Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

BAD XSP Battery wanted - dead batteries wanted

chris.jackson

Reaction score
I want dead, no good, non-functional, will not charge, no good to you, X-Star batteries to experiment with.

I have a background in automation, robitics and industrial maintenance and want to tear a few batteries apart and do some testing. As they are glued together and not intended to be serviced, I will probably destroy a few housings getting them open and possibly destroy electronics experimenting with different batteries. I will need parts to assemble prototypes to test.

I plan to remove a battery from the housing, desolder the connections to remove the circuit boards, and disect it to see what its made of. I'm hoping it has several individual cells that can be replaced because when you view the battery info on the Starlink app, it shows 4 cells.

My goal is to find, or assemble, a replacemant battery that will fit into the Autel battery housing. If not inside, possibly a 2 battery modification to be mounted externally on the drone, which will need lots of testing to ensure CG and stable flight. Either way, I want to get ahead of a future with no available batteries and a perfectly operational drone.

If anyone has any dead, no good to you anyway, batteries they would donate to the cause, I would love to have them.

If I do happen to find a solution, I will share the results of my tests with pics. I'll list battery types, part numbers and vendors info.

Also, anyone who has a crashed X-Star or X-Star Premium body/shell to donate would be great also because I plan to experiment with 2 external batteries, which will require modification of the shell - and I don't want to cut on mine until I need to. If you had to replace the body/shell and have the damaged one laying around, that's what I'm looking for. Color doesn't matter.

If you have questions or want to discuss ideas, call me. 77O-63O-two zero 9 eight.

Thanks,
Chris

Last edited:
Reactions: KentA
Sounds like a big job. Aren’t those smart batteries, which would entail the connection of a circuit board? I’d like to find a way to upgrade one to see a 6-7,000 mAh battery. That should make a bird fly 30-35 Min w/o too much extra weight. Seems DJI is doing something like that with the mavic 2; they have a commercial version with more lifting power and a longer flight time.

I have a non-functioning battery you can have! Where should I send it?

I want dead, no good, non-functional, will not charge, no good to you, X-Star batteries to experiment with.

I have a background in automation, robitics and industrial maintenance and want to tear a few batteries apart and do some testing. As they are glued together and not intended to be serviced, I will probably destroy a few housings getting them open and possibly destroy electronics experimenting with different batteries. I will need parts to assemble prototypes to test.

I plan to remove a battery from the housing, desolder the connections to remove the circuit boards, and disect it to see what its made of. I'm hoping it has several individual cells that can be replaced because when you view the battery info on the Starlink app, it shows 4 cells.

My goal is to find, or assemble, a replacemant battery that will fit into the Autel battery housing. If not inside, possibly a 2 battery modification to be mounted externally on the drone, which will need lots of testing to ensure CG and stable flight. Either way, I want to get ahead of a future with no available batteries and a perfectly operational drone.

If anyone has any dead, no good to you anyway, batteries they would donate to the cause, I would love to have them.

If I do happen to find a solution, I will share the results of my tests with pics. I'll list battery types, part numbers and vendors info.

Also, anyone who has a crashed X-Star or X-Star Premium body/shell to donate would be great also because I plan to experiment with 2 external batteries, which will require modification of the shell - and I don't want to cut on mine until I need to. If you had to replace the body/shell and have the damaged one laying around, that's what I'm looking for. Color doesn't matter.

If you have questions or want to discuss ideas, call me. 77O-63O-two zero 9 eight.

Thanks,
Chris

Use 18650 battery. Thinking of that I looked at 12 18650, would fit in the bay. but a little overhang. But if that worked... would be one hell of a battery

Use 18650 battery. Thinking of that I looked at 12 18650, would fit in the bay. but a little overhang. But if that worked... would be one hell of a battery

That exact battery was what I was going to experiment with....because I have several already lol. And a charger.

I saw a 12 pack of them for $29.99 on Amazon Prime. These are rated at 3.7V 3000mAh. So 4 of them would be 14.8V, 12000 mAh...... 4 will easily fit.

I'm waiting for a donor battery to arrive to start the show.

2018-08-17 09.48.44.jpg
2018-08-17 09.49.12.jpg

Last edited:
That exact battery was what I was going to experiment with....because I have several already lol. And a charger.

I saw a 12 pack of them for $29.99 on Amazon Prime. These are rated at 3.7V 3000mAh. So 4 of them would be 14.8V, 12000 mAh...... 4 will easily fit.

I'm waiting for a donor battery to arrive to start the show.

View attachment 2586
View attachment 2587
If you don't hear anything. willing to pay from Thailand? Have one I opened a while back. But think of the power and time increases with 4c 12

I have 6 dead ones. If you Pay shipping I will send them. I am in New Mexico. Send me a PM.

If you don't hear anything. willing to pay from Thailand? Have one I opened a while back. But think of the power and time increases with 4c 12

It will probably cost more to ship from there than to buy a $99 new battery, but I may be wrong. Never shipped outside the US.

I've been looking and most I've seen are more than the new battery fron Autel.

I just spoke to a gentleman who has 6 bad batteries and that should be enough for my tests. I'll take pics and post my findings on the forum.

Thank you for your offer,
Chris

ok. But the chip is small and light. I took it off the top. But I would like to know shat you come up with

The 2 circuit boards? I do need those, but will need the complete smart battery housing, less the internal battery. Even if I can't find a battery to fit in the original housing, it's still required to turn the drone on and off. As soon as I get one to play with, I'll post a pic of what I need to eliminate any question.
I plan to post pics and info as I go.

Last edited:
Reactions: KunBow
I'm guessing the actual batteries inside are 4 x 18650's.

Nah, I took a bad one apart before dropping it off at a disposal site and it had 4 flatpack cells.

Thanks,
Chris
Are you still trying to work on the battery? I have powered my spare with 26650. That gives me 10,000mah with 4s 2p. But because of the chip, can't get it to run. have family coming to Wa. they can bring back the top of one. if you are still here??

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials