Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Tech Question about remote control connectivity.

Stillers

Reaction score
Can anyone fill me in on the nuts and bolts of the USB link between the controller and device? What's the connections protocol? Does the connection require USB 2.0 or 3.0? Does it depend on an OTG connection? Just curious about the tech requirements for connecting to a device. Ive got a very unique situation that extremely restricts the resources available for tech support and am having to troubleshoot a connectivity issue on my own and can't find this info anywhere and suspect it may be a factor in my problem.

You can use any USB cord to connect your phone to the controller. You can use the USB 2.0 end of the cord or you can use the micro USB. It will work with either connection configuration.

Can someone tell me if the Remote-Signal is secured on transmission, is it technicly possible someone with techskills listens in on my remotesignal and takes over my dronecontrole? I'm experiencing an annomaly, that pointet in that direktion. Is it technicly possible? Someone an Idea?

I like USB-C and have external SSD bays that run at Thunderbolt 3 speeds over them so I don't need any sketchy cables that are 50X-100X slower in my bag. I also have had to replace entire phones when the the MINI USB cable socket wear got extreme. Since Autel provides a USB A connector as well as Mini USB on the controller, it's easy to reduce the wear by half and use the mini jack only for charging. There are a ton of junk USB-A to C charger cables that are WAY overpriced...NOT USB-C speeds. Hardly sufficient with data if at all. You want a blue insulator on the A side! Dunno why they're considerably harder to find than 2.0 but short right angle USB-A 3.1 to right angle USB-C do exist--with RF shielding-- nevertheless, they tend to be almost ridiculously cheap, and vinyl jacketed. I'm still looking for orange however. I'd pay good money for silicone jacketed short RA USB-A 3.1 to RA USB-C pigtail in a neon red or orange that is shielded. (Easier to find when it inevitably falls out of pocket or gets mislaid on my black benchtop)

Last edited:
An unshielded video/data cable millimeters away from and parallel to your R/C antennae is sketchy design simply because it might detune them. Rerouting it perpendicular and using a shielded cable is, I think, cheap insurance against that. Your drone is not so vulnerable to a malicious signal being injected over even the worst-shielded cabling. As attacks go, swamping the RF signal or spoofing GPS or taking over your phone with a Stingray device would be an order of magnitude simpler. That said, unshielded cables do radiate signal and potentially could be an avenue for sophisticated NSA-level surveillance, say if you were flying near a big drug cartel operation or a hostile/foreign government doesn't like your ENG coverage of their regime, for instance. Even if the video over the radio link was encypted, which I seriously doubt. At the end of the day, these are mass-produced prosumer devices... Made in China...and not hardened Mil-spec units

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sky3d