Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

An Old Railroad Bridge

GeekOnTheWing

Reaction score
Website
flypart107.aero
Specifically, the bridge over Bush Kill on a section of the Delaware & Ulster Railroad's track.

DURR is currently a scenic railroad, one of the few remaining in the region whose tracks the state hasn't torn up to make bike paths or "rail trails." Our current state government seems to detest scenic railroads and pulls up their tracks whenever they can. I figured I should immortalize the bridge before they send a crew to blow it up.

Specifically, the bridge over Bush Kill on a section of the Delaware & Ulster Railroad's track.

DURR is currently a scenic railroad, one of the few remaining in the region whose tracks the state hasn't torn up to make bike paths or "rail trails." Our current state government seems to detest scenic railroads and pulls up their tracks whenever they can. I figured I should immortalize the bridge before they send a crew to blow it up.
Beautiful bridge. Nice smooth, steady shots. Music had nice even beat. Consider using a beat marker and cut up smaller clips to match the beat. If you had added in a train whistle and a kid walking on the tracks..... it would have been perfect. MHO :)

Beautiful bridge. Nice smooth, steady shots. Music had nice even beat. Consider using a beat marker and cut up smaller clips to match the beat. If you had added in a train whistle and a kid walking on the tracks..... it would have been perfect. MHO :)

Thanks. It was actually a little challenging because the bridge throws off the compass. That was also why I launched from the weeds: The rails were causing compass errors; and the track bed is elevated, so that meant looking for a place in the weeds to launch from.

I chose the exact spot because I wanted those twigs in the foreground while ascending. That also resulted in at least two cameos that I noticed. :cool:

I shot this video with the CPL filter and using the official Autel LUT, which said combination resulted in severe oversaturation for some reason. I backed it off quite a bit in Resolve Studio, but I probably should desaturate it some more.

My main purpose for shooting the bridge was as stated, however, and it serves the purpose. I also posted the link on Bridgehunter. But I'll revise the video along the lines of your recommendations and re-upload it on a rainy, slow day.

Or I may reshoot it. I keep forgetting that the Autel defaults back to 30FPS after firmware updates, which I did this weekend because I bought some batteries. I'd rather it be in 60FPS. I'm coming up with a better checklist that will include checking the video settings.

One way or the other, I plan to re-shoot it in the fall. That's a really beautiful little spot once the leaves change.

Thanks again.

Looks great. Unsure exactly where that was, but my buddy Harry is Chairman of The Catskill Mountain Railroad operating in Kingston, NY and previously in Phoenicia , NY along the Esopus Creek which is one of those prime examples of track removed to make room for trail rather than do both rail and trail; one of the extents that they ran on is now Rail Explorers (sit and human locomotion moves the cars).

He had to construct ad hoc siding to get his trains off the track when the Ulster County did not renew their lease on a section of track. Tough endeavor to place ones passion.

Reactions: GeekOnTheWing
Looks great. Unsure exactly where that was, but my buddy Harry is Chairman of The Catskill Mountain Railroad operating in Kingston, NY and previously in Phoenicia , NY along the Esopus Creek which is one of those prime examples of track removed to make room for trail rather than do both rail and trail; one of the extents that they ran on is now Rail Explorers (sit and human locomotion moves the cars).

He had to construct ad hoc siding to get his trains off the track when the Ulster County did not renew their lease on a section of track. Tough endeavor to place ones passion.
I'm familiar with the situation with CMRR. It's pretty sad. Although the pedal cars do seem to be popular, they're not the same as an actual piece of the historic railroad. Railroads were such an important part of the nation's (and this region's) history that they need and deserve to be preserved.

By the way, the bridge is at 42°08'59" N, 74°36'18" W.

I'm familiar with the situation with CMRR. It's pretty sad. Although the pedal cars do seem to be popular, they're not the same as an actual piece of the historic railroad. Railroads were such an important part of the nation's (and this region's) history that they need and deserve to be preserved.

Thanks Richard, I'll take a look. Harry was pretty upset about the way CMRR was treated. They put a lot of work into it to become Ulster County's second biggest tourist destination (I think his Town Tinker is #1). They were even looking to add commerce to the line as a way of getting goods transported without clogging the roads; rail and trail would have been best.

I know where that is. My parents summered in Fleichmans when I was little. You're further west on Rt 28 from Phoenicia, Big Indian, Bellayre, etc. I think Harry was at one point had hoped to connect the two rail lines. CMRR west of Phoenicia has a good deal of its tracks wiped out by the Esopus when it flooded (BTW, I make the whitewater release requests of the NYS DEC for the Esopus Creek and Co Chair the Recreational Stream Access Committee of the Ashkokan Watershed Stream Management Program - I'm active in the area as it's a great place to unplug and recharge, worth protecting and preserving).

I liked the reflection of the sky in the water, and your use of your gimbal. Nice bridge. A pity when it eventually goes. I spotted you in the bushes at the end!! LOL

Great ideas!!

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sky3d