Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

BlairAir

Reaction score
I am trying to get a frame of reference for this "potential" issue on a one month old V2 E2P. I am patiently awaiting my V2 Smart Controller... okay not patiently. More like losing my damn mind, but since it's not relevant to this, I will move along. lol

The behavior of my particular Evo 2 Pro may not be within spec, and if not, I want to know what I can do to further analyze, troubleshoot and document the issue. Like all Evo 2 drones, Dynamic Tracking is quite dynamic indeed. If I hadn't bought Autel Care or whatever the insurance is, I am not sure how much I would use it. When I first tested it, it worked well, and, like this drone is known to do, it scared the crap out of me, running to within a foot of small branches on trees, and other objects. It didn't crash, though it did clip a few leaves here and there.

I have a "Test Scenario" that is a tight, tree-lined path out of the park behind my house that goes to the street. There is a nearly complete canopy of tree branches and the tree trunks on either side are perhaps 20-25 feet apart, from one side to the other. The Evo 2 got through both times I walked ahead of it, once lowering altitude to avoid it taking the "High Road" over the trees even though I am not sure it would have done that.

So CHECK! Just as expected. I wasn't thrilled with the wide swing directly into the road when I turned right as I came out of the tunnel, but the drone was never taught to look both ways before crossing, and again, it was working as I understand it is supposed to.

Cut to last few days. I will be in an open area. In an empty parking area, black asphalt with white painted parking spaces. Drone is 15-20 feet up, 20 feet in front of me. Put it in Dynamic Tracking, it does the count down, then rushed me like it wants to bluff me into backing up first, lol. Now it gets weird. It moves around as they are prone to do, but too much movement. I am standing perfectly still and its going side to side 6 feet, 8 feet. Its going up, going down maybe 10 feet max. Instead of stablizing it gets worse. It's doing a jig, and I am still as a rock. It just never stableilses. I don't recal it doing this before. Certainly not at this level.

I have:

cleaned all sensor lenses - very well
run all calibrations - Compass, IMU, Gimbal - several times. In several different sequences, with the last one completed being each of the 3 calibrations.
wiped the cache, and reinstalled the app.

I have NOT:

Run the obstacle avoidance calibration at the computer. Does it make sense to do this? It looks relatively straight forward, but a bit involved pointing the drone at numerous visual patterns. I don't know if the sensors have any input in tracking, or if their role is strictly protective while doing tracking modes.

Any thoughts from folks with more experience with the V1/V2 appreciated. The primary difference between them is the radio band usage, so I don't think this is a "V2" issue, I am just putting it here because, uh... it's a V2, lol.

Thoughts greatly appreciated!

I am trying to get a frame of reference for this "potential" issue on a one month old V2 E2P. I am patiently awaiting my V2 Smart Controller... okay not patiently. More like losing my damn mind, but since it's not relevant to this, I will move along. lol

The behavior of my particular Evo 2 Pro may not be within spec, and if not, I want to know what I can do to further analyze, troubleshoot and document the issue. Like all Evo 2 drones, Dynamic Tracking is quite dynamic indeed. If I hadn't bought Autel Care or whatever the insurance is, I am not sure how much I would use it. When I first tested it, it worked well, and, like this drone is known to do, it scared the crap out of me, running to within a foot of small branches on trees, and other objects. It didn't crash, though it did clip a few leaves here and there.

I have a "Test Scenario" that is a tight, tree-lined path out of the park behind my house that goes to the street. There is a nearly complete canopy of tree branches and the tree trunks on either side are perhaps 20-25 feet apart, from one side to the other. The Evo 2 got through both times I walked ahead of it, once lowering altitude to avoid it taking the "High Road" over the trees even though I am not sure it would have done that.

So CHECK! Just as expected. I wasn't thrilled with the wide swing directly into the road when I turned right as I came out of the tunnel, but the drone was never taught to look both ways before crossing, and again, it was working as I understand it is supposed to.

Cut to last few days. I will be in an open area. In an empty parking area, black asphalt with white painted parking spaces. Drone is 15-20 feet up, 20 feet in front of me. Put it in Dynamic Tracking, it does the count down, then rushed me like it wants to bluff me into backing up first, lol. Now it gets weird. It moves around as they are prone to do, but too much movement. I am standing perfectly still and its going side to side 6 feet, 8 feet. Its going up, going down maybe 10 feet max. Instead of stablizing it gets worse. It's doing a jig, and I am still as a rock. It just never stableilses. I don't recal it doing this before. Certainly not at this level.

I have:

run all calibrations - Compass, IMU, Gimbal - several times. In several different sequences, with the last one completed being each of the 3 calibrations.

I have NOT:

Run the obstacle avoidance calibration at the computer. Does it make sense to do this? It looks relatively straight forward, but a bit involved pointing the drone at numerous visual patterns. I don't know if the sensors have any input in tracking, or if their role is strictly protective while doing tracking modes.

Any thoughts from folks with more experience with the V1/V2 appreciated. The primary difference between them is the radio band usage, so I don't think this is a "V2" issue, I am just putting it here because, uh... it's a V2, lol.

I have:

I have NOT:

Blair air, Hi from Australia,
You don't mention whether you have calibrated the sensors with the computer app. This is the only thing that I can think of that directly would cause the behaviour. Give it a try, there are video's showing you how to achieve this. Johnno Hennessy. Keep flying on the green side of the grass.

Reactions: BlairAir
Blair air, Hi from Australia,
You don't mention whether you have calibrated the sensors with the computer app. This is the only thing that I can think of that directly would cause the behaviour. Give it a try, there are video's showing you how to achieve this. Johnno Hennessy. Keep flying on the green side of the grass.
I haven't... Yet. Interesting you should suggest it as I'm planning to do it tomorrow, just due diligence, not sure it will help, but fairly certain it won't hurt! My Sister is in Freshwater, NSW, been an Aussie since the 1970s..My mom is from Ashfield and Her and my dad married in Sydney in 1943 (yep, she married a yank. They wnt back and forth for decades and spent the best retirement years in Sydney area! Always glad to hear the drones don't fly upside down where you are! After all, you drive on the wrong side of the road! 😉

I have:

I have NOT:

Did you

I have:

I have NOT:

Did you get your Smart Controller?. Is video transmission laggy? I notice that it is laggy.... I am not 100% happy with SC performance.

Yes, got it. It's not necessarily "laggy" explorer when the drone is more a
than a few thousand feet out, but the standard controller isn't any better at distance, I think due to Autels method of command ack, so much of the potential range can suffer in busy wifi environments.
It's a great display, but the rest is hugely underdeveloped. No updates in months, no promised IOS features like Time Shift, Indoor Mode or HD photo sync. They don't fix bugs, and marketed this thing like it was the holy grail of controllers. It's not horrible at all, don't mistake my complaints as hating on it. But it falls SO FAR SHORT of what it could have been. Then Autel decided they weren't spread thin ENOUGH, and decided to develop not one or two but FOUR more drones, all aimed at consumers. I get the chicken and egg equation: they need to sell drones to build up the company, but at the size they are, they will never sell many drones. Maybe the Automotive Scanner parent will actually invest in Autel Robotics. Don't hold your breath though.
Another pet peeve is the 3 second delay on the "pause/brake button. What the hell 😳 that's a huge safety issue when you need to stop an autonomous flight mode, a landing, or anything about to be an accident.
I've now asked Autel about it 11 separate times, each of which gets exactly ONE response then they ignore me.
I wonder if they will ignore a huge lawsuit when someone gets hurt.
Idiots. Plain and simple.

Reactions: Shain Rufus
Yes, got it. It's not necessarily "laggy" explorer when the drone is more a
than a few thousand feet out, but the standard controller isn't any better at distance, I think due to Autels method of command ack, so much of the potential range can suffer in busy wifi environments.
It's a great display, but the rest is hugely underdeveloped. No updates in months, no promised IOS features like Time Shift, Indoor Mode or HD photo sync. They don't fix bugs, and marketed this thing like it was the holy grail of controllers. It's not horrible at all, don't mistake my complaints as hating on it. But it falls SO FAR SHORT of what it could have been. Then Autel decided they weren't spread thin ENOUGH, and decided to develop not one or two but FOUR more drones, all aimed at consumers. I get the chicken and egg equation: they need to sell drones to build up the company, but at the size they are, they will never sell many drones. Maybe the Automotive Scanner parent will actually invest in Autel Robotics. Don't hold your breath though.
Another pet peeve is the 3 second delay on the "pause/brake button. What the hell 😳 that's a huge safety issue when you need to stop an autonomous flight mode, a landing, or anything about to be an accident.
I've now asked Autel about it 11 separate times, each of which gets exactly ONE response then they ignore me.
I wonder if they will ignore a huge lawsuit when someone gets hurt.
Idiots. Plain and simple.
couldn't the same be said for an 18-wheeler truck: depending on how heavy the load, sometimes it takes a few extra seconds to come to a stop. not ideal but isn't it up to pilot to know and understand how their bird flies and then fly accordingly? i honestly expect the drone to almost stop on a dime because my other drones do...for the most part. when i cover the button, i understand i have to be more cautious and allow for more time when it comes to the autel because this is what i've learned from flying it. tell me again how this is a safety issue? i realize we are talking about the "delay" to engage and not just the time it takes to come to a halt but isn't that a distinction without a difference? btw, i should test it again lately...i don't think im up to 3 seconds which would be little bit too long for me. when the drone is flying a mission, i have to hope the sensors can react faster than me on the button. i've seen some cars where the cruise control takes a few seconds to disengage using the switch (but not engage with the brake which is generally instantaneous) but close enough. i think the argument is going to be "it's a button not an airbrake" or "there could be interference..." something along those lines.

isn't it up to pilot to know and understand how their bird flies and then fly accordingly? i honestly expect the drone to almost stop on a dime because my other drones do...for the most part.
I have not tested this myself, but if indeed tapping the pause button does not pause the drone as fast as signal quality allows, but rather triggers a 3 second delay after which the drone actually pauses, I would say it's programmed incorrectly. Simple.

The good news it that it could be easily corrected in fw, IF they want to. I wouldn't want a 3 second delay on my shutter trigger either.

Reactions: dirkclod
I have not tested this myself, but if indeed tapping the pause button does not pause the drone as fast as signal quality allows, but rather triggers a 3 second delay after which the drone actually pauses, I would say it's programmed incorrectly. Simple.

The good news it that it could be easily corrected in fw, IF they want to. I wouldn't want a 3 second delay on my shutter trigger either.
oh ok, i will check and see. hopefully this isn't something that comes and goes so it would be worse if you didn't know if it's reliable or not.

couldn't the same be said for an 18-wheeler truck: depending on how heavy the load, sometimes it takes a few extra seconds to come to a stop. not ideal but isn't it up to pilot to know and understand how their bird flies and then fly accordingly? i honestly expect the drone to almost stop on a dime because my other drones do...for the most part. when i cover the button, i understand i have to be more cautious and allow for more time when it comes to the autel because this is what i've learned from flying it. tell me again how this is a safety issue? i realize we are talking about the "delay" to engage and not just the time it takes to come to a halt but isn't that a distinction without a difference? btw, i should test it again lately...i don't think im up to 3 seconds which would be little bit too long for me. when the drone is flying a mission, i have to hope the sensors can react faster than me on the button. i've seen some cars where the cruise control takes a few seconds to disengage using the switch (but not engage with the brake which is generally instantaneous) but close enough. i think the argument is going to be "it's a button not an airbrake" or "there could be interference..." something along those lines.
My primary point on the delay is, it is not the way it behaves on the standard controller. Instant stop. As it should be.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sky3d