Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Best Video Editor?

I've been editing video for quite a few years now. There is no 'Best Video Editor' as each editor seems to have their own qualities. Likewise, whether those qualities will serve you well, depend on your requirements; not only with video formats, frame rates (and many other variables) but also with their publishing capabilities (DVD, Blu-Ray, Stream, etc). Much of my video is taken underwater where we experience color changes (loss) for every FEW feet we go down. Not only must the camera be able to deal with such changes, but the video editing software must as well. Fortunately, nearly all the video editors that are available now are available on a Free Trial basis (say, for 30 days). That gives you a chance to see if it will meet your needs and likes. One thing I have experienced, that really irks me is that some of the manufacturers of Video Editing software REALLY beat down your door with advertising - for upgrades and other software. Corel (who has the nice Video Studio Plus) is amongst the worst. Having their software on my computer was almost like having a virus. Nearly every time I opened their software (and even my email), I'd be hit with advertising from them. When I purchase any software, it is not my intent to open an advertising door.
Try different software. See what happens and if you like it. And, before your 30 day trial ends, make a decision. What may have worked well for one person on this forum, may not work well for another person, and visa-versa. :)
Cheers & Beers.

I have been using Lightworks for about 4 years, it works on Windoze, Mac & Linux, comes in 2 flavours free & paid. All features are the same with the exception of export formats. The free version has it's exports limited to 720p I think. Compare Versions

As others have mentioned, Shotcut is a good choice. Also check out Hitfilm Express (HitFilm Express: Free editing & VFX software - fxhome.com). It became my go to editor after Adobe went to a subscription model that I couldn't afford, and I was impressed enough that I ended up purchasing the 'pro' version. Another would be DaVinci Resolve (DaVinci Resolve 15 | Blackmagic Design), but be aware that it requires an NVidia video card (download link at the bottom of the page).

If a person wants a very good video editor, that editor must be purchased. There are some decent free editors out there, but they have huge limitations when compared to any of the editors that can be purchased. I have been using Premier Pro in the past. But, like RBolman, I refuse to pay subscription fees. I also do not want to work from 'the cloud' as is required with Adobe's 'Creative Suite' software. Oftentimes, I am out on a ship (at sea) where there is no internet, so I must have high quality software that runs (without a subscription and without internet). I presently use Premier Pro CS6 (which does not require a subscription or internet). However, when it's time is up, that will be the end of Adobe for me.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sky3d