Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Autel Update of Software to Support 3rd Party Smartphones or Tablets

Ann2Howard

Reaction score
I am new to Autel drones and am considering purchasing. I have read that the EVO series of drones require the use of a 3rd party Smartphone or Tablet to make some features like Map Tracking, Flight Path Routing, Follow-Me and other features work. I understand that Autel has a software/App call "Explore" that is a required download to 3rd party Smartphone or Tablet to make these features work. Before I purchase, I was wondering if Autel Forum Members or Autel Customer Serive or Autel Technical Support could answer the following questions:

1. Will the Autel required software be updated to support future 3rd party Smartphone and Tablet operating system updates?
2. How far into the future will Autel required software be updated by Autel to support drone systems purchased today and future Smartphone and Tablet operating system updates?

Last edited:
I am new to Autel drones and am considering purchasing. I have read that the EVO series of drones require the use of a 3rd party Smartphone or Tablet to make some features like Map Tracking, Flight Path Routing, Follow-Me and other features work. I understand that Autel has a software/App call "Explore" that is a required download to 3rd party Smartphone or Tablet to make these features work. Before I purchase, I was wondering if Autel Forum Members or Autel Customer Serive or Autel Technical Support could answer the following questions:

1. Will the Autel required software be updated to support future 3rd party Smartphone and Tablet operating system updates?
2. How far into the future will Autel required software be updated by Autel to support drone systems purchased today and future Smartphone and Tablet operating system updates?
First, the Autel controller for the EVO IIs has a small built in display screen so you can fly without the Explorer app, including adjusting settings, as well as seeing what the aircraft (drone) camera sees (e.g. FPV without headset).

Second, similar to other aircraft/drones, devices and cameras, Autel does have an app called Explorer with a version for Apple ios devices, as well as an Android version for other devices. Both versions are available via respective OS platform app/game/play stores for free. They are also available from Autel download site in case you need or want to manually load on to the device of your choice (phone, tablet). For example, I have Autel Explorer installed on a Android tablet, as well as Samsung S8 and S10 phones.

Autel releases new versions of the app sw, as well as aircraft/battery/controller sw/fw periodically, late March 2021 was the most recent, with the previous being back in late December iirc. As for how far into the future will they support and provide fixes, new functions, good question, you might want to ask Autel for their official answer. Otoh, I would expect a few if not several years.

As for supporting older versions of devices, thats usually a matter of what version or generation of the OS and platform they support. You could do some searching via google or your preferred search tool/platform to see supported platform versions.

Also note, Autel has an optional device called Live Deck that can receive live video feed from your aircraft/drone while in flight and display via USB, Ethernet and HDMI small or large displays (and goggles/headsets).

Good luck, safe and fun flying.

Reactions: TNTDrone and RPM
I am new to Autel drones and am considering purchasing. I have read that the EVO series of drones require the use of a Smartphone or Tablet to make some features like Map Tracking, Flight Path Routing, Follow-Me and other features work. Before I purchase, I was wondering if Autel Forum Members or Autel Customer Serive or Autel Technical Support could answer the following questions:

First, the Autel controller for the EVO IIs has a small built in display screen so you can fly without the Explorer app, including adjusting settings, as well as seeing what the aircraft (drone) camera sees (e.g. FPV without headset).

Second, similar to other aircraft/drones, devices and cameras, Autel does have an app called Explorer with a version for Apple ios devices, as well as an Android version for other devices. Both versions are available via respective OS platform app/game/play stores for free. They are also available from Autel download site in case you need or want to manually load on to the device of your choice (phone, tablet). For example, I have Autel Explorer installed on a Android tablet, as well as Samsung S8 and S10 phones.

Autel releases new versions of the app sw, as well as aircraft/battery/controller sw/fw periodically, late March 2021 was the most recent, with the previous being back in late December iirc. As for how far into the future will they support and provide fixes, new functions, good question, you might want to ask Autel for their official answer. Otoh, I would expect a few if not several years.

As for supporting older versions of devices, thats usually a matter of what version or generation of the OS and platform they support. You could do some searching via google or your preferred search tool/platform to see supported platform versions.

Also note, Autel has an optional device called Live Deck that can receive live video feed from your aircraft/drone while in flight and display via USB, Ethernet and HDMI small or large displays (and goggles/headsets).

Good luck, safe and fun flying.
Hi Gschulzuio,

Thanks for the response. This helps in my decision making.

I have made contact with Autel Robotics but have not as yet received a response.

Question - does Autel Robotics sale a drone photography system that does not require 3rd party Smartphones or Tablets to enjoy all its features?

Reason for these questions - I currently have older Yuneec camera euipment that is no longer usable because Yuneec stopped updating their software to remain compatible with current Smartphone and Tablet operating systems. That equipment was not cheap and is still usable except for camera software. I don't want this type of thing to happen again.

Reactions: gschulzuio
Hi Gschulzuio,

Thanks for the response. This helps in my decision making.

I have made contact with Autel Robotics but have not as yet received a response.

Question - does Autel Robotics sale a drone photography system that does not require 3rd party Smartphones or Tablets to enjoy all its features?

Reason for these questions - I currently have older Yuneec camera euipment that is no longer usable because Yuneec stopped updating their software to remain compatible with current Smartphone and Tablet operating systems. That equipment was not cheap and is still usable except for camera software. I don't want this type of thing to happen again.
No worries,

Short answer, to use all features you would need the Explorer app on an ios or droid device.

As mentioned above, you can fly Autel EVO IIs just with the controller and its small built in display. However to use advanced features such as missions/waypoints, orbits etc, you would want the app on some type of device (droid or ios). Depending on how old your device (phone/tablet) is would depend on if the Autel explorer would run or not. In some cases, I have had to download and manual load the app, however it then runs fine.

I would suggest you read some of the discussions on here about Autel XStar and come to your own conclusion. Present owners of EVOs might be a bit bias. My personal opinion is if you are planning on buying a new drone every couple years you will probably be alright with Autel. Most of us hobbyist like to hold own to our drones for a while and we expect support for them but it's non existent with Autel. Other drone makers might be the same way but there are plenty of aftermarket parts out there that you can find to repair your own and also plenty of repair shops. I'm only familiar with Autel and DJI and DJI has their faults also but not in the repair department.

We must think and reason because the purchase of a drone is currently done in a very short term spirit. It is a rapidly changing market and devices quickly become obsolete after their release. Their life can last only a year or two depending on the business.
At Autel, life is not long. At the release of the Evo 1, the owners of the X-Star were abandoned with the cessation of updates and the manufacture of batteries which are almost impossible to find today. The same is happening now for owners of the Evo 1, no more updates and batteries are becoming a scarce commodity on the market.
And the same will happen with the Evo 2 in a year or two at most when Autel releases another drone. Make no mistake, it is an object of consumption like any other, but of short duration.
Dji is doing a little better and the software and hardware follow-up takes a little longer. Only owners of Phantom 3 and before are penalized with the batteries, but the parts still exist.

I own an Evo 1 but I did not take the plunge to purchase the Evo 2 when I noticed the abandonment of the Evo 1 monitoring and the feature updates that had been promised on this model.
I preferred to buy a Mavic 2 Pro which despite its three years of existence (the release took place in august 2018) continues its cushy little life. I just had one more update software and firmware update, one month ago.
We will see if in three years, the Evo 2 will still have updates!

Last edited:

Don't have answer to your 2 questions, but there is a rumor going that says Autel will release a new controller that may eliminate the need for a phone or tablet. Do not have a release date, but you might research that.

I would suggest you read some of the discussions on here about Autel XStar and come to your own conclusion. Present owners of EVOs might be a bit bias. My personal opinion is if you are planning on buying a new drone every couple years you will probably be alright with Autel. Most of us hobbyist like to hold own to our drones for a while and we expect support for them but it's non existent with Autel. Other drone makers might be the same way but there are plenty of aftermarket parts out there that you can find to repair your own and also plenty of repair shops. I'm only familiar with Autel and DJI and DJI has their faults also but not in the repair department.

Don't have answer to your 2 questions, but there is a rumor going that says Autel will release a new controller that may eliminate the need for a phone or tablet. Do not have a release date, but you might research that.
Hi FredC,

Thanks for your response.

When I first joined the Autel Pilots forum, I had sent a question to Autel Customer support and got a response a few days ago. In that response the customer service person stated that they have "No current plans to stop updating Explorer". They also said that they are working on a new controller that will allow funtion of all drone features without the need of a 3rd party Smartphone or Tablet. He also said that he does not currently have a release date. So I can confirm your 2nd comment about the new Autel controller.

I sent a 2nd note to Autel Customer support pressing them on their statement "No CURRENT plans to stop updating Explorer". I have not as yet received a response (I suspect I will not).

Be that as it may, I am very hesitant to spend the money for another photographic drone system that relies upon 3rd party equipment. I've been burnt once and hate throwing good money after bad!! I may wait to see what Autel does with their new Controller. If it takes too long, I may go back and look again at DJI and their systems that use their Smart Controller which does not require 3rd party Smartphones or Tablets.

My understanding is that the smart controller is imminent. Having said that, hold onto an older phone/tablet and keep it with the drone for use. We have dedicated phones we use for each drone (we don't use tablets), as well as a crystal sky controller for a Phantom 4 pro we still have on the shelf.

So, if you are able, find a device that runs a version of Android that is compatible with the drone you are looking at, and keep it with the drone. That way, you should always have a device that has the software on it and can run the drone- even when they stop development.

Yuneec problem involved what drone model? The larger Typhoon H and 520 hexacopters are the ones I know about, which used their really slick and beautiful proprietary controller that is/was self-contained, no phone required. What I also know about Yuneec is that their prior US division closed shop, because they simply couldn't be competitive with DJI (according to their former head of US div).. If you're buying any tech device today with the mindset of it being useful beyond the lifetime of a single rechargeable battery-- you better buy spares of everything and be handy with a soldering iron. Or, alternately, buy the most common device because it is the most likely to have future 3rd party support. Right this moment, there are no service alternatives for Autel, few alternative sources of critical spares, few workarounds. While Autel is a good sized company that makes testing devices as well as drones, there are no guarantees about corporate longevity in these uncertain times. Even less guarantees about product lines. Autel got a big, big boost in the past year by DJI being slow to upgrade their lineup. But DJI just refreshed their lineup, and Autel hasn't responded quite yet. This doesn't mean Autel is a bad choice, but it might make it less than the ideal choice for someone whose overriding concern is will I be able to use this new drone 3+ years from now. Something that applies to ANY and EVERY drone in the USA is that no one to my knowledge--not Autel, not DJI-- has a drone offered for sale right now guaranteed to meet new FAA and FCC requirements 3 years from now (or that they'll still be able to sell in 18 mos). I would advise the OP to either wait until the new regulations are translated into actual products, or else buy whatever can found now with the understanding it might have a relatively short lifespan before it is obsolete, with possibly no spares or support beyond a year and a half out

Last edited:
My issue with Yuneec is with the CGO2 GB camera that I use with my Blade 350 QX3. Yuneec stopped updating the camera software for 3rd party Smartphones and Tablets. The drone is still flyable but the camera is usless.

I will be upgrading and am trying to find equipment (drone and camera) that is not dependent upon 3rd party hardware. However at this time, this is proving to be more difficult (not widely available yet) and expensive than expected. Now, as you mention, there is a new variable with these new Smart Batteries. I need to get current on equipment and make the best choice possible.

You're talking about a quadcopter from 2014. Your were an early adopter in a fast-evolving technology sector but the world moved in in a different direction than Blade/Yuneec. Whatever investment you make today is highly speculative. No one has a crystal ball that can tell you what things will look like and who'll be around still in another 7 years. OTOH, there's never been a better time to jump into the drone hobby, to have fun and get great pictures and video right out of the box. Autel does that as well as anybody

Reactions: UasDriver
You're talking about a quadcopter from 2014. Your were an early adopter in a fast-evolving technology sector but the world moved in in a different direction than Blade/Yuneec. Whatever investment you make today is highly speculative. No one has a crystal ball that can tell you what things will look like and who'll be around still in another 7 years. OTOH, there's never been a better time to jump into the drone hobby, to have fun and get great pictures and video right out of the box. Autel does that as well as anybody
Yes, that equipment is OLD, but it is still in excellent condition. With the exception of the camera app required by 3rd party Smartphone it is fully functional. What I was thinking is that if I purchased equipment that is completely self contained I would not be subject to 3rd party software updates. I could chose to download updated software/firmware to my self contained hardware (or not) and maintain an operating system no matter what the industry does with its software and hardware. As long as nothing physically breaks, or just wares out, I could retain a fully functional system well past the manufactures "End of Life" date.

What does the forum think?

Last edited:
Yes, that equipment is OLD, but it is still in excellent condition. With the exception of the camera app required by 3rd party Smartphone it is fully functional. What I was thinking is that if I purchased equipment that is completely self contained I would not be subject to 3rd party software updates. I could chose to download updated software/firmware to my self contained hardware (or not) and maintain an operating system no matter what the industry does with its software and hardware. As long as nothing physically breaks, or just wares out, I could retain a fully functional system well past the manufactures "End of Life" date.

What does the forum think?
Candidly while good thinking, you could also simply get a a current model such as Evo II Pro on sale, get a reasonable cost effective smartphone without sim card such as Samsung S8, get everything up to current sw/fw levels, buy some extra batteries. Then decide when to freeze any further sw/fw update on phone/os, controller, aircraft/batteries. Dedicate the phone for use as a controller display. Other than the hw (aircraft, batteries, controller, phone) physically wearing out, you then decide when it is obsolete. Likewise at some point you could add something like a smart controller and still have a backup for when that gets out of date or obsolete.

That is a good idea. I think I will work that solution and see how it goes for my existing equipment.

I got a response back from Autel Robotics support concerning my question about "End of Life" for the "Explorer" software updates. The rep. stated that he was not aware of a planned "End of Life". He is probably right in that HE DOES NOT KNOW.

As for my question about an approximate date for the release of the new Autel Smart Controller, there was no response.

I think that my next purchase will be a drone and camera system with a Smart Contoller. Something not dependent upon 3rd party Smart phones or Tablets. This would eliminate my dependence upon the drone manufactures need to continually update interface software (like "Explorer") to make newer Smartphones and Tablets able to support All the drone and camera features.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy