Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

2 questions regarding XSP batteries

bjtap

Reaction score
1) I had one battery, since replaced by Autel, that swelled. But before being replaced CS suggested to wait to see if the swelling goes down. Can this happen? Is this safe?

2) I had, confirmed by Autel CS, had a battery experience a sudden drop causing the XSP to land quite a distance away. Fortunately I was able to 'walk out there' and retrieve the XSP which did land safely. The question: CS is having me discharge down to 7% and then recharge. I would then send them a picture of the batteries condition from Starlink. Even if it reads just fine is this any kind of a guarantee that the battery won't have another sudden drop in voltage. I may not be so lucky the next time and be able to retrieve the XSP as I often fly in mountainous areas.

Thanks,
Barry

These are my personal experiences.

No, a swelled battery won't magically fix itself. I've had three that swelled so much they were a challenge to insert/remove from the XSP.

It is suggested the batteries periodically be discharged to 7% and recharged. Read the maintenance instructions that come with the batteries for clarity.

I have not observed any correction to the battery drop situation by doing this. There have been other suggestions on here regarding that situation, none of which have fixed the problem. My "drop" problem surfaced after I did the last update. Never experienced it before.

I just heard back from Autel CS regarding the drop.

"We do this procedure to test out if you will get a drop again, you can fly at a low altitude for a few minutes and see if you experience another drop. If you do then we can replace your battery, if not we can go from there and attempt another test flight to see if we have fixed the issue at hand.

Most battery drops do occur because of temperature changes and other storage factors, not necessarily because of malfunction in the battery. So we like to check all of the boxes before we move on to the replacement process!"

Well, since the temperature was in the mid 70's and my batteries are stored indoors in the Autel case I doubt that was the cause. Also, what are the odds, starting with a fully charged battery that the drop would occur within a 'few minutes'? Isn't most likely to occur when the charge gets down to around 35% or so?

Oh well... I will do as they ask but I am not thrilled about the possible loss of the XSP.

Happened to me twice. Once, I lost the drone, Autel replaced it. It was very sudden, 10 secs at most left to fly, over a waterfall. 2nd time, I had about 30 sec to fly-up an ocean cliff and get it close to me, sweating profusely.

I asked the same questions, and Agustine posted the info doc packed in the battery box (that I tossed somewhere:(), I now practice extreme battery maintenance, only charge right before I fly, or at most, the night before. I go down to 7% every 15 flights, even though 20 is the normal temp. number. I keep a battery journal. I haven’t had a problem since...

Reactions: dronechimp
Do not fly your drone over any area where you would not want it to land.

Water, trees, cement surfaces, rocky areas, and so on, and so on.

Thats not acceptable to me. A $1K drone shouldn't have such a restriction.

Last fall mine dropped in a corn field where I was videoing a combine running. He missed it by 5ft.

If I can't fly near moving equipment I may as well park the drone. :(

Reactions: Jagerbomb52
Thats not acceptable to me. A $1K drone shouldn't have such a restriction.

Last fall mine dropped in a corn field where I was videoing a combine running. He missed it by 5ft.

If I can't fly near moving equipment I may as well park the drone. :(
I agree. I’d have never bought a drone if I couldn’t fly it where I can’t go on foot! I regularly fly over forests, waterfalls, ocean cliffs, way out to sea, etc. I fly where the best imagery is...no pain, no gain. Practicing good battery maintenance is key...

I fly where the best imagery is...no pain, no gain. Practicing good battery maintenance is key...

I agree also but I can tell you the pain I felt in my wallet the day I lost one of my Q 500's in the gorge below the waterfalls I fly over was not a nice feeling :) Even lost my very expensive brand new Micro SD card LOL
It was not a good day ;)

Reactions: HiloHawaiian
I agree also but I can tell you the pain I felt in my wallet the day I lost one of my Q 500's in the gorge below the waterfalls I fly over was not a nice feeling :) Even lost my very expensive brand new Micro SD card LOL
It was not a good day ;)
Yea, I’ve had that same “sinking” feeling when I lost the XSP at Pe’e Pe’e Falls. Not only was I unprepared to loose the drone, it suddenly hit me how stupid I was to not be changing SD cards on each flight. I lost a bunch of great waterfall footage in 30 sec. Yea, Autel replaced that drone, but they didn’t replace the one I crashed into an ocean cliff while talking to a passerby.... :(. A local boy climbed down and grabbed it (dangerous, I couldn’t stop him), it somehow didn’t fall into the pounding surf. The rocks weren’t kind. Camera/gimbal gone, XSP amazingly survived. New cameras are only $200 less than a refurb XSP!

Well, my XSP, dosent like water, and is afraid of heights. My Phantom acts a little squirrelly sometimes too.

Make sure that the aircraft has the latest firmware update and that you calibrate the compass before you fly it.

It was not a good day ;)
If we can’t explore beautiful places, but have to keep our UAV close what’s the point.

If we can’t explore beautiful places, but have to keep our UAV close what’s the point.
Exactly. It’s hard, but you need to come to grips with the fact you could loose your XSP every time you fly. Flying around my house gets boring. Flying out to sea, or across canyons/rivers/waterfalls is scary, but that’s how you get compelling imagery. Of the 100+ flights over irretrievable terrain / ocean, I’ve had 3 bad crashes. Once, my fault being too gutsy (low), but I did get it back after 2 days of searching. Another time, the aforementioned ocean cliff crash (never talk to folks while flying), and lastly the bad battery that died in 20 sec., I no chance, but Autel replaced it. Moral of the story(s) — go for it...

Reactions: Jagerbomb52
I agree. I’d have never bought a drone if I couldn’t fly it where I can’t go on foot! I regularly fly over forests, waterfalls, ocean cliffs, way out to sea, etc. I fly where the best imagery is...no pain, no gain. Practicing good battery maintenance is key...
Well, Mine wanted to go out into the ocean, so it did. bad lost. Not sure about how long I can hold on to my bird. because it won't take any battery that's not autel! anyone know how to reprogram the software?

Ok, I’m confused...Why would you want to put anything but Autel batteries on your XSP? It’s not just the battery, but the built-in custom electronics? If there was a “hack”, how would you bet it to fit in the slot, let alone respond as expected via the App. That’d be dancing with the devil IMHO.

Reactions: Jcasteel89
Ok, I’m confused...Why would you want to put anything but Autel batteries on your XSP? It’s not just the battery, but the built-in custom electronics? If there was a “hack”, how would you bet it to fit in the slot, let alone respond as expected via the App. That’d be dancing with the devil IMHO.

Well it cost to much to ship to Thailand when they have some! and lo-in batters can do a great job. and can be replaced in the future

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials