by AIrmap. Being fairly new to this sport, I decided not to launch even though I did not intend to go much higher than 20' AGL. Better safe than break a law.

Can anyone shed light onto the nature of the exclusion of this yellow colored area that overlays the delta (but is not depicted on my paper aviation maps?) Alternatively, can you direct me to a source of definitive knowledge of what this yellow area signifies?

I was located on this map at the icon between "Sandwich" and the eastern end of the Cape Cod canal.

RIMG3072.JPGThank you for your help!

I have no idea what Airboss is and why or how they got that zone marked, but according to Airmap you do not need authorization to fly there. Here is a guide on what the colors mean.

Reactions: advexure
You can't fly at the beaches or near the airports (obviously) but I've flown in Hyannis and Yarmouth areas inland.

There's a wealth of information in that link you provided and I'm looking fwd to reading it.

There must be something important to have to create a yellow overlay, hence I balk. Yellow typically invokes caution and perhaps not prohibition, but until I can find a definitive answer I won't launch there. In the Airmap app, when i put in the address, I get an orange triangle with the Custom (1) Airboss advisory. I need to find out the implication of this proprietary usage of the term.

I've been to fly-ins where the air boss was the person on the ground who was in charge of directing airplane movement, parking, taxiing, etc.

FYI here's the Urban Dictionarys' definition of "air boss:" A Naval term used on the flight deck of an aircraft carrier. The air boss is in charge of all the operations of the flight deck from moving the planes around, landing aircraft, launching aircraft, ordinance handling, and the general safety of all the personnel on the flight deck. The Air boss sits in the tower and watches all that goes on and communicates with the flight deck via megaphone.

I'll report back when I get more information.

A friend asked me for a couple of drone jpegs of his garden from no more than 20'AGL. Prior to arriving, I checked the address on both my BOS TAC and NY Sectionals, and other than the R-4101 restricted zone and the Cape Cod CGAS (FMH,) I appeared to be safe to fly. When I got there, I consulted Airmap and even though I was not in the Delta, I was warned of the no fly status of the area by AIrmap. Being fairly new to this sport, I decided not to launch even though I did not intend to go much higher than 20' AGL. Better safe than break a law.

Can anyone shed light onto the nature of the exclusion of this yellow colored area that overlays the delta (but is not depicted on my paper aviation maps?) Alternatively, can you direct me to a source of definitive knowledge of what this yellow area signifies?

I was located on this map at the icon between "Sandwich" and the eastern end of the Cape Cod canal.

View attachment 7901Thank you for your help!

I am still new to this and do not have my part 107 that being said I use what I have studied so far when I go out lol. I use this site when I went to Block Island and will use it pretty much anywhere. I have the link saved to on my home screen just in case.
SkyVector: Flight Planning / Aeronautical Charts

1595419523082.png

I am wondering if the yellow is part of the Caution note in the middle of this image, pointing to what appears to be the area you were showing.

I am still new to this and do not have my part 107 that being said I use what I have studied so far when I go out lol. I use this site when I went to Block Island and will use it pretty much anywhere. I have the link saved to on my home screen just in case.
SkyVector: Flight Planning / Aeronautical Charts

View attachment 7904

I am wondering if the yellow is part of the Caution note in the middle of this image, pointing to what appears to be the area you were showing.

Are you referring to the USAF PAVE PAWS caution note? That note is referring to the R-4101 restricted area. The area I am wondering about is the stippled area (with the solid yellow outline) in the first picture in this thread. (Unrelatedly, the solid yellow areas on the map you posted are densely populated areas, their shape helps pilots identify them from altitude.)

I also use Skyvector when I am planning a flight, and have the paper charts as well (old school.)

Have you tried using the AIRMAP app? If you do, try putting in this address: 93 Route 6a Sandwich, Massachusetts. Once you do, you will see in better detail, the caution area about which I have the question.

I have since learned that when the orange triangle and "Airboss" comes up, one is required to submit a flight plan to Airboss, otherwise flight is prohibited. My next stop in this learning process is find out where to submit a request for permission. Stay tuned...

Are you referring to the USAF PAVE PAWS caution note? That note is referring to the R-4101 restricted area. The area I am wondering about is the stippled area (with the solid yellow outline) in the first picture in this thread. (Unrelatedly, the solid yellow areas on the map you posted are densely populated areas, their shape helps pilots identify them from altitude.)

I also use Skyvector when I am planning a flight, and have the paper charts as well (old school.)

Have you tried using the AIRMAP app? If you do, try putting in this address: 93 Route 6a Sandwich, Massachusetts. Once you do, you will see in better detail, the caution area about which I have the question.

I have since learned that when the orange triangle and "Airboss" comes up, one is required to submit a flight plan to Airboss, otherwise flight is prohibited. My next stop in this learning process is find out where to submit a request for permission. Stay tuned...

yes, I am referring to that note. I was wondering if you were in/near that area and was thinking maybe that's what the yellow was on your map you were inquiring about. Not the yellow portions on the chart.
I just took a look on airmap using your address and that is interesting! I don't have much knowledge, but would like to know when you find out.
Do the orange triangles (warnings) refer to the orange strip of land, AMA Field? I assume the red refer to the red portions on the map. So what does that yellow box refer to? I know that was your question, lol.

I do have airmap as well and I visit Block Island a lot. Block Island's airport doesn't have a circle around it using airmap. I used the skyvector find what type of airspace it was by looking at the color/line around it. I then saved it to my phone just in the event someone showed up I can say/show the airspace starts at 700' AGL and I was safe to fly up to 400'

I thought directing you to a map with much more data might help solve that issue.

When I tap the triangle, a submenu arises which then drops down to Airboss under the Advisories tab in the mobile app. (That's currently a dead end, hope to figure that out eventually.)

AMA fields are color coded (light) green on AIrMap. Typically they are small diameter (1-2 mile) circles. There's one that overlays Cape Cod Airport midway b/t Otis Air National Guard base and Barnstable Municipal. And interestingly, there's also one within the Otis Delta labelled Hatchville which is the AMA for the Otis Model Aircraft Club. You see it?

That yellow overlay is not found on any other airport in the area, but I did locate another similar one in the vicinity of First Flight airport (FFA) in North Carolina. Hmmm, perhaps this does have something to do w/ either flight operations or radar (Pave Paws.) I did check Minot AFB (MIB) in ND and Westover ARB/METRO (CEF) but neither have that yellow overlay. (There's no lack of activity there, but neither are o the coast...hence no specialized radar?)

I emailed the contact address of AirMap w/ this concern. Still hoping for answers, but I have several other sources which I will eventually consult if AirMap doesn't respond.

I'm sure you are aware that just b/c the airspace at some airports start at 700' AGL, there is a grave danger to landing and departing aircraft in the traffic pattern.

Based on this airspace classification chart, it appears to me that Block Island (BID) has protected airspace that begins at the surface. It is a Class G nontowered airport w/ instrument approaches. I am at a loss to explain why the AirMap app doesn't have an exclusionary zone around it. So it seems I have yet another question for those at a pay grade higher than mine.

Airspace Classification.png

TBC...

Reactions: House Forasken
Whatever the zone means it requires permission from the Airboss to fly there. I accessed this note from the web app version of the Airmap app. No login required. AirMap Web App

See the Advisories drop down at top right.
Well yes, DanielC, I accessed that advisory as well. Have you had any luck getting a phone number, web site, or other contact information for Airboss? I shirley haven't!

I received a reply from Marshall at AirMap Support.

I was informed that the yellow stippled area about which I was questioning the legality of drone flight was in fact an artifact which was supposed to have been removed. I was assured it was safe to fly there, and that the yellow area would eventually be removed.

Fly legally & safely!

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigmaxsg