Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Autel Evo 2 Dual 640R quietly appears on a few vendor's sites

jaja6009

Reaction score
I have now saw the Evo 2 Dual 640R for sale on a few vendor's sites.
640 resolution Flir Boson radiometric sensor.
Best news $500 more than the regular Dual.
The Boson had an extremely long journey to becoming radiometric but it's here and this sensor will mature into a fine product.
Flir also has excellent software so IMHO the Evo 2 just made a strong case for organizations that must buy Made in the USA.
DJI will never at this time gain access to Flir thermal cores while on the entity list.
Autel is doing some great things!

I have now saw the Evo 2 Dual 640R for sale on a few vendor's sites.
640 resolution Flir Boson radiometric sensor.
Best news $500 more than the regular Dual.
The Boson had an extremely long journey to becoming radiometric but it's here and this sensor will mature into a fine product.
Flir also has excellent software so IMHO the Evo 2 just made a strong case for organizations that must buy Made in the USA.
DJI will never at this time gain access to Flir thermal cores while on the entity list.
Autel is doing some great things!
Welllllll...I was waiting to post this also...received my 640R Rugged Bundle yesterday. Yes, it's a good bit of coin to drop on it, but for what I'm working on in my area, I felt I needed it. It is V1, so the components are compatible with my V1 EVO 6k. There are V2 versions coming, but I don't know when. There are only a couple of V2s out there that have gone to vendors with a good relationship with Autel. I have only done minor testing so far with it. It has all the same app functions as the regular 8k or 6k except you have to download the latest firmware to access the thermal functions. Yes, it does create JPEG-R images accessible in FLIR tools. I have not put it through a test yet.

The only issue I have so far with it is that when creating a mission, you can do a thermal mapping session (including overlaps), BUT using the oblique, rectangle, or polygon setup, you cannot orient the aircraft direction to match with the “face” of a string of solar panels. It will stay in the “direction of flight” like a traditional mapping session would. To get the best results for solar, you must fly facing the string and camera angle match the panel angles. Very disappointed about that. (The red content was corrected, see photo in my reply below for a visual explanation)

You can set the camera angle and direction orientation using the "waypoint" method, BUT you cannot set the overlap of the photos. WE NEED SOME GIVE AND TAKE ON THIS AUTEL......this could be a money maker for you...hint hint...next update!!

There are a couple of other things to address also, but I was planning on making a quick video of it all for everyone on my YouTube. I will post a link once I complete it.

It does come with the 1 year free subscription to Pix4D React also. Very nice! There was also a Fox Fury Lighting Kit (Saddle and 2 lights). There were other additions, but I'm guessing it depends on what vendor you go to.

***BIG NOTE*** Do understand that currently Autel has not placed the DUALs on the Autel Care plan page. Only EVO 2 and EVO 2 PRO are offered there. I tried to input my serial under both and it prompted me to send the unit to WA Autel for examination before granting care.

Requirements for Autel care are:
-Unit has to be brand new
-And you must purchase Autel Care within 48 hours of registering it on their site.

I met those requirements and it would not accept my serial number. I've drafted a ticket and sent it in to Autel Support for further guidance. I will most likely have to add this to my hull insurance policy with my other aircraft. You would think something this expensive would be considered for warranty care. There is no way I'm going to stick in back in a box and ship it to WA and risk any damage by my friendly postal service (Thanks for what you guys/gals do though). Anyway, check my tube page pretty soon for a video on this nice machine. Mahalo!

Oh...and have a look at the case it came with! Suprise!

Attachments

• AUTEL 640R CASE 2021.jpg
    AUTEL 640R CASE 2021.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Welllllll...I was waiting to post this also...received my 640R Rugged Bundle yesterday. Yes, it's a good bit of coin to drop on it, but for what I'm working on in my area, I felt I needed it. It is V1, so the components are compatible with my V1 EVO 6k. There are V2 versions coming, but I don't know when. There are only a couple of V2s out there that have gone to vendors with a good relationship with Autel. I have only done minor testing so far with it. It has all the same app functions as the regular 8k or 6k except you have to download the latest firmware to access the thermal functions. Yes, it does create JPEG-R images accessible in FLIR tools. I have not put it through a test yet.

The only issue I have so far with it is that when creating a mission, you can do a thermal mapping session (including overlaps), BUT using the oblique, rectangle, or polygon setup, you cannot orient the camera angle to match with the angle or direction of a string of solar panels. It will stay 90deg and in the direction of flight like a traditional mapping session would. To get the best results for solar, you must fly parallel to the string and camera angle match the panel angles. Very disappointed about that.

You can set the camera angle and direction orientation using the "waypoint" method, BUT you cannot set the overlap of the photos. WE NEED SOME GIVE AND TAKE ON THIS AUTEL......this could be a money maker for you...hint hint...next update!!

There are a couple of other things to address also, but I was planning on making a quick video of it all for everyone on my YouTube. I will post a link once I complete it.

It does come with the 1 year free subscription to Pix4D React also. Very nice! There was also a Fox Fury Lighting Kit (Saddle and 2 lights). There were other additions, but I'm guessing it depends on what vendor you go to.

***BIG NOTE*** Do understand that currently Autel has not placed the DUALs on the Autel Care plan page. Only EVO 2 and EVO 2 PRO are offered there. I tried to input my serial under both and it prompted me to send the unit to WA Autel for examination before granting care.

Requirements for Autel care are:
-Unit has to be brand new
-And you must purchase Autel Care within 48 hours of registering it on their site.

I met those requirements and it would not accept my serial number. I've drafted a ticket and sent it in to Autel Support for further guidance. I will most likely have to add this to my hull insurance policy with my other aircraft. You would think something this expensive would be considered for warranty care. There is no way I'm going to stick in back in a box and ship it to WA and risk any damage by my friendly postal service (Thanks for what you guys/gals do though). Anyway, check my tube page pretty soon for a video on this nice machine. Mahalo!

Oh...and have a look at the case it came with! Suprise!
Very excited to hear about this sensor. Thanks for sharing. Does it take RGB and Thermal simultaneously? what about Isotherms and other features similar to the HT2?

Very excited to hear about this sensor. Thanks for sharing. Does it take RGB and Thermal simultaneously? what about Isotherms and other features similar to the HT2?
So far it looks like it does not take the RGB and Thermal simultaneously. I am installing FLIR Tools now to get a better look at things. I took 3 sample photos, and looking at my memory card, there are only 3 thermal .jpegs There is a button on the thermal screen that will allow you to change to RGB quickly though and capture a shot.

As far as isotherm, you can adjust a Min temp and Max temp, but it is not visually represented by a color "scale". Instead, there is a temperature box that can be placed on an area and a red dot representing the hottest spot in that area with and the hottest temp in deg showing, and a blue dot representing the coolest spot in that area and the coolest temp in deg showing. It then shows an average temp next to those readings. I did not think to put the palette in white/hot or black/hot to see if the color of the dots changed with it. I will attempt that again. An adjustable color palette scale would be cool.

Notice in Pics 2 & 3 that when you change the Emissivity slider, the temperature ranges change on the red and blue dots in the area target box.

There is a Temperature Warning alarm and you can adjust the thermal emissivity. Aaaanndd, I 'miswrote' about not being able to adjust camera angle in the poly, rect and oblique missions. It is possible, but orientation/direction of the camera can't be changed from direction of flight....YET....These things are all features that I would think can be added with updates and as their program grows. The whole V1 / V2 issue will put these type of issues in a limbo I think....HELP US OUT AUTEL...PLZ

Hope that answers some of your questions. Like I said, I will do a video covering all of this stuff soon. Have a great rest of the week guys/gals. Mahalo. Aaand....Yes, FLIR Tools is running on my Macbook Pro....it is possible to do.

Attachments

• 640R SS1.jpg
    640R SS1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 36
  • 640R SS2.jpg
    640R SS2.jpg
    928.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 640R SS3.jpg
    640R SS3.jpg
    929.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 640R SS4.jpg
    640R SS4.jpg
    724 KB · Views: 31
  • Screen Shot 2021-08-26 at 3.29.44 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-08-26 at 3.29.44 AM.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 28
  • Screen Shot 2021-08-26 at 3.31.33 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-08-26 at 3.31.33 AM.jpg
    650.5 KB · Views: 23
  • Screen Shot 2021-08-26 at 3.33.25 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-08-26 at 3.33.25 AM.jpg
    793.8 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Reactions: jaja6009
So far it looks like it does not take the RGB and Thermal simultaneously. I am installing FLIR Tools now to get a better look at things. I took 3 sample photos, and looking at my memory card, there are only 3 thermal .jpegs There is a button on the thermal screen that will allow you to change to RGB quickly though and capture a shot.

As far as isotherm, you can adjust a Min temp and Max temp, but it is not visually represented by a color "scale". Instead, there is a temperature box that can be placed on an area and a red dot representing the hottest spot in that area with and the hottest temp in deg showing, and a blue dot representing the coolest spot in that area and the coolest temp in deg showing. It then shows an average temp next to those readings. I did not think to put the palette in white/hot or black/hot to see if the color of the dots changed with it. I will attempt that again. An adjustable color palette scale would be cool.

There is a Temperature Warning alarm and you can adjust the thermal emissivity. Aaaanndd, I 'miswrote' about not being able to adjust camera angle in the missions. It is possible, but orientation/direction of the camera can't be changed from direction of flight....YET....These things are all features that I would think can be added with updates and as their program grows. The whole V1 / V2 issue will put these type of issues in a limbo I think....HELP US OUT AUTEL...PLZ

Hope that answers some of your questions. Like I said, I will do a video covering all of this stuff soon. Have a great rest of the week guys/gals. Mahalo. Aaand....Yes, FLIR Tools is running on my Macbook Pro....it is possible to do.
Nope. Not officially supported on MAC. Been complaining to them about that for several years now.

Notice in Pics 2 & 3 that when you change the Emissivity slider, the temperature ranges change on the red and blue dots in the area target box.

There is a Temperature Warning alarm and you can adjust the thermal emissivity. Aaaanndd, I 'miswrote' about not being able to adjust camera angle in the poly, rect and oblique missions. It is possible, but orientation/direction of the camera can't be changed from direction of flight....YET....These things are all features that I would think can be added with updates and as their program grows. The whole V1 / V2 issue will put these type of issues in a limbo I think....HELP US OUT AUTEL...PLZ

It is very disappointing that the Dual, Dual 640R, 640T and Mavic Enterprise Advanced all do not have the span\range (scale on the side showing highest and lowest temperature and color pallette scale). This is pretty much standard on all thermal imaging cameras. Without this and a span/lock feature they have really made it hard to practice thermography. My CAT phones with entry level Lepton cores all can do this as well as my Anafi Thermal. This is a major fail on DJI and Autel in regards to offering basic thermal imaging functions.

It is very disappointing that the Dual, Dual 640R, 640T and Mavic Enterprise Advanced all do not have the span\range (scale on the side showing highest and lowest temperature and color pallette scale). This is pretty much standard on all thermal imaging cameras. Without this and a span/lock feature they have really made it hard to practice thermography. My CAT phones with entry level Lepton cores all can do this as well as my Anafi Thermal. This is a major fail on DJI and Autel in regards to offering basic thermal imaging functions.
Very true. I love that feature on the Anafi and the ability to "blend" the thermal with the real image like MSX...guess I'll patiently wait for an update... AUTELLLL....

Reactions: SARty
Here is a great example of why you really need to have the ability to have span/range shown, locked or changed.
I was using my Mavic Enterprise Advanced to follow a rabbit to practice some SAR.

In this first image the ground is the coldest item on the screen and the rabbit is very easy to see as the ground is for the most part blue/purple and the rabbit is orange/yellow.
1630134871594.jpeg

This second image now has a part of the building in it that is colder than the ground. The ground went from mostly blue/purple to now having a lot of orange yellow making it harder to spot the rabbit.
1630134954804.jpeg

Let's say the ground was 75* F. In the second image there is a built up roof with metal caps that are colder than the ground in the image, and they are now the coldest item in the scene. All of my blue purple is now gone from the ground making it harder to see the rabbit. With span/range lock and/or adjust the span/range I could of put my temperatures of interest at a temperature that excluded the metal caps. We assume that the caps were 69*F, I could of set my range of my palette to 73* F and up and I would still have my nice blue/purple ground to help me more easily see the target rabbit. The same could be done if Isotherm was available. The temperature box with the AVG, MIN and MAX is helpful along with the preset Temp Alert, but I would still like to have the ability that any basic thermal imaging camera has to see, set and manipulate the span/range.

For DJI I could believe that this was done intentionally as the HT20T can do this, and rumor is that the Mavic Enterprise Advanced is the same thermal core. DJI could be making you buy the Matrice 300 RTK and HT20T to get the full thermography experience. Maybe they don't want to cut too deep into sales for that expensive yet awesome drone.

For Autel it is puzzling. For them to start to really cut into DJI sales they need to have a better product. The Evo 2 Dual 640 R is their full thermography package and as of right now it is not up to par with a full thermography package. I hope to see firmware and software enhancements to make this what it needs to be.

At my real job I get to use the Evo 2 Dual and I like it very much. The Dual 640 R is a big step forward to those needing to do quantitative thermography, but for a true quantitative thermography drone they need to add a lot more features.

Autel add
Span/Range Adjust and lock (And view!)
Full parameters while in flight (Emissivity, Humidity, TRflec, ambient temp)
Make sure the thermal imaging camera temp is calculated into the apparent temperature
Isotherm
JPG and RJPG taken together
MSX or Image overlay
An Enterprise shield type protection plan as if I had to choose right now between the Mavic Enterprise Advanced and the Evo 2 Dual, Dual 640R or 640T I would have to go with DJI as for this type of coin I cannot have a bird strike end my thermal capability.

I do love the competition as there are some great choices to be had in small drones with 640 radiometric thermal capabilities. Let's hope that this drives Autel and DJI to race each other to perfecting these drones.

Here is a great example of why you really need to have the ability to have span/range shown, locked or changed.
I was using my Mavic Enterprise Advanced to follow a rabbit to practice some SAR.

In this first image the ground is the coldest item on the screen and the rabbit is very easy to see as the ground is for the most part blue/purple and the rabbit is orange/yellow.
View attachment 11383

This second image now has a part of the building in it that is colder than the ground. The ground went from mostly blue/purple to now having a lot of orange yellow making it harder to spot the rabbit.
View attachment 11384

Let's say the ground was 75* F. In the second image there is a built up roof with metal caps that are colder than the ground in the image, and they are now the coldest item in the scene. All of my blue purple is now gone from the ground making it harder to see the rabbit. With span/range lock and/or adjust the span/range I could of put my temperatures of interest at a temperature that excluded the metal caps. We assume that the caps were 69*F, I could of set my range of my palette to 73* F and up and I would still have my nice blue/purple ground to help me more easily see the target rabbit. The same could be done if Isotherm was available. The temperature box with the AVG, MIN and MAX is helpful along with the preset Temp Alert, but I would still like to have the ability that any basic thermal imaging camera has to see, set and manipulate the span/range.

For DJI I could believe that this was done intentionally as the HT20T can do this, and rumor is that the Mavic Enterprise Advanced is the same thermal core. DJI could be making you buy the Matrice 300 RTK and HT20T to get the full thermography experience. Maybe they don't want to cut too deep into sales for that expensive yet awesome drone.

For Autel it is puzzling. For them to start to really cut into DJI sales they need to have a better product. The Evo 2 Dual 640 R is their full thermography package and as of right now it is not up to par with a full thermography package. I hope to see firmware and software enhancements to make this what it needs to be.

At my real job I get to use the Evo 2 Dual and I like it very much. The Dual 640 R is a big step forward to those needing to do quantitative thermography, but for a true quantitative thermography drone they need to add a lot more features.

Autel add
Span/Range Adjust and lock (And view!)
Full parameters while in flight (Emissivity, Humidity, TRflec, ambient temp)
Make sure the thermal imaging camera temp is calculated into the apparent temperature
Isotherm
JPG and RJPG taken together
MSX or Image overlay
An Enterprise shield type protection plan as if I had to choose right now between the Mavic Enterprise Advanced and the Evo 2 Dual, Dual 640R or 640T I would have to go with DJI as for this type of coin I cannot have a bird strike end my thermal capability.

I do love the competition as there are some great choices to be had in small drones with 640 radiometric thermal capabilities. Let's hope that this drives Autel and DJI to race each other to perfecting these drones.
@JaJa Totally agree. I think/hope that Flir/Autel relationship will be better and bring more of those enhancements to us. I still think the target audience is Law Enforcement and Fire, which don't care about Quantitative measurements.

Hello all. Just writing with a quick update AND correction to a question @John Kerrins and @jaja6009 had for me earlier. The 640R DOES take simultaneous RGB and thermal images. The aircraft must be in picture in picture mode in order to do it!

The thermal photo will be 640x512; The RGB will be in 3820x2160; and you will get a "mixed image" in 1280x720

I did not attempt to change my RGB camera setting to a lower setting to see if the RGB size/reso would change while in Pic in Pic. Guess I should try that.

The files will be named accordingly on your SD to not confuse them.

IRX_0001 - The thermal JPEG
MAX_0001 - The RGB JPG (shows gps metadata in the inspector)
MIX_0001 - The Mixed image of both (show gps metadata in the inspector)

But overall, good news I guess. I apologize for the misinformation. Still doing more test today and will have a video up soon!

Attachments

• DUAL 640R MIXED THERMAL PIP.jpg
    DUAL 640R MIXED THERMAL PIP.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 24
  • DUAL 640R RGB IMAGE PIP.jpg
    DUAL 640R RGB IMAGE PIP.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 20
  • DUAL 640R THERMAL IMAGE PIP.jpg
    DUAL 640R THERMAL IMAGE PIP.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IRX_0001.JPG
    IRX_0001.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
  • MAX_0001.JPG
    MAX_0001.JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 25
  • MIX_0001.JPG
    MIX_0001.JPG
    993.5 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Reactions: jaja6009
@Hawaii Drone Imaging You have a video up to show us your findings?
Hi all,

I apologize for not completing this yet for you. Had to change focus for a second. With that being said, I will get this done as soon as I can. Everyone on this forum has been super helpful over the years. I want to do the same. Aloha!!

Reactions: hawkwind

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials