Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Battery life in the EVO

rkyleh

Reaction score
I am wondering how you guys with the EVO are doing on battery life. I bought mine with 4 battery's and have charged them 30 times. A few with a little over 30 and a few with a little under. I showed up with one bad battery. Looking at the battery in the app it still looks good. The cells are real close so it doesn't show anything obvious. If I load it in the EVO it looks fine while I set up but the minute I start too fly I get a bad battery warning on the screen and the EVO starts to return to home. I have to hold down on the throttle and cancel the return to home to get it on the ground. I did notice it didn't discharge when it was supposed to. Maybe my smart battery ain't so smart any more. I changed the discharge time and tried it once more same results. I am wondering in real life how long should I expect one of these things to last? Also I do discharge them once a month or so.

when you discharge them, did the battery hit 0%?

No I always stopped at 2 or 3 percent.
OK, I had never let the battery discharge on mine. The lowest that I let the batteries sit is at 15%. Discharging the battery below 10% can be unhealthy for the type of batteries they use in drones which are LIPOS. Don't know if this is the case here.

Reactions: Buster McCray
OK, I had never let the battery discharge on mine. The lowest that I let the batteries sit is at 15%. Discharging the battery below 10% can be unhealthy for the type of batteries they use in drones which are LIPOS. Don't know if this is the case here.
Have you ever measured the voltage across the mains at 10%? I would be interested in seeing some readings. Autel has never allowed any of their batteries from the X-Star to fall below the danger zone of each cell. The firmware shut it down before then. We did a paper on this with Autels tech and they said it will never drop to a level where damage to the battery would happen. Maybe things have changed with the EVO. You have any back up of your statements?

If you want to read up on how smart batteries work and yes they have improved but still work the same give this a read over. This was produced by a joint venture with Autel. They signed off on it as fact.

Attachments

• Heaths_Battery_Advice.pdf
    462.1 KB · Views: 47
Maybe I misspoke this is what I do
My recommendation is to periodically bring the quad in close when it approaches warning percentage to stop RTH from kicking in, then before critical percentage, bring it low, perhaps 5 feet off the ground. When it reaches critical, hold the stick up to keep the quad aloft until perhaps 5%, then let it land. It will force land around 3% no matter what.

Reactions: Jagerbomb52
Maybe I misspoke this is what I do
My recommendation is to periodically bring the quad in close when it approaches warning percentage to stop RTH from kicking in, then before critical percentage, bring it low, perhaps 5 feet off the ground. When it reaches critical, hold the stick up to keep the quad aloft until perhaps 5%, then let it land. It will force land around 3% no matter what.

On the facebook page for Autel many people have had early battery failures with the EVO. Seems they never improved from the X-Star days. Get them replaced if under warranty if it still has it.

I've had 2 battery "failures". It is fairly common. If you look at the battery tab in the Explorer app you can see the discrepancies of the cells where 1 many be less than the other 2 and not giving you a constant "Total Voltage" reading which is necessary to safely power the drone.
Autel will replace them if you are under warranty. With one ticket they had me set the discharge to 10 days and recharge on day 11 to see if it would recover. It did not. The other one they just sent me a replacement.
After becoming curious I was able to charge the 2nd one and set it to a 2 day discharge and was able to recover it and can fly with it with no problems. Ahh the mystery of LIPO's ...lol

Reactions: HiloHawaiian
I've had 2 battery "failures". It is fairly common. If you look at the battery tab in the Explorer app you can see the discrepancies of the cells where 1 many be less than the other 2 and not giving you a constant "Total Voltage" reading which is necessary to safely power the drone.
Autel will replace them if you are under warranty. With one ticket they had me set the discharge to 10 days and recharge on day 11 to see if it would recover. It did not. The other one they just sent me a replacement.
After becoming curious I was able to charge the 2nd one and set it to a 2 day discharge and was able to recover it and can fly with it with no problems. Ahh the mystery of LIPO's ...lol
I had my battery in the drone earlier checking the volts. It showed I had a bad battery in big red letters. After reading your post I put it on the charger and held the power button for 12 seconds and set the discharge for 2 days and charged it up. I just now put it in the EVO and fired it up and I do not have a bad battery warning. It is to cold to go fly but the first warm day I am going to try it again.

Reactions: jcommstudios
I am on my 3rd battery failure. Two of them were replaced while under warranty but this last one was to far out of warranty. I got a Bad Battery warning so I sent screen shots to Autel of warning and serial number. This last battery had been charged 29 times when it failed.This time all they would do was give me 10 percent off.
I have one more battery that shows full but once up for around a minute RTH kicks saying there is not enough power to get back home. Autel told me to discharge by hovering and to go no lower that 7 percent and it should reset the battery . I did this and it worked twice ok but now has went back to giving the RTH message after a minute or so. Basically this will be the 4th failure and I am getting weary about going out very far which is how I lost my first EVO as it landed somewhere in the woods after a battery failure. If needed for long flights I use the Mavic 2 as I have had no issues so far. I have my order in for the EVO 2 and I hope this battery issue has been corrected.

Well, Boys and Girls, I live in England and bought an Autel EVO 1 when they first came out, I also bought 4 spare batteries at the same time, now they have had just under 50 charges and one has had under 30 charges and are all showing out of balance when viewed on the App and when I try to fly with them the give me a BAD BATTERY WARNING, on contacting AUTEL on this matter I was advised to do the Push the button for the 12 seconds and then charge again, this has not worked and I have 5 batteries that are now BAD, they have told me that as I am in ENGLAND they cannot give me any assistance as they do not support oversea customers.

My first battery failure I was 2 months past warranty and Autel replaced it n/c. I have noticed that you have to monitor this batteries constantly it seems the discharge cycle does not stop at any point, DJIs system holds at 50% for a good amount of time, a month or so, and then it slowlytrickles discharge, Antel's jus go down to 1 light within a couple of weeks maybe a month not holding at 50%, I believe that's how I lost the first battery, I didn't monitor it for over a month and it was probably below 5% or less when I recharged it.

Wow, I bet those batteries were HOT Big Oops!
No the battery was not hot.
This is from Heath's battery advise as posted by Agustine.
My recommendation is to periodically bring the quad in close when it approaches warning percentage to stop RTH from kicking in, then before critical percentage, bring it low, perhaps 5 feet off the ground. When it reaches critical, hold the stick up to keep the quad aloft until perhaps 5%, then let it land. It will force land around 3% no matter what. This means on next charge, the count will be high, helping to recover the total mAh capacity count. The firmware will not allow you to discharge the battery anywhere near the damage threshold, which I'll explain further below
Concerns have been brought up about over-discharge. Autel has followed basic LiPo guidelines with their low(around 3.65v/cell) and critical(around 3.4v/cell) points, and even with the absolute battery shutdown that happens at the low threshold(At 10.8v or 2.7v/cell). The quad itself and the battery will not let you over discharge a battery that is in good condition, balance-wise

I do this also with my Anafi batteries. The safe guard to land before damage voltage is built into these smart batteries. I just cycled one of my oldest Anafi batteries this way and checked the total voltage of the 2 cell battery. The total pack was at 7.15Volts Each cell was 3.5 75 Volts. Well above the danger zone of 3.0 Volts.

One of the things I have found from companies trying to write a manual in English is they make mistakes.

• Never store a battery that is fully discharged.
  • Charge your battery fully when using it for the first time.
  • Do not charge a battery that is still warm.
  • Recharge the battery after each use – within 20 minutes.
  • Always carry your battery in a bag with fire protection.
  • Always respect the charging time indicated in the instructions.
  • Never use a swollen or damaged battery.
Who the heck came up with that rule ??? This is for the Parrot Anafi. The guy must have been drinking some good French wine.

I do this also with my Anafi batteries. The safe guard to land before damage voltage is built into these smart batteries. I just cycled one of my oldest Anafi batteries this way and checked the total voltage of the 2 cell battery. The total pack was at 7.15Volts Each cell was 3.5 75 Volts. Well above the danger zone of 3.0 Volts.

One of the things I have found from companies trying to write a manual in English is they make mistakes.

• Never store a battery that is fully discharged.
  • Charge your battery fully when using it for the first time.
  • Do not charge a battery that is still warm.
  • Recharge the battery after each use – within 20 minutes.
  • Always carry your battery in a bag with fire protection.
  • Always respect the charging time indicated in the instructions.
  • Never use a swollen or damaged battery.
Who the heck came up with that rule ??? This is for the Parrot Anafi. The guy must have been drinking some good French wine.
Don'y you mean BAD French wine? He mustache been hallucinating

• Haha
Reactions: Jagerbomb52
No the battery was not hot.
This is from Heath's battery advise as posted by Agustine.
My recommendation is to periodically bring the quad in close when it approaches warning percentage to stop RTH from kicking in, then before critical percentage, bring it low, perhaps 5 feet off the ground. When it reaches critical, hold the stick up to keep the quad aloft until perhaps 5%, then let it land. It will force land around 3% no matter what. This means on next charge, the count will be high, helping to recover the total mAh capacity count. The firmware will not allow you to discharge the battery anywhere near the damage threshold, which I'll explain further below
Concerns have been brought up about over-discharge. Autel has followed basic LiPo guidelines with their low(around 3.65v/cell) and critical(around 3.4v/cell) points, and even with the absolute battery shutdown that happens at the low threshold(At 10.8v or 2.7v/cell). The quad itself and the battery will not let you over discharge a battery that is in good condition, balance-wise
Well, goes to show ya I had NO Clue. I'm new with this Evo. I have 3 batteries which I have flown Once on each Battery . I have the Aircraft battery set at "Low Battery Warning 20% and 10% Critically Low . This is correct to keep it at right?
Thanks

Well, goes to show ya I had NO Clue. I'm new with this Evo. I have 3 batteries which I have flown Once on each Battery . I have the Aircraft battery set at "Low Battery Warning 20% and 10% Critically Low . This is correct to keep it at right?
Thanks

Your doing good with that setting.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacqueslambert