Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

4Hawks For Evo

JTMan

Reaction score
Has anyone here bought and installed this range extender? Our remote is nothing like the other drone remotes in that the others on the market have less hassle to get inside of them. From what I see, there are no exposed screws, or hidden screws for that matter. There are two main bolt/nuts that hold the unit together, and they're underneath the orange dots at the underside base of the handles. Aside from that, the rest of the unit appears to be held together with internal clips. I broke my first remote beyond warranty repair so I tried to open it and I wound up breaking the handle bolts.

I have an RMA to send back the replacement I got in September because of the antenna pin issue but I decided to order the 4Hawks range extender because I thought that this is the perfect opportunity to try and install one. They supposedly come with the tools and instructions. Umm, no. There are no instructions, there are no tutorials online, and the only tool I got was a POS little wrench that doesn't really fit anything. I used my first older remote to see if the wrench would fit the handle nut, and it doesn't. Who has done this install, and how did you do it? Please share.

I think the mod for this remote is pretty complicated. Titan who will do the DJI RC mods (for $100) will not do the EVO, however Titan recommended CovertDrones.com and they charge $200. Someone else here had CovertDrones.com do his Titan mod.
New Titan "Switch" Antenna on the way This cost difference insinuates added difficulty doing the EVO RC.

Well that is frustrating. I'm really disappointed in 4Hawks for selling a product that doesn't have any instructions whatsoever, but also with myself for not researching a bit more.

Reactions: Boyblueeye
Pop off the orange caps on the handles and remove nut and washer from each side... the handles will pull off... You'll have to peel off the sticker on the back and there is 2 small screws to remove... than take small pick and open the 2 little access covers. Carefully remove the connector and ribbon from each side... using the pick you'll go around the whole outer edge of remote and pop the back off.... then just pull the old antennas and the wire with connectors.... install the new ones....

Let me know if you need any help or want to see pics...

Did mine about a month ago and works good.... no issues...

Aaron

If you have pics, or even video, that would be a massive help. Thanks for chiming in. I'm still debating on doing this but I'm just not excited about potentially destroying another remote.

20190105_200930.jpg

Attachments

• 20190105_200349.jpg
    20190105_200349.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 48
  • 20190105_200357.jpg
    20190105_200357.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 47
  • 20190105_200452.jpg
    20190105_200452.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 47
  • 20190105_200924.jpg
    20190105_200924.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 45
  • 20190105_200225.jpg
    20190105_200225.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 46
  • 20190105_200217.jpg
    20190105_200217.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 46
  • 20190105_200232.jpg
    20190105_200232.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 46
I think the mod for this remote is pretty complicated. Titan who will do the DJI RC mods (for $100) will not do the EVO, however Titan recommended CovertDrones.com and they charge $200. Someone else here had CovertDrones.com do his Titan mod.
New Titan "Switch" Antenna on the way This cost difference insinuates added difficulty doing the EVO RC.

I made it to the second flight before my controller started giving me "stick error" and then it would not do anything. I ended up just trashing that one and buying a new controller.

If you have pics, or even video, that would be a massive help. Thanks for chiming in. I'm still debating on doing this but I'm just not excited about potentially destroying another remote.

There is also some info on this topic on Facebook, Autel Robotics Evo Owners Group, a coupler to allow a 4Hawks and a LiftThor on the same remote is apparently in development.

Reactions: mixchief
Pop off the orange caps on the handles and remove nut and washer from each side... the handles will pull off... You'll have to peel off the sticker on the back and there is 2 small screws to remove... than take small pick and open the 2 little access covers. Carefully remove the connector and ribbon from each side... using the pick you'll go around the whole outer edge of remote and pop the back off.... then just pull the old antennas and the wire with connectors.... install the new ones....

Let me know if you need any help or want to see pics...

Did mine about a month ago and works good.... no issues...

Aaron
Does it extend the range in populated areas? What was your distances before and after the installation?

I use a 4 Hawks on my Typhoon H for range/video strength but can't understand why you would need one with the Evo? The range and video signal is outstanding here in Alaska.

I use a 4 Hawks on my Typhoon H for range/video strength but can't understand why you would need one with the Evo? The range and video signal is outstanding here in Alaska.
Most likely, you wouldn't need any kind of signal boost in Alaska unless you was in the midst of a mess of wifi signals. Say downtown Anchorage... I guess.

In good open territory, the distance can get quite nerve racking to some pilots.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigmaxsg