Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Autel Explorer v1.0.1.9 BETA - Autel - Have you lost your mind?

Y'know... You'd think some REAL standardization would be in order... How the heck does any entertainment company (anything from Disney to Autel - anything that has to do with using or viewing what a camera has output) know what format they should bet on?? Is this the beginning of another format war maybe (à la beta/vhs)?

They don't. Until now, I didn't realize they had switch up ratios like this on phones, I'm behind!:

This is just like the switch from analog TV (4:3) to HDTV (16:9) -- it should scale -- but will result in the "black bars". And in the same manner too! The video will have the black bars on the left and right of the video -- and the video in the center of the screen too! What's the use in having a "large" screen if apps or video aren't going to scale properly?

Of course, 18.5:9 is going to bring with it some headaches, particularly when it comes to videos. Because some videos display at 16:9, the S8 and S8 Plus is going to smack some vertical black bars on the left and right of files you watch in that format.

Samsung’s Galaxy S8 has a super tall screen, but a bizarre aspect ratio

and

Is anybody else unhappy with 18.5:9 aspect ratio? - Page 4 - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

And here is a help topic question from Samsung themselves on this mess they've made:

Galaxy S8: Are all apps supported in 18.5 : 9 ratio? | Samsung Support HK_EN

To me, this would be just like me complaining about my Autel App not working on my phone... when in this case -- Samsung users are complaining that "regular" apps do not function on this aspect ratio.

I would not be a Samsung fanboi any longer! -- and seems this has been a thing since the Galaxy S6, as the S5 had a FHD 1920x1080 display. All other Galaxy's are based on the "+" resolutions and ratios now. So again, What's the use in having a "large" screen if apps or video aren't going to scale properly? and fit the entire screen? The Samsung phone here is the problem and you will never convince an fanboi this is crap otherwise. lol

A sample of a user complaining as of 2 months ago -- that the Instagram app -- still does not work with this "+" resolutions and ratios....

You think this is a mess -- no one has mentioned this notch thing yet -- this is a newer screen design -- that is causing just as much headache across the Android ecosystem:

Reactions: Deleted member 2128
Not sure where to find the supported resolutions, but I must admit that it never occured to me that that could be the cause of any problems, either. As for my MOTO X4, the resolution is:

Resolution1080 x 1920 pixels, 16:9 ratio (~424 ppi density)

The resolution on the other 2 phones I use with no problems:

ZTE Axon 7:
Resolution1440 x 2560 pixels, 16:9 ratio (~538 ppi density)

ZTE Axon 7 Mini:
Resolution1080 x 1920 pixels, 16:9 ratio (~423 ppi density)

I misstated that one of them runs Oreo before.. they are both run Nougat...

Like your G6, the X4 is a great phone in every regard... just not when it comes to flying the EVO..

I haven't tried the new Beta for the Explorer app, but I'm anxious to see if the stable release solves anything.

So I do find it odd you have two 16:9 devices that works OK and one that does not.

Android 9 is either the problem OR some customization in the phone you can't find easily to change and/or no options to change at all -- as for the disconnects and errors you are seeing.

It could also be a bad implementation of "OTG" in that devices particular software build. Not all phones/tablets support "OTG". OTG simply makes data accessible through your USB port -- in this case the Autel controller is providing that data/video feed to the app.

OTG is also used in reverse, as I have a flash drive with a mini-usb connection that I plug into a device that supports OTG -- I can mount it like a flash card and transfer files back and forth.

As with MHL and HDMI standards - I am not sure if OTG is one that is sticking around or disappearing. Seems every convenient thing about an Android device has changed and been taken away over the years. Especially devices with an HDMI out port. And so few support MHL -- but you do hear some about it -- to this day.

I honestly have not looked or handled anything at the Android 9 level yet.

Y'know... You'd think some REAL standardization would be in order... How the heck does any entertainment company (anything from Disney to Autel - anything that has to do with using or viewing what a camera has output) know what format they should bet on?? Is this the beginning of another format war maybe (à la beta/vhs)?
If you go Autel, then use a Samsung flagship phone. According to @thomasr research.

If you go Autel, then use a Samsung flagship phone. According to @thomasr research.

lol

If they chose another screen ratio to design around - they could choose a regular 16:9 format using standard HD resolutions. HD/FHD/WQHD (without the +'s) - and be able to function on far more of the Android base. Most major manufacturers mid-level to flagship models would then be capable or compatible. Samsung, LG, Motorola, etc...

But this does not include newer Samsung devices that have decided to change the display ratios to the ones mentioned as supported by Autel. Any app made for the above specs, would need to scale on the Samsung models with this funky 18.5:9 ratio and in reverse would probably not work. Even if it did, the screen would be "letter-boxed" to show/scale the app the way it was intended to be seen on the screen. Sometimes this scaling is not so good. Why go with the larger screen sizes if they are not standard and do not use all of the screen to show a video or app in standard HD 16:9 ratios.

The same applies for even the LG for example on the other weird display ratio of 18:9 (2880 x 1440) has letter boxing too with standard 16:9 HD content. It's camera app can't even take up the full screen? lol

Here's Why The Displays In New Phones Are So Weird And Wide

Samsung has a feature that lets you stretch apps out and you can zoom into the videos to get rid of the bars. I don't watch many things on my S8, so it hasn't really bothered me much. The extra real estate is good when using my drone apps.

So I do find it odd you have two 16:9 devices that works OK and one that does not.

Android 9 is either the problem OR some customization in the phone you can't find easily to change and/or no options to change at all -- as for the disconnects and errors you are seeing.

It could also be a bad implementation of "OTG" in that devices particular software build. Not all phones/tablets support "OTG". OTG simply makes data accessible through your USB port -- in this case the Autel controller is providing that data/video feed to the app.

OTG is also used in reverse, as I have a flash drive with a mini-usb connection that I plug into a device that supports OTG -- I can mount it like a flash card and transfer files back and forth.

As with MHL and HDMI standards - I am not sure if OTG is one that is sticking around or disappearing. Seems every convenient thing about an Android device has changed and been taken away over the years. Especially devices with an HDMI out port. And so few support MHL -- but you do hear some about it -- to this day.

I honestly have not looked or handled anything at the Android 9 level yet.

Me either...

And according to Motorola and the specs, OTG is supported... (Their seems to be some speculation in various MOTO forums floating around that Pie might have messed some stuff up in that regard, but not really confirmed...) Unfortunately , I don't have the appropriate connector to test it myself... Well, I might, but I can't find it...

I do miss MHL, though. Still have some old connectors/cables lying around...

Also, I just got a chance to test it again, making sure no weird settings were on (power/battery, etc.) and I'm still having problems with the one phone. I guess I'll just have to be patient for the stable Explorer app update (and hopefully not the one after!) as I prefer the MOTO X4 over the other phones I can use...

A nice tidbit I run across again. Since it is not in print anywhere "what" is actually supported here -- I knew I had "seen" it on a video somewhere. I just did not know if it was the YouTube "user based" videos or Autel's...

? Autel's... I have the video queued to just before those magical words...

Autel Explorer app Overview

So I have access to a Samsung galaxy S8 for $240.00 can. unlocked
I read that its brightness is good when outdoors. Is it a good size display to use with the EVO ? And what about battery strenght when used with Auto brightness ?

Thanking in advance to all,

Norm

So I have access to a Samsung galaxy S8 for $240.00 can. unlocked
I read that its brightness is good when outdoors. Is it a good size display to use with the EVO ? And what about battery strenght when used with Auto brightness ?

Thanking in advance to all,

Norm
I use a S8 with my Evo. The brightness works great outside and it will outlast the controller's battery, so don't worry.

Hi all, I did not decide with the Samsung S8 for the price is a bit on the high side as I am investigating a Huawei type at 6.5" . What I'm not sure though is the Nits factor
during a sunny day as the Samsung S8 seems good in that regard.

Huawei Honor 8X (64GB + 4GB RAM) 6.5" HD 4G LTE GSM Factory Unlocked Smartphone - International Version No Warranty JSN-L23 (Black): Amazon.ca: Gateway

Tell me what you all think please, as the price is right and I will sell my Shield tablet with gaming pad since it is a bit big
but for the most part the glare is simply unacceptable. I wonder how much the Shield could sell ?

Norm

Last edited:
Hi all, I did not decide with the Samsung S8 for the price is a bit on the high side as I am investigating a Huawei type at 6.5" . What I'm not sure though is the Nits factor
during a sunny day as the Samsung S8 seems good in that regard.

Huawei Honor 8X (64GB + 4GB RAM) 6.5" HD 4G LTE GSM Factory Unlocked Smartphone - International Version No Warranty JSN-L23 (Black): Amazon.ca: Gateway

Tell me what you all think please, as the price is right and I will sell my Shield tablet with gaming pad since it is a bit big
but for the most part the glare is simply unacceptable. I wonder how much the Shield could sell ?

Norm
It's a nice phone, but it caps out at 430 nits.

It's a nice phone, but it caps out at 430 nits.
Thanks for your response Ansia, I have a nice set up (see pic) I have to use as I have MS . I think I'll order the Huewei unit and will report here, if not ok it is ordered through Amazon
and they are good if I need to return it. Had a hard time to convert pdf file to jpg but done now.

Take Care,

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    446.2 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: Ansia
Thanks for your response Ansia, I have a nice set up (see pic) I have to use as I have MS . I think I'll order the Huewei unit and will report here, if not ok it is ordered through Amazon
and they are good if I need to return it. Had a hard time to convert pdf file to jpg but done now.

Take Care,
I sometimes use a pilot chair too. Nothing like flying comfortably.

I'm all set for my EVO even have liability insurance as long I don't fly commercially. Have my license (Basic) as here
in Canada we have to be licensed by upcoming June 1 first. I wish I could do some paid work with it like verifying
roof tops. Right now my liability insurance costs me close to $100.0 can. with over $7,000,000.00 which is very
fair but if I was to use it commercially it would balloon to over $1,000.00

The hardest would be to find clients though I live within much agricultural acreage where with a Flir camera I would be able
to save money to farmers with their crop finding if they need intercessions saving them money.

Oh well the important thing is to have fun responsibly.

Norm

I'm all set for my EVO even have liability insurance as long I don't fly commercially. Have my license (Basic) as here
in Canada we have to be licensed by upcoming June 1 first. I wish I could do some paid work with it like verifying
roof tops. Right now my liability insurance costs me close to $100.0 can. with over $7,000,000.00 which is very
fair but if I was to use it commercially it would balloon to over $1,000.00

The hardest would be to find clients though I live within much agricultural acreage where with a Flir camera I would be able
to save money to farmers with their crop finding if they need intercessions saving them money.

Oh well the important thing is to have fun responsibly.

Norm
Lucky you. I'm dying to get insurance, but no company will sell me one for the drone or liability from it. They are so archaic and haven't designed one yet.

Every time I take a complicated job, I pray everything runs smooth.

I chose the ZTE Axon 7 for the autel and it works well.

My issues with the explorer app has to do with it requiring a google account to get me cached, offline maps.

Nowhere in the product description from Autel did I read that a google account was required to get the full functionality of this product.

I plan to investigate this problem and possible workarounds in a new thread, but I will give Autel a few more chances to respond to my inquiries on the matter.

Good news, I tried the Huawei Honor 8X 6.5 " and it's a definitive keeper. Everything works with Autel Explorer.
I have not used flying the EVO but I have tried it with the drone on the floor and spinning.
Glad of my purchase. Open to questions if needed.

Take Care All,

Norm

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rudymuller