Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Battery question

gasquetmike

Reaction score
2 questions if I were to fly for 10 minutes and run my battery down to say 70% and I need to fly the next day can I charge th
e battery from that point or do I need to run the battery down more? Second question if I store my Evo in
it's hard case with its extra batteries and the batteries discharge at the Six-Day point will they cause any problems,like heat?

2 questions

if I were to fly for 10 minutes and run my battery down to say 70% and I need to fly the next day can I charge the battery from that point or do I need to run the battery down more?

I always top my batteries off. I have read somewhere, if you take off with less than 100% and something goes wrong in-flight -- you are on your own. Battery temperature/outdoor temperature, cycle count, etc all affect endurance and actual run-time and the percentages become questionable depending on extremes like hot or cold. -- YMMV!

If you want to run the batteries down more before charging, start the motors and let them run until they time-out a few times and let the cooling fans run. I only recommend hovering a drone IF outdoors -- this would be best if trying to drain the battery. You'll find out quickly that starting the motors over and over isn't fun and something you probably should not be doing more than a few times anyway.

Second question if I store my Evo in it's hard case with its extra batteries and the batteries discharge at the Six-Day point will they cause any problems,like heat?

Simple answer - no.

If the battery is "heating" during storage/discharge related to storage -- I would be worried. Otherwise a warm battery during use and charging should be the only "heat" you should encounter.

edit to include battery temp, with a drain from EVO being on in a 68 degree room. I don't think I have actually grabbed this battery and thought anything about "heat".3697

Last edited:
if I were to fly for 10 minutes and run my battery down to say 70% and I need to fly the next day can I charge the battery from that point or do I need to run the battery down more?

I always top my batteries off. I have read somewhere, if you take off with less than 100% and something goes wrong in-flight -- you are on your own. Battery temperature/outdoor temperature, cycle count, etc all affect endurance and actual run-time and the percentages become questionable depending on extremes like hot or cold. -- YMMV!

If you want to run the batteries down more before charging, start the motors and let them run until they time-out a few times and let the cooling fans run. I only recommend hovering a drone IF outdoors -- this would be best if trying to drain the battery. You'll find out quickly that starting the motors over and over isn't fun and something you probably should not be doing more than a few times anyway.

Second question if I store my Evo in it's hard case with its extra batteries and the batteries discharge at the Six-Day point will they cause any problems,like heat?

Simple answer - no.

If the battery is "heating" during storage/discharge related to storage -- I would be worried. Otherwise a warm battery during use and charging should be the only "heat" you should encounter.

edit to include battery temp, with a drain from EVO being on in a 68 degree room. I don't think I have actually grabbed this battery and thought anything about "heat".View attachment 3697
Thanks!

2 questions if I were to fly for 10 minutes and run my battery down to say 70% and I need to fly the next day can I charge th
e battery from that point or do I need to run the battery down more? Second question if I store my Evo in
it's hard case with its extra batteries and the batteries discharge at the Six-Day point will they cause any problems,like heat?
1. Yes, you can charge them from 70 to full. What is recommended is that every 3 months or 10 flights that you discharge them completely to fully cycle them (this means less than 20%) for maintenance.

2. They do produce some heat, but not to the point of damaging anything. They will be warm to the touch. I have mine set to discharge at 2 days and I still haven't melted anything.

Hope it helps.

Reactions: gasquetmike
I suggest reading the manual at least once

Battery Safety
A lithium-polymer battery powers the aircraft. The misuse of Li-Po/Li-Ion batteries can be hazardous. As such, make sure to follow all the battery usage, charging and storage instructions below.
WARNING

The battery is factory-replaceable only. Do not tamper with either the battery pack or its charger, or replace them with third-party devices.

Battery electrolytes are highly corrosive. If any electrolyte is splashed onto your skin or in your eyes, immediately wash the affected area with fresh running water and consult a doctor.
Battery Usage
Always remember to turn off the aircraft before installing or removing the battery. Other notes:

Only use the battery and charger provided by Autel Robotics. An unapproved battery or charger may result in fire, explosion, leakage or other hazards. Autel Robotics takes no responsibility for any damage caused by the third party batteries or charging devices

When not in use, remove the battery from the aircraft to prevent trickle discharge

Keep the battery stored in a safe, dry, warm environment

Do not disassemble, open, crush, bend, deform, puncture, or shred the battery

Do not modify, remanufacture, or attempt to insert foreign objects into the battery

Do not place heavy objects on the battery or charger

Stop using or charging the battery immediately if it starts to swell, smoke or leak

Use the battery at temperatures between -10°C and 40°C. Extremely high temperatures may cause a fire or explosive damage; extremely low temperatures may lead to permanent battery damage

Before flying in a low-temperature environment (between -10°C and 15°C), fully charge the battery in warmer temperatures, or insert it into EVO and hover the aircraft at an altitude of 1m until the battery warms up to 15°C or higher. The battery temperature can be monitored using the mobile app

Do not use the battery in strong electrostatic or electromagnetic environments

Do not expose the battery to fire, explosions, or other hazards

The heavier the aircraft loads, the shorter the fl ight time
If the aircraft falls into the water, remove the battery immediately after you retrieve it. Leave the battery in an open area and maintain a safe distance until it is completely dry. Don’t use the battery again. Contact our customer support team for a replacement.
Battery Charging
It should take a maximum of 80 minutes to fully charge the EVO battery, though charging times will vary according to the remaining battery level. Other battery charging notes and words of caution:

Do not use a damaged battery charger

When the charger is not in use, we recommend disconnecting it

Do not charge the battery immediately after flight, as overheat protection will prevent the battery from being charged before it cools completely

Overcharging may shorten battery life, so don’t leave the battery unattended during charging, and remove it after it’s fully charged
We strongly recommend that you go through a charge cycle — wherein you charge the battery to 100% and then discharge it to 7% or lower — every three months, or after the battery has been used for 20 consecutive charges.
Battery Storage
In storage as in flight, it’s important not to allow the battery to come in close contact with moisture or heat sources. Store the battery in a dry and ventilated area at room temperature (ideally 22°C to 28°C).
Other storage notes:

Keep the battery out of reach of children and pets

Do not place the battery next to sharp items, or on a conductive surface (e.g., metal plate)

Do not put the battery in the wet grass or pocket with metal objects

Make sure the battery voltage level does not fall below 3V during storage

Using or storing the battery in extreme environments may reduce overall battery life

Because battery life inevitably shortens over time, the life of your battery may be reduced if it is left unused over an extended period
Battery Disposal

Completely discharge the battery before disposal

Dispose of the battery properly at an approved battery recycling location

I keep my batteries stored by themselves in a cool item I bought called a "Bat Safe". BAT-SAFE » Safe lithium battery handling This box is well worth the price IMO. It's designed to harness and mitigate the damage that may occur if your batteries catch fire. It's a bad agent! I NEVER store my batteries any where else, as the threat of fire from Lion Batteries is legit. Not worth burning down your house. I strongly suggest at least storing them in fire proof Battery bags.

Last edited:
What about storing them inside the freezer?

Not a good idea

Use the battery at temperatures between -10°C and 40°C. Extremely high temperatures may cause a fire or explosive damage; extremely low temperatures may lead to permanent battery damage

Some of the old timers on RCgroup forums used to put lipos in the fridge. They said it slowed down the chemical reaction that destroys lipo batteries but it was never proven and it was a 50\50 split if it helped. Now with smart batteries one should just follow the manufacturers recommendations.

I have taken off with less than 100% percent and lost my Evo which I posted on here back in January. I had 3 full lights and the fourth flashing so thought it was OK to take off again but apparently it wasn't. It was out at some distance and already returning home when the battery level dropped from 48%to 14% in a matter of seconds and then I lost all connections. I waited hoping to see it coming home but it never happened and I never found it . I contacted Autel and they said that taking off even when just below 100% could cause the battery to fail unexpectedly. I was shocked when after a couple of weeks Autel said they would replace it and sent me a brand new one. I now never take off unless they are topped off and do a check of the battery levels .

I have taken off with less than 100% percent and lost my Evo which I posted on here back in January. I had 3 full lights and the fourth flashing so thought it was OK to take off again but apparently it wasn't. It was out at some distance and already returning home when the battery level dropped from 48%to 14% in a matter of seconds and then I lost all connections. I waited hoping to see it coming home but it never happened and I never found it . I contacted Autel and they said that taking off even when just below 100% could cause the battery to fail unexpectedly. I was shocked when after a couple of weeks Autel said they would replace it and sent me a brand new one. I now never take off unless they are topped off and do a check of the battery levels .

I spoke to Autel about this as well and was told to always try to keep your batteries topped off. That brings up another question. Let's assume that I fly for 8 minutes on a fully charged battery. At the end of the flight, the battery is down to 70%. Would topping it off be considered a charge cycle even though your not going from a depleted battery to 100%?

In regards to the issue of the battery dropping from 48% to 14%, that's disconcerting. I also asked Autel if there was a magic number. In other words, if a battery is below 50%, do not fly and fully charge the battery. They couldn't give me a definitive answer but instead repeated the same thing... "I recommend fully charging your batteries before you take off". That's great but would flying with a battery with 87% cause a problem? I don't think we're going to get a definitive answer on this one. More of a... CYA response. Checking the voltage on each of the 3 cells prior to take off is always on my pre-flight checklist.

I agree .....I didn't understand the reason but said OK . At first they were not going to warranty it as the tech said I took off without it being fully charged so it was my screw up After a couple of weeks they did decide to warranty it which I am grateful for.
The other day I just had put the Evo up in there air when I had visitors come over so I landed it. After they left I started it back up and it was like at 95% and I started to fly but thought not a good idea. I put in a fresh battery as I am gun-shy now about doing that.

I spoke to Autel about this as well and was told to always try to keep your batteries topped off. That brings up another question. Let's assume that I fly for 8 minutes on a fully charged battery. At the end of the flight, the battery is down to 70%. Would topping it off be considered a charge cycle even though your not going from a depleted battery to 100%?

In regards to the issue of the battery dropping from 48% to 14%, that's disconcerting. I also asked Autel if there was a magic number. In other words, if a battery is below 50%, do not fly and fully charge the battery. They couldn't give me a definitive answer but instead repeated the same thing... "I recommend fully charging your batteries before you take off". That's great but would flying with a battery with 87% cause a problem? I don't think we're going to get a definitive answer on this one. More of a... CYA response. Checking the voltage on each of the 3 cells prior to take off is always on my pre-flight checklist.

I always look at the voltages too! It is the design/chemistry of the batteries and knowledge that all cells must be within tolerance of each other or it will fail.
Sometimes the failure can be a downed EVO, or other times it could be a battery spontaneously catch fire.

I agree .....I didn't understand the reason but said OK . At first they were not going to warranty it as the tech said I took off without it being fully charged so it was my screw up After a couple of weeks they did decide to warranty it which I am grateful for.
The other day I just had put the Evo up in there air when I had visitors come over so I landed it. After they left I started it back up and it was like at 95% and I started to fly but thought not a good idea. I put in a fresh battery as I am gun-shy now about doing that.

Landing and take-off during the same battery cycle should be OK, as not much has changed to the battery chemistry or environment since you landed. I would always check the cell voltages before taking off initially and between landing/take-off -- Assuming you do not land and leave it set for hours before beginning to take off again -- in this case top the battery off or put a new one on.

The original question here is pertaining to flying on a battery over a two day (or let's say several day) period -- without a charge -- based on it saying it should have enough charge available to keep going.

This is where the "storage effect" comes into play due to the battery's chemistry, age/health and environmental factors like -- did you leave it in the trunk of your car overnight and the temperature outside dipped below freezing (electrolytes frozen/electrons unable to move freely through the battery) -- kinds of factors...

Any of these factors usually dictate that battery "may" be good at the moment it just discharged to that level, and be accurate -- but once it is no longer being discharged and setting idle -- it all becomes trivial -- as there is really no good answer here anyone can give.

Even if you just discharged the battery and use again right away -- you have to still keep in mind something as simple as a cold day vs. a hot day will effect the overall run-time, as would something as trivial as wind gusts causing it to use more power...who can control the wind? lol

Remember Ni-Cd batteries use to develop "memories" and after so many cycles and environmental factors -- and the battery would eventually never recharge fully, because it was not completely discharging due to buildup on the battery plates overtime. These batteries would get run down to usually between 40 - 50% and then die.

Different battery chemistry, different mechanisms -- but still same "unknown" performance from the technology we all love and call "batteries". lol

I realize the last post was a few months ago but I think one of the reasons why they insist you fully charge it is to make sure the voltages are "real". What I mean by that is batteries tend to recover pretty quickly and after resting your battery that said 20% suddenly shows a voltage much higher and appears to have 70% charge (or whatever) but actually starting up will drastically drop voltage potentially leading to a crash. I've seen this happen while testing out Yuneec breezes that I repaired and experimenting with other batteries and lifting capacities. I'll be sticking with Autels recommendations for my Evo. Not interested in taking chances with it.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coastaldrone