Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Thermography and related training/certifications

pedals2paddles

Reaction score
Is the $2200 FLIR Infrared Training Center Level 1 sUAS Certification the industry standard for saying you're "certified" in thermography with a drone? I honestly can't find any other actual certifications to speak of. I also found just quickly googling, that Clemson offers a Applied UAS Thermography course for $1500 and adding the Level 1 certification is a $300 add on. I'm sure there's more, haven't spent more time digging yet. Does anyone else have other options or recommendations for training and certifications in this field?

I'm looking for potential options to expand into the thermography field now that I have a 640R payload. Being able to use the word "certified" I'm sure goes a long way. And I imagine becomes required if you want to submit findings for insurance companies, solar farms, etc?

Reactions: RPM
I was asking the same looked all over, The certified is hmm as what all say as it not really a certification standard.
FLIR is good but they like to sell their equipment. I think any good Training is good even if you get training not for UAS and it just a camera, If you know how to todo mapping taking pictures noting different with Thermal. yes some considerations with what drone, Look at Raptor maps they list drones and what GSD it needed etc
As DJI you need to fly lower, The spec on MAX 4N vs 4T seems different on thermal camera (9mm, 13mm,xxx), fly it different altitude to get GSD, So for solar inspections , roof, power line etc you might need some extra work. I went with Infraspection - Home not cheap, $2200 do it think it was worth it, maybe not but reputable training and are not selling equipment and seems to have some influence in the industry and distance learning. Some of the material seems outdated but the meat of the things is the same. I might even get Level 2 as I use it in other areas also. And I think the "Certified" will help as its some considerations to think about and can be used in legal situations also.
Its cheaper alternatives but not sure how reputable they are but some training is very important. I think it should be max $1000 but its a sale pitch, no real standard but they give you a certificate that says "Certified" :)

My 2 cents hope that help a bit.
hmm, Maybe i need to add that to my signature ...

Last edited:
Reactions: EBERLS
It does seem like a bit of a racket since the largest recognized training program happens to be owned and operated by the company selling equipment. ITC and Infraspection are now approx the same price. But Infraspection doesn't have a UAS focused class.

hmm, Maybe i need to add that to my signature...
I just noticed "Foldable paper plane 8.5 x 11" and literally laughed out loud. Well played.

• Haha
Reactions: AtoZ
It does seem like a bit of a racket since the largest recognized training program happens to be owned and operated by the company selling equipment. ITC and Infraspection are now approx the same price. But Infraspection doesn't have a UAS focused class.

I just noticed "Foldable paper plane 8.5 x 11" and literally laughed out loud. Well played.
I wanted to do the ITC because of the UAS but my schedule did not work out so I did the distance learning with Infraspection, Learn at your own pace.

Lol yes My paper plane does not run out of batteries, cheap to repair. Did lot of other RC flying before drones, Planes and Helicopters.

Good luck.

But as a basic what Raptor want from a 640R
Now if you go with say GRC well I think all apply also.
You can basically apply that to any thermal you doing but some training what setting does and used for is, hmm important ....
As in temp. humidity, emissivity :)

Now with drones... height, reflectivity how is the inspection track to avoiding that.

I thought it was just ice or fire geee,

Yes @pedals2paddles I'm adding more as I think its a pain to think about and thats thermal :)

So when you all take the UAS specific please tell me what you learned as I like to know.

Thanks.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marwan