Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

An Old Wooden Billboard Somewhere in the Catskills

Just more boring practice video I spliced together.

An Old Wooden Billboard Somewhere in the Catskills

Today's practice session was in smooth rotation and gimbal operation. Obviously, I need more practice.

The trick to smooth orbits is to turn on the center cross hairs in the display. Yes obviously they also take a lot of practice, but without the cross hairs enabled it is hard to tell if you are losing your orbit center until you are so far off that a correction will show in the footage. Every drone flies differently and orbits are one of my favorite maneuvers, so when I first get a new drone I take it to a park, turn on the center cross hairs and orbit at full speed in Ludicrous mode around a tree clockwise and counter clockwise until the battery dies. I then repeat it and go the other way. This helps me gain muscle memory on how that particular drone accepts stick input during an orbit.

Another trick while you are learning is to shoot at 60FPS. When you are starting out, you only need a few good seconds out of an orbit before you jump cut to a different shot; at 60FPS if you only got 2 perfect seconds out of your orbit but the next cue point on the audio track is 3 seconds away, you can drop the playback speed for that clip to 50% to reach 4 seconds. Last but not least don't show the beginning of the orbit. I hit record before the start of the orbit then typically do a full clockwise and counter clockwise 360. While editing I pick the best part of the orbit that does not show the start or end.

Personally I always keep the center cross hairs on, they are a great help and will alert you to problems early enough that you can fix it (or start over) before it shows in the footage. For example if I am dollying in on a car but there is a cross wind the cross hairs will tell me immediately if the drone is drifting off course.

Reactions: GeekOnTheWing
The trick to smooth orbits is to turn on the center cross hairs in the display. Yes obviously they also take a lot of practice, but without the cross hairs enabled it is hard to tell if you are losing your orbit center until you are so far off that a correction will show in the footage. Every drone flies differently and orbits are one of my favorite maneuvers, so when I first get a new drone I take it to a park, turn on the center cross hairs and orbit at full speed in Ludicrous mode around a tree clockwise and counter clockwise until the battery dies. I then repeat it and go the other way. This helps me gain muscle memory on how that particular drone accepts stick input during an orbit.

Another trick while you are learning is to shoot at 60FPS. When you are starting out, you only need a few good seconds out of an orbit before you jump cut to a different shot; at 60FPS if you only got 2 perfect seconds out of your orbit but the next cue point on the audio track is 3 seconds away, you can drop the playback speed for that clip to 50% to reach 4 seconds. Last but not least don't show the beginning of the orbit. I hit record before the start of the orbit then typically do a full clockwise and counter clockwise 360. While editing I pick the best part of the orbit that does not show the start or end.

Personally I always keep the center cross hairs on, they are a great help and will alert you to problems early enough that you can fix it (or start over) before it shows in the footage. For example if I am dollying in on a car but there is a cross wind the cross hairs will tell me immediately if the drone is drifting off course.

Thank you. I appreciate the helpful advice. I practice every day that weather permits, and the suggestions are very helpful as guidelines.

That video was at 60FPS, by the way. I didn't slow any of it down, but I did reverse the direction of two clips.

The segments in the video are not in the sequence I shot them. The better-executed maneuvers were the ones I did last, when I decided to step back about 20 feet so I'd be in the shade of a tree but still have VLOS. All the sudden, I could actually see the display on the phone. It's amazing how much difference that makes.

I can't wait for some store to have the Smart Controller in stock.

On another note, I originally picked things like abandoned houses and old billboards for practice because no one cares if I fly near them. But now I find that there's something inherently interesting about them. I may take a few trips to Sullivan County, where there are a lot of abandoned resorts, to find some more old stuff to immortalize.

Thanks again.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy