Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Boat Mode EVO 2

Ok guys thanks guys .The first video is an Evo 1 and the other was used on land. The best one is when he took off from the deck of a boat. Then he took it out of boat mode .Got it. But , Is he manually flying or using dynamic tracking ?. And does he put the Evo 2 back into boat mode to land. Will the Evo 2 takeoff from your hand or land without being in boat mode . If you have to take off the boat mode after taking off especially from the deck why use it ? Please help guys I’m new to drones of this caliber and has anyone made Autel aware of this problem? May be in need of another firmware update.....

I cannot say if he used Dynamic Track on his video, but even if he didn't, it should still work fine. As for landing, you do NOT need boat mode. Just get the drone close to you and grab it underneath. Be careful of not putting your hand under the sensors.

As for disabling boat mode in the Evo II, I believe it's a model specific problem. The Evo 1 does not do the bowl effect mentioned in the video. It should be fixed in later firmwares.

I cannot say if he used Dynamic Track on his video, but even if he didn't, it should still work fine. As for landing, you do NOT need boat mode. Just get the drone close to you and grab it underneath. Be careful of not putting your hand under the sensors.

As for disabling boat mode in the Evo II, I believe it's a model specific problem. The Evo 1 does not do the bowl effect mentioned in the video. It should be fixed in later firmwares.

From videos I have seen do not people turn off those sensors? Not sure if that is even possible as I do not own the EVO series.

Ok I got it . But if I lose connection how do I make sure that it doesn’t go back to take off position and land in the water.

Sorry just cautious I saved over year for this drone and so far it has been awesome and absolutely the bomb

From videos I have seen do not people turn off those sensors? Not sure if that is even possible as I do not own the EVO series.
You can turn both OA and VPS sensors in the settings, but the bowl effect people complain about comes from the boat mode feature, whixh reduces the camera sensitivity. How or why that causes the bowl effect, it's anyone's guess.

Ok I got it . But if I lose connection how do I make sure that it doesn’t go back to take off position and land in the water.
If you lose signal with your drone, it will return to the location it took off. It does not have a dynamic Home Point. In other words, if you take off at the marina and travel 6 miles while the Evo is following you, it will return and land at the marina. Keep this in mind when flying over water.

Reactions: Nightbat2
You can turn both OA and VPS sensors in the settings, but the bowl effect people complain about comes from the boat mode feature, whixh reduces the camera sensitivity. How or why that causes the bowl effect, it's anyone's guess.

If you lose signal with your drone, it will return to the location it took off. It does not have a dynamic Home Point. In other words, if you take off at the marina and travel 6 miles while the Evo is following you, it will return and land at the marina. Keep this in mind when flying over water.
What if you set home point to ‘me’?

It will set the Home Point on the coordinates you are located at the time you set this feature. Once you move away, that location will remain as it's home point.
Just need to keep changing it as you go I guess? That's how I understood it to work.

Guess you can only do it once and set it to me when you are done flight.

Just need to keep changing it as you go I guess? That's how I understood it to work.
Yes, but here is the problem. When you change the home point, the app relies on the phone's GPS, which isn't a true GPS and it has a big error margin. You can try it, but I've heard stories of the phone giving the wrong coordinates and the drone going elsewhere.

The pilot will automatically blame the drone manufacturer, when in fact the phone is to blame. I wouldn't trust it.

Yes, but here is the problem. When you change the home point, the app relies on the phone's GPS, which isn't a true GPS and it has a big error margin. You can try it, but I've heard stories of the phone giving the wrong coordinates and the drone going elsewhere.

The pilot will automatically blame the drone manufacturer, when in fact the phone is to blame. I wouldn't trust it.
Very good point.

This has been big issue for me. I purchased this drone to be able to do dynamic tracking over water while my kids ski. The first time I took it out to the lake and had it take off in boat mode it went haywire, wouldn't respond to controls and dove in to the water. Thankfully I was able to retrieve it after 15 minutes of swimming/diving and Autel has it now. I will try it again when I get it back but will make sure to be filming the entire time...didn't activate the video before it crashed unfortunately.

Strange my iPad and i phone always place me within about 20 feet of my actual location.

I don't ever plan on having mine on the water (in / on a boat). They don't always return to home in the exact take off spot and boats in general aren't all that large unless it's an offshore boat. Even a 5 foot discrepancy can put it in the water... Not for me.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacqueslambert