Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Anyone successfully using an iPad Mini 1st Generation tablet

DanKearney

Reaction score
If you are successfully flying your X-Star Premium while using a 1st generation iPad MINI, please reply back and let me know what your experience is like. Good, Bad, Buggy, etc.

I am aware that the 1st gen iPad Mini is not on the "approved device" list. I've not yet flown my X-Star Premium, but StarLink installs on the iPad Mini, seems to run properly, and communicates with the X-Star. Of course this is all while sitting on my office desk.

I want to know if it will work when I actually try to fly.

Cheers,

Dan K.

If you are successfully flying your X-Star Premium while using a 1st generation iPad MINI, please reply back and let me know what your experience is like. Good, Bad, Buggy, etc.

I am aware that the 1st gen iPad Mini is not on the "approved device" list. I've not yet flown my X-Star Premium, but StarLink installs on the iPad Mini, seems to run properly, and communicates with the X-Star. Of course this is all while sitting on my office desk.

I want to know if it will work when I actually try to fly.

Cheers,

Dan K.

I did some research and found that a minimum level Ipad mini 2 is necessary to fly. I use this Ipad mini 2, bought for $199.00 at Best Buy, work flawlessly.

Reactions: DanKearney
OK, moot point now. Expecting delivery tomorrow of a Samsung Galaxy Tab A tomorrow. It'll be the dedicated X-Star device.

Cheers,

Dan K.

I'd noticed the video gets laggy when i'm using it on my Nexus 7 2nd generation tablet (which don't have a memory expansion slot), but runs fine with my Samsung Note 4. I wonder if it has to do with the writing speed it needs for the video cache on the memory card vs just internal memory.

I have no idea how the video feed is buffered to the tablet from the remote controller, or even if it is buffered at all.

The Samsung Tab A 8" that I picked up seems to work with just a split-second of video lag. I don't find it distracting at all. I finally took my first XSP flight today and I alternated between looking only at the aircraft while I flew and then looking only at the tablet screen as I few. The Tab A seems to do quite well. At my next opportunity to fly, I am going to give my Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 a try and see if the larger screen is better or worse.

Cheers,

Dan K.

Thanks Dan. Yeah, on my Nexus it really skips or lag really bad. I can't even fly it just by watching my tablet display. I just purchase a Samsung Tab A 7". I will give it a shot next week.

I mis-typed earlier. I have the Galaxy Tab A 7" (2016) running 5.1.1. It worked perfectly today. I flew for about 1 hour total, never had a video issue.

There is a display setting named "Outdoor mode". Makes the screen even brighter than if you run the slider all the way up.

Cheers,

Dan K.

I did some research and found that a minimum level Ipad mini 2 is necessary to fly. I use this Ipad mini 2, bought for $199.00 at Best Buy, work flawlessly.
That's what I plan on using since i'm not sure if I can use my 12" ipad pro??

I've been using the iPad mini 1st generation with no apparent issues to date. I did have an issue with my x-star starting and stopping recording and when I called Autel was told glitchy app and to use the record on the RC. Problem solved. Issues with video streaming happens whether I use my iPhone6S Plus or the iPad mini. when I did talk to Autel he immediately said the iPad was probably the issue though their site of listed "approved devices" states it just wasn't tested. So .... In short, no issues, I'd use the iPad mini before trying to life hack the amazon fire tablet.

Reactions: OrangeUFO

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials