Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Autelpilots Wiki idea

Andrew01

Reaction score
I had a thought and wanted to get some feedback on feasibility. I'm just thinking aloud here, and it's late, so bear with me for a min.

This community's value cannot be overstated. The knowledge we've gained through both interactions with Autel, each other, and trial and error are invaluable. But sometimes, finding specific bits of that knowledge is still pretty hard. Just the other day, I forgot what the ROI feature was for as it appeared to do nothing. My mind immediately thinks "return on investment" which of course makes no sense. So I wasted more time than necessary to find it and figure it out across here, YouTube, and other places. As another example, options in explorer not sticking is a common issue. What was the fix for that specific option again...? Or the sort of secret trick to bind two controllers? HDR VS HDR+Log VS Log VS NONE at night, what does that look like and what are the compromises?

I know some good answers to these things, and others do too. But it's a lot of tribal knowledge from research and trial and error, and other people could benefit from what's collectively in all of our heads given a structured place to collect these things into a "real manual" instead of finding the specific bit they need 17 minutes into a 30 minute YouTube clip that's mostly talking. I have knowledge that I don't know the right place to put so others can find it when they need it, and I'm willing to bet I'm not the only one.

What I'm getting at, is there's really not an ideal "single source of truth" we can go to for answers on everything explorer, or the drone(s) , what features do and don't do, due to bugs or (insert reasons here). As the number of new pilots increases with the launch of four new drones, it would be great to have a place to point them when we've already figured out things and what the quirks of each feature and option are.

One solution could be a companion wiki, serving as a community manual with pages on things like proper maintenance, explorer and autel sky, proper calibration, what each explorer option really does bugs or otherwise (with images)... The potential list goes on. I've hosted MediaWiki before (aka the software Wikipedia runs on) and would be willing to help construct such a place if others found value in it.

That might also end up helping Autel help us. If we had a list of known issues anyone could edit, linking back to forum discussions, that could make problems and software quirks more discoverable by providing an easy place to check. Our own experiences with each feature could inform them on how we're really using the tools vs how they were implented.

However, one anti-goal of such a project would be driving traffic away from the forums inadvertently. We'd want to enhance the value of the community, and not detract. So it would need to be approached with a good plan and strong community support.

So I'm just throwing this out there - what are your thoughts? Good idea, bad idea, or any other similar ideas you'd propose?

(I wrote all this out on my phone, sorry in advance if autocorrect messed any of it up)

Last edited:
Maybe its a good idea. The problem here is that many who know the answer to a problem or have a fair idea, don't bother to contribute
Look at how many inquiring posts have just one poster.
I have a problem uploading any mission and posted the question. Zero replies. I belong to a motorcycle forum. Anytime someone posts a question he gets a few i suggestions in less than a day

I would hope with new drones, will bring more contributors.

First time drone pilot, waiting anxiously for delivery.

I would say the Forum, (here) could use some sub-forums

Example: from settings /app

Flight Characteristics
  • Safety
  • Control
  • Camera
    • Quickshot
    • Portrait
    • Photo
    • Video
    • Hyperlapse
    • Pano
    • Night
    • Pro
  • Image Transmission
The forum admin would need to add sections as needed.

I had a thought and wanted to get some feedback on feasibility. I'm just thinking aloud here, and it's late, so bear with me for a min.

This community's value cannot be overstated. The knowledge we've gained through both interactions with Autel, each other, and trial and error are invaluable. But sometimes, finding specific bits of that knowledge is still pretty hard. Just the other day, I forgot what the ROI feature was for as it appeared to do nothing. My mind immediately thinks "return on investment" which of course makes no sense. So I wasted more time than necessary to find it and figure it out across here, YouTube, and other places. As another example, options in explorer not sticking is a common issue. What was the fix for that specific option again...? Or the sort of secret trick to bind two controllers? HDR VS HDR+Log VS Log VS NONE at night, what does that look like and what are the compromises?

I know some good answers to these things, and others do too. But it's a lot of tribal knowledge from research and trial and error, and other people could benefit from what's collectively in all of our heads given a structured place to collect these things into a "real manual" instead of finding the specific bit they need 17 minutes into a 30 minute YouTube clip that's mostly talking. I have knowledge that I don't know the right place to put so others can find it when they need it, and I'm willing to bet I'm not the only one.

What I'm getting at, is there's really not an ideal "single source of truth" we can go to for answers on everything explorer, or the drone(s) , what features do and don't do, due to bugs or (insert reasons here). As the number of new pilots increases with the launch of four new drones, it would be great to have a place to point them when we've already figured out things and what the quirks of each feature and option are.

One solution could be a companion wiki, serving as a community manual with pages on things like proper maintenance, explorer and autel sky, proper calibration, what each explorer option really does bugs or otherwise (with images)... The potential list goes on. I've hosted MediaWiki before (aka the software Wikipedia runs on) and would be willing to help construct such a place if others found value in it.

That might also end up helping Autel help us. If we had a list of known issues anyone could edit, linking back to forum discussions, that could make problems and software quirks more discoverable by providing an easy place to check. Our own experiences with each feature could inform them on how we're really using the tools vs how they were implented.

However, one anti-goal of such a project would be driving traffic away from the forums inadvertently. We'd want to enhance the value of the community, and not detract. So it would need to be approached with a good plan and strong community support.

So I'm just throwing this out there - what are your thoughts? Good idea, bad idea, or any other similar ideas you'd propose?

(I wrote all this out on my phone, sorry in advance if autocorrect messed any of it up)
I like the idea/concept, and with regards to enhancing the forums & I like the structured forum suggestion offered by Deanjp1. From the aspect of encouraging member interaction, if some sort of classification/ranking feature where available so members could essentially vote on a post or reply to be included in this (awesome collection of valuable information) then maybe an actual "Autel Reviewer" would review & gain clarity if needed and then post to this area.

Reactions: Sjs

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kwoody