Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Tile Type Trackers!

Catweazle

Reaction score
With winter approaching that means more gusty onshore and offshore winds. Methinks I should be applying a tracker. Are there any pilots using Tile trackers?. I saw a U Tube Video demo for them and was a bit dubious about the use of Bluetooth, rather than GPS.

I have a Garmin GPSMap 64S that I use for hiking. and am hoping it could be utilised for the EVO. as a primary or secondary tracker.

I believe those tile trackers are very limited to distance are they not? One of the better trackers is the The Marco Polo but it is pricey for sure. I had the Trackimo’s GPS Tracker for a while but at the time they only worked on 2G networks and my network was 3G at the time so it had problems in some areas. They now make 3G ones that work better. The other problem is with the smaller size UAVs, (foldable) is where to mount them. So size does matter.

I believe those tile trackers are very limited to distance are they not? One of the better trackers is the The Marco Polo but it is pricey for sure. I had the Trackimo’s GPS Tracker for a while but at the time they only worked on 2G networks and my network was 3G at the time so it had problems in some areas. They now make 3G ones that work better. The other problem is with the smaller size UAVs, (foldable) is where to mount them. So size does matter.
Yea, I think Tile is enhanced Bluetooth? Even the new Pro model only has a range of 90 meters....

I would not use a tile type tracker. They are just not reliable and have a very limited range. Trackimo with a 3d printed holder from Ebay should do it.

I've got a great little tracker. I'll make a video about it and post it for you to see. It's cheap, very small and very effective with a range of a couple miles or more, depending on terrain. After seeing the tile trackers and some of the others, I wouldn't go that route. They are too limited. The one I found is by Distance-RC.com. Less than $30.

Reactions: Heckmaniac`s Drone
The Marco Polo Rc is the best one. It works up to two miles. I have had my Evo emergency land a few times and I have it back within a few minutes.

Reactions: romi
Just for clarification I thought the EVO had some kind of a finder within its software, am I way off on this one ?

Just for clarification I thought the EVO had some kind of a finder within its software, am I way off on this one ?
It has last known GPS location in Explorer App and only for Android. If you have an emergency like a disconnect and low battery, It will try to return home so it could be anywhere between the drone and home until it reconnects. If the app crashes or you accidentally switch out, that data could be lost. Also GPS may be off by several hundred feet and if its a wooded area or high grass or buildings, you may be close and never find it, especially if the battery dies and you can't reconnect when you get close. I have experienced all of these scenarios and bought a tracker. No problem since, but I have had my Evo out to 4 miles with a 4Hawks modded controller and did make it back, barley. It will not make it back in RTH if you are out over 13,000 ft. It will make it back if you manually fly it back in 34 mph mode. It will not make it back if you have a head wind over 5mph at that distance. Always fly out into the wind.

You're right. The tracking range of the tile tracker is too small. After all, it only uses Bluetooth tracking and is only suitable as a wallet finder at home. Marco Polo is the most ideal drone tracker, but I can't afford it. So I looked for some other small GPS as an alternative. It does take some effort to install, but they are cheaper.

I’m someone who always looses keys, I used Tiles for 3+yr with poor results. They have other issues besides short range. I’ve been waiting for someone to rethink this, maybe Apple AirTags will? Using the cloud, AR, and a few tricks might be a game changer, but probably not for Drones...

I’m someone who always looses keys, I used Tiles for 3+yr with poor results. They have other issues besides short range. I’ve been waiting for someone to rethink this, maybe Apple AirTags will? Using the cloud, AR, and a few tricks might be a game changer, but probably not for Drones...

Didn't the Magic Finder work for you?

I've got a great little tracker. I'll make a video about it and post it for you to see. It's cheap, very small and very effective with a range of a couple miles or more, depending on terrain. After seeing the tile trackers and some of the others, I wouldn't go that route. They are too limited. The one I found is by Distance-RC.com. Less than $30.
Please post the video - would be very interested in seeing how a reciever would pick up the signal. Also where and how you mount it to your EVO. Sounds like a great solution - I take it the are no monthly fees - correct?

I've used a Tile for some time with my Spark. Its not going to help you pinpoint it at a distance, however, if you have a fair idea of where the drone came down, you can zero in on where it is, long grass for example, then make it chime and use your ears to find it. I tested this in one of my fields, and was able to use BT to locate at about 200 feet. Tile Pro.

I've thought about the MarcoPolo. This "Distance-RC" thing is interesting.... do tell!

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kingraja