Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Battery Warm 1 week after charging

House Forasken

Reaction score
Hi,

I charged all 3 of my EVO II batteries last weekend (1 week ago). When they were done I put them each in a LiPo bag and put them in my Lowepro backpack. I grabbed my backpack this past Saturday to go fly and checked the charged status of my batteries. As soon as I opened the pocket the batteries were in, it was warm. I opened each of the LiPo bags and one of the batteries was warm to the touch.

I left that battery and when I checked on it later, it was cool. I did not notice any swelling, nor did I try to put it in my drone.

Should I be concerned? Is this "normal" as the batteries self discharge?

TIA!

What I am concerned about is the time period from when you charged them to when you went to use them. If it was a week in my opinion that is way to long to have Lipo batteries charge up to full state. I know they are suppose to be smart batteries but trust me they are not that smart and we as pilots need to manage them. Three days is pushing it in my opinion. What you experienced could have been the batteries self discharge working over time and making the battery warm.

Reactions: John Hennessy
What I am concerned about is the time period from when you charged them to when you went to use them. If it was a week in my opinion that is way to long to have Lipo batteries charge up to full state. I know they are suppose to be smart batteries but trust me they are not that smart and we as pilots need to manage them. Three days is pushing it in my opinion. What you experienced could have been the batteries self discharge working over time and making the battery warm.

Thanks!

I thought I read somewhere on here that 5-7 days was the "normal" discharging time. I haven't adjusted the discharge time on any of the batteries. One of them was (via the LED's) showed 3/4 the other two were 4/4. It seems odd to me that only one battery was warm.

I will look into changing the discharge rate from whatever they come with. How quickly should they begin discharging? 2-3 days?

Reactions: Jagerbomb52
I use 2 days but even 3 would be fine. I figure if the weather changes two days is long enough to figure out if I am going out flying or not. What would be nice if they provided a charger with a manual discharge setting.

Reactions: jcommstudios
Yes, two, three days is fine. It is better to top up a charge to get a 100% battery than to keep it charged too long.
Chemical reactions will quickly degrade a battery if it is kept charged for a long time.
Personally, I discharge a battery that has not been used the same evening, if I am sure I will not use it the next day.
The ISDT FD-100 puts the battery in storage in 20 minutes when returning, it is not binding.
Better to charge a battery more often than to want to keep it charged longer, it doesn't bad and makes the cells balance work.

Last edited:
Reactions: House Forasken
Yes, two, three days is fine. It is better to top up a charge to get a 100% battery than to keep it charged too long.
Chemical reactions will quickly degrade a battery if it is kept charged for a long time.
Personally, I discharge a battery that has not been used the same evening, if I am sure I will not use it the next day.
The ISDT FD-100 puts the battery in storage in 20 minutes when returning, it is not binding.
Better to charge a battery more often than to want to keep it charged longer, it doesn't bad and makes the cells balance work.
Curious where you found an XT-60 compatible connector for the Autel battery.

Nothing's easier,
Charge Cable for Mavic 1 with banana plug.
Cable mavic1.JPG
Homemade socket to connect to the ISDT.
I did not want to solder the XT-60 directly to the cable because it is also useful for other batteries.
Crea_0089.jpg

Reactions: rbolman
I use 2 days but even 3 would be fine. I figure if the weather changes two days is long enough to figure out if I am going out flying or not. What would be nice if they provided a charger with a manual discharge setting.
Could you please expand on battery discharging and proper maintenance. You use 2 or 3 days. vs. 10 days. What's the difference besides the obvious amount of days. If you discharge your batteries flying say down to 20%, wouldn't that be the same or does the auto-discharge fully discharge the battery. I am surely new to Lipos. At 200.00 a pop for a battery, I want to take the best care I can. Even if you could refer me to a good reading about Lipos. Thanks

Could you please expand on battery discharging and proper maintenance. You use 2 or 3 days. vs. 10 days. What's the difference besides the obvious amount of days. If you discharge your batteries flying say down to 20%, wouldn't that be the same or does the auto-discharge fully discharge the battery. I am surely new to Lipos. At 200.00 a pop for a battery, I want to take the best care I can. Even if you could refer me to a good reading about Lipos. Thanks
I am beginning to get the answers by doing some research on LIPO's on the internet. What Voltage does the auto discharge leave the EVO 2 batteries at?

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aerugo